Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus approved used - Negotiate on this car

Oracle

I've tried it a couple of times just for the hell of it and had no reply to the first. With the second they got back to me eventually but had no record of the offer, simply that I'd made an enquiry and they were calling me back. This made me wonder about the lines of communication. I guess the offer / details are received elsewhere and forwarded to the relevant dealer where it may or may not be picked up.

The cynic in me tells me its simply a tool to generate interest and for them to get your details and take it from there. Traditionally Lexus tend not to reduce their screen price much unless its on their terms, so an offer would have to be very close to the advertised price, notwithstanding most people would actually want to view the car first.  

• Like 1

I know someone who was on the receiving end of these at a dealership. He used to go mad, as he said that they are obliged to provide a formal response. He told me that offers used to land that were half of the asking price.

He said it took a bit of his time up to politely respond (NO)

I know that it was normally a given to accept an offer of a couple of percent less so on a 20000 transaction , 19600 would normally be accepted.

Although the market is so buoyant right now the only positive is that the car your after must be aimed at a very narrow market so perhaps an offer of up to 5 percent off would be accepted...who knows? Worth a try

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oracle said:

Browsing approved used LC's atm and saw the 'negotiate on this car' option - has anyone used this vs in person haggling?

Yes I did this when I brought my current car. I made an offer first before going to view. The offer was accepted (at the time £1k less than the asking price - those were the days) subject to my viewing. The car was on the other side of the Country. Travelled to view loved the car and purchased and drove away that day. That was a long day.

I had a trade in + 4% off the listed price accepted.  They initially refused and we parted ways (I had a budget in mind and wasn't going to move from it) but they called back on the way home and agreed the deal over the phone.  This was 6 months ago or so.

• Like 2

I suspect a crisis coming....head will say hybrid, heart will say V8 once you hear the exhaust note....Good luck with the test drives 👍and enjoy whatever power train you decide upon as the LC in any guise will tur. heads.

2 hours ago, Duggie B said:

I suspect a crisis coming....head will say hybrid, heart will say V8 once you hear the exhaust note....Good luck with the test drives 👍and enjoy whatever power train you decide upon as the LC in any guise will tur. heads.

Agreed, I am doing the hybrid first then traveling to another Lexus dealer for the v8 - I currently drive a Tesla model 3 performance so its going to be odd to pay more for a slower car. The heart definitely is interested in the v8 but the stealth of the hybrid also appeals.

The second thing you will notice,after its stunning looks,is the quality of all the materials and fit and finish.

I had a 4 day demo of the Hybrid as it was all my nearest dealer had and was very impressed,coming from a new M2 Competition. I attempted to complete a deal but very close was not close enough.However,I secured a demo same week of a V8 ,which had been my original aim and that was it.

The V6 in the hybrid is fine but the V8 elevates the experience both in terms of torque/performance and unmistakable sound.I have maintained about 30 mpg in the 2 years I have owned it.

These are special cars.

Look forward to your update.

A J.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJ500 said:

and unmistakable sound.

The first experience of my GSF was that first cold start up on my test drive of which I likened to god clearing his throat, don't get me started once it hit 4K revs, and GSF is more subdued (stock) than the LC on the exhaust front.

Once you get bitten eh !

Well after 7 hours driving and and hour or so of test drives I'm back home. 

First up the hybrid in deep blue and ochre interior. Generally good condition though needed a deep clean a trim piece replaced and some swirl marks removed. Loved the external colour and the interior but it did make it feel a bit old at first glance. 

Performance was more than acceptable, fake noise and gear shifts made it feel like a video game, which isn't a bad thing. The 'box felt a bit snatchy at times and for a 2017 car the interior seemed well worn (the paint steering wheel controls was coming off). Rear seats are a joke but at a push it could get my youngest in there. One thing that did suprise me is how much I could feel the car move when the engine came on, I had a similar experience in my leggy 400h but assumed it was down to worn engine mounts. Clearly it's a feature of the power unit. 

Then I drove to Coventry to see a V8 in red with a black interior. The change in interior colour made it feel more modern, serious even. I wasn't blown away by the noise, it sounded nice but after electric cars there is some aspect of it just being exactly that, noise. 

As mentioned above my Tesla does 0-60 in 3.1, so whilst the sound was something I don't know if it was a game changer for me. It also felt like there was more road noise compared to the hybrid. The gear box was indeed faster and more precise but again, not sure if it's enough to make a difference for me. 

Overall both drivetrains are excellent, and testing one with the HUD really made me miss it in the other. 

Whilst I won't likely buy that example of the hybrid it certainly wasn't the open and shut case I had expected. The V8 being in red (future paint damage and colour matching scares me) and lacking the HUD probably counts that one out. 

Great fun though. 

10 hours ago, Duggie B said:

Doesn't sound like you'll be joining the Lexus fold it seems !!

Oh don’t get me wrong I’m pretty sold on the LC500, it would be my 3rd Lexus. Just a question of finding one in the right spec. I am sad that they still seem to use the same reversing camera as my old RX400h though. 

Re the noise comment, when it’s that loud and still slow (in comparison to what I have), I’m on the fence. I thought I would have a more emotive reaction to it, especially after the sterile/clinical nature of the Tesla. Both are great options. I am still surprised at the hybrid, oddly I think it suits the cars character more than the v8. 

I think my route to the car is different to most on here coming from an electric. Lots to ponder today. 

The real shame of the v8 is that it’s missing the HUD, any idea if it can be retrofitted? I assume not. We’ll see what the dealer(s) come up with price wise today. 

My LC does not have HUD and I wondered if I would miss it as its been in most of our BMWs but to be fair I havent even thought about it. I really think that the experience of owning the LC will outweigh its shortcomings which get highlighted,eg trackpad.These are pretty minor for me and easy to get used to.I said earlier about the quality of the materials etc and this becomes more apparent when you get into another car having lived with the LC.This is why I was surprised by your findings of one of the demo cars having damaged/worn trim.My car has no signs of any of this.

Looking forward to reading what you decide.

A J.

Tbf these are 5 year & 4 year old cars but the hybrid had a missing badge (on order) and had paint repair so alongside the worn interior it felt like that it hadn't been loved. 

The V8 was 1 owner originally sold by the same dealer who then returned to when they traded in against a LC convertible which is a good sign. 

I came to my LC500h after upgrading from an RC300h, so my experience is pretty much just one of increased size and speed. I didn't want the V8, as I'm not a particularly fast driver and also thought the fuel bills would be pointlessly high.Quality is pretty much spot-on, the attention it gets is nuts, and I would happily have another one in 2-3 years, assuming nothing else comes along. As to the HUD, mine has it and I never use it. I find it useless and a distraction; like there's something in the road ahead that I can't quite see properly, that I'm going to hit if I'm not careful.

So I’ve just put down a deposit on the V8. Reasoning being it’s the last time I’m going to have the option, all cars from this point are going to be EV  

It was in great condition and I managed to get a good deal on my trade in and on the car so the cost to change is small, £59440 for a 2018 sport model with 12k on the clock was too good to turn down. 

Collect this Saturday. 

• Like 1

I also do not have the HUD and I think the big digital speed readout in the dash display is just fine. The one thing that Lexus should have fitted to this "halo" model is a front (or full surround) camera. The long nose is a pain to get lined up when parking.

You know what is the most often asked question about the LC? 

"What is it?"

Full surround and a better parking camera are really big misses imo. 

I think the rarity factor is a big reason for the change. Everyone has a Tesla these days 🙂

How is the LC on normal driveways, ours is pretty standard. The Tesla has a ground clearance of 5.5 inches and doesn’t have any issues.