Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wind Deflector for IS 250C

Perhaps slightly off topic here, but I have a 250C where the previous owner had a wind deflector but wasn't supplied when I bought the car. The 2 holes are in the back, and I do have the plugs to cover them up but can't work out how to change them over. Does anyone have any idea how to swap them before I break something?

Thanks for the info John. That's a hefty price for what - after all - is just a bit of mesh stretched between some metal poles! I have seen some after market ones much cheaper but these don't seem to fold in the middle so won't fit in the boot when not in use.

Hi Tim ,just been out and pulled the blanking plugs out on mine ; they are just a straight spigoted plastic plug and push back in again ,a small amount of force is needed but straightforward. I don't understand ' change them over '  they should be just 2 holes for the metal pole .Is there something else  in the hole ? 

With regard to the deflector  it is a crazy price for for what it is unless you can find one second hand .I have owned many convertibles and the Lexus IS very calm in the cabin ,I have not found the need for one ,even on Continental holidays cruising at 85 mph. One trick is to have 1 front window down and the opposite rear window down ,this reduces the backdraught of air coming forward over your shoulders 

Dave

Hi Tim,

There is a "fitting kit" (for an additional £60 or so) for the wind deflector which was probably fitted to your car but not removed when it was sold to you.

From memory Ithere is a metal tube inserted in the circular holes and secured with an allen bolt, probably 5mm. You will need to remove these to allow you to refit the blanking plugs. The allen bolts are located quite deeply in the tube so you will need a long allen key.

I managed to get my deflector used from the German eBay site.

Hope this is of some help.

Dec.

Well, I managed to get the bolts out and subsequently also managed to lose one of the metal tubes which slipped and fell down the back of the side panel. I hope to God that it doesn't rattle wherever it's ended up as don't fancy the cost of taking the car in for the garage to have to find it!

On a plus note, I've got the blanking plates on now so it looks nice. Although part of me wishes I'd left well alone 🤣

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear about your slight mishap.  You probably need to check the window operation to ensure that all is well.

Hopefully it won't rattle around.  You could try a magnet on a piece of string and go fishing!!

Dec.

• 2 months later...