Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice on how to remove steering wheel airbag?

Hey everyone,

Im still waiting on the new cruise control stalk arriving, but been thinking about fitting process.

On the 300h is it sufficient to disconnect the 12v Battery or is this not required?  I don't plan to disconnect the steering airbag just lift out to one side so that I can access the cruise controls module screws.  All advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated 👍

9 hours ago, Janek said:

Yes, but the airbag cannot be detached.

That's ok i don't need to detach it, just need to put it to the side so i can access the broken cruise control module in order to replace it.

I heard that the airbag can be detached, but the car cannot be turned on. This information is unconfirmed. Starting the car with the airbag disconnected results in errors. 

10 hours ago, Janek said:

I heard that the airbag can be detached, but the car cannot be turned on. This information is unconfirmed. Starting the car with the airbag disconnected results in errors. 

I would disconnect 12v Battery if I was going to do any work with airbags such as seat removal, but all I want to do is release the mechanism holding the airbag unit on steering wheel so I can lift it out to access the cruise control stalk screws.

Also note that in the versions before and after the lift, the cruise control is connected differently. Additionally, there are various shifters for the non radar and radar versions but I don't know what are the differences in operation.

HI Dess

i think it comes down to how comfortable you are changing the switch

with the Battery still connected , i have fitted cruise control on a auris hybrid

without disconnecting the Battery as i left the airbag cabling  connected,

leave connected or disconnect your the only one who can make that choice dess.

• Like 1