Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Wing Woes

Since I bought my RCF 6 months ago my active rear wing has had a problem where it would sometimes not activate/raise up. I first noticed this when washing my car, I would turn on the ignition and hit the spoiler button... nothing. Hit it again, maybe hold it down, then I would hear some clunking sounds coming from the rear. However then I would go for a drive later and it would work as normal again, raising up once I got over 50mph and responding to the button pushes etc. Recently this had been happening more and more frequently until I started noticing it refusing to raise up while driving as well.

Well, I've now had Lexus Guildford take a look at it and after a bit of testing and me trying to explain how to reproduce the problem over the phone, they have actually found a problem with the mechanical linkage/motor which apparently is falling to bits and needs replacing. Not too surprising given the clunking sounds and reluctant/slow operation I experienced.

As far as I know this will get sorted under warranty, so no issues there. Currently waiting on parts.

I have heard of people having problems with the rear wings getting stuck up in the US, but iirc that was only on the earlier cars and had a recall. This seems to be a different problem with the wing getting stuck down. Hopefully it's just a one-off.

14 minutes ago, Arnett said:

Should just go for one of these instead, https://motivejapan.com/rowen-lexus-rc-f-low-mount-rear-wing.html 

Would you fit that then it goes up and down along with the stock spoiler? Would look odd. 

Edit: Just read the advert stock spoiler cannot be used. Assuming you have to disconnect it. Wouldn't this give an error? 

2 hours ago, ben_harmer32 said:

Would you fit that then it goes up and down along with the stock spoiler? Would look odd. 

Edit: Just read the advert stock spoiler cannot be used. Assuming you have to disconnect it. Wouldn't this give an error? 

I saw one on Instagram the other day with both the stock spoiler up and a nice big ol' wing, looked so aggressive. Ive tried finding the same image no luck still as of yet 

5 hours ago, Arnett said:

Should just go for one of these instead, https://motivejapan.com/rowen-lexus-rc-f-low-mount-rear-wing.html 

It's pretty cool, but I like the car OEM for now. And I like having an active wing to play with. Maybe once it's working properly the novelty will wear off.

14 hours ago, Arnett said:

I saw one on Instagram the other day with both the stock spoiler up and a nice big ol' wing, looked so aggressive. Ive tried finding the same image no luck still as of yet 

this one?
https://www.modinjapan.com/voltex-type-2-1600mm-gt-wing-lexus-rc-f-2015.html

• 4 weeks later...

Update on this! Lexus Guildford had my car in today and have replaced the spoiler motor under warranty. I've got the car back now and it's working much better, now it actually responds quickly and raises up within a second or so. Engine on, or just ignition it doesn't matter. Might even go up a bit higher too.

So I'm very happy about that. However... now every time I open or close the boot I hear something roll inside the boot lid. It sounds like a loose screw honestly. Not sure how they missed that, I'm assuming it's something that's been dropped in there while the work was being carried out, rather than something that's come loose on the drive back. 😕

• Like 1

Yeah I have contacted the dealer and they seemed willing to help, but I won't hear back until Monday. Might have a go myself at the weekend (if I can tear myself away from Elden Ring).

2 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

That sounds like a job for a day you need to lose time for a bit! Good to 'disappear' fettling away, if you need an extra set of eyes/ ears, or enjoy making tea for others, i'll give you a hand 😄 😆

Got one of those bendy magnetic things and a trim clip removal tool by any chance?

25 minutes ago, Rob RCF said:

Elden Ring

Nerd 😉 haven't got round to it myself yet!

25 minutes ago, Rob RCF said:

bendy magnetic things

can jam my hands into the most ridiculous of places (not a euphemism) 😆

26 minutes ago, Rob RCF said:

trim clip removal tool

yessssssss, I am around Sunday afternoon if you lose hope 😛

I once had similar. Solved by attaching a WD40 red extension tube to a can of aerosol glue. A good squirt into a nearby hole, and hope the object gets stuck in it. It worked for me.

15 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Nerd 😉 haven't got round to it myself yet!

can jam my hands into the most ridiculous of places (not a euphemism) 😆

yessssssss, I am around Sunday afternoon if you lose hope 😛

I have got the liner off okay, the trim clips weren't too bad in the end, just needed some kind of pry tool which can get under them from both sides.

I have tried shaking and feeling around, but honestly I think I'm going to need some kind of magnet or retrieval tool since it seems to be nestled quite well between the inner and outer skin.

Oh and yeah I'm a big fan of Dark Souls so I've been a bit hyped for Elden Ring. Seems good so far, but I've only just started playing.

2 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

I have got the liner off okay, the trim clips weren't too bad in the end, just needed some kind of pry tool which can get under them from both sides.

I have tried shaking and feeling around, but honestly I think I'm going to need some kind of magnet or retrieval tool since it seems to be nestled quite well between the inner and outer skin.

Oh and yeah I'm a big fan of Dark Souls so I've been a bit hyped for Elden Ring. Seems good so far, but I've only just started playing.

I had a quick look in the garage yesterday, left my sodding trim kit at the unit it would seem and as much as I like being helpful, not feeling so helpful as to go and get them 😆

Never got into dark souls tbh, games I lost time to were Skyrim, Dying Light and Shadow of Mordor/ War. Skyrim nearly defeated my university degree 😆

11 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

I had a quick look in the garage yesterday, left my sodding trim kit at the unit it would seem and as much as I like being helpful, not feeling so helpful as to go and get them 😆

Never got into dark souls tbh, games I lost time to were Skyrim, Dying Light and Shadow of Mordor/ War. Skyrim nearly defeated my university degree 😆

Well it might not matter now anyway, since it seems to have stopped making noise. I'm going to leave it for a bit and I guess if I never notice it again then it's resolved itself somehow, or I dislodged it without realising. Thanks for looking though!

Ha yeah I've played a lot of Skyrim as well. Fun game, although I played the earlier ones as well (Morrowind and Oblivion) so by the time I got to Skyrim and Fallout it all started to feel a bit samey.

1 hour ago, Rob RCF said:

Well it might not matter now anyway, since it seems to have stopped making noise. I'm going to leave it for a bit and I guess if I never notice it again then it's resolved itself somehow, or I dislodged it without realising. Thanks for looking though!

Ha yeah I've played a lot of Skyrim as well. Fun game, although I played the earlier ones as well (Morrowind and Oblivion) so by the time I got to Skyrim and Fallout it all started to feel a bit samey.

Like you I've been a big Fallout and Oblivion fan, still like Skyrim and Fallout 4 too. Fallout 76 showed how to get it wrong. As well as a guitar collector I also collect watches and pens and bought the Brotherhood of Steel watch for not very much money at the time I was very surprised to see its value on e-bay these days

On 2/26/2022 at 3:15 PM, hockeyedwards said:

Love demon's souls and blood Bourne so need to grab elden ring for myself. 

But! Grabbed dying light 2 last night so need to destroy that first, would also just like to mention that the shadow of games are incredible 

• Like 1