Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Computers

Fargo

thanks colin..

so how would say the apexi afc compare to a hks f-con.. woudl it be fair to say that both unit remap cetain parametes and as such will release x amount of HP.

Or would the afc simply make better use of fuel/air depending on the amoutn of work the engine does..

Basically im looking into each of the units to fit on the 300 which is to have better induction and NOs.. now do i go with a simply air/fuel controller to make better use of the improves air intake, or the f-con which i think will be usefull whenused with the nos..

I think the standard F-CON is designed for turbo engines. The S-AFC compares with the HKS Super AFR. Both modify the airflow sensor input into the ECU to make fuel corrections.

Both would need to be set up on a rolling road. There is not much difference between the two. The Apexi one looks much better and displays more information however the HKS has finer adjustment (11 points/50 rpm steps compared to 8 points/500 rpm steps)

The HKS FCON is used on n/a and turbo engines.

The HKS S-AFR, Apexi S-AFC, Greddy E-Manage, Unichip (and other similar products) are limited in what they can do because they can only work within the parameters of the standard sensor signals, whereas products like the FCON have their own injector drivers and so can work independantly of the standard sensor signals. In plain English this means that FCON is much more versatile.

The FCON has many more load sites that can be mapped. The other products have a small number of load sites which means that the interpolation is much cruder. In plain English this means that the mapping is much smoother with an FCON.

The FCON allows mapping of the ignition parameters, which the SAFC and SAFR does not.

The downside to using the FCON (apart from the cost) is that there aren't many places authorised and able to fit and map them.

Hope this helps

thanks mark..

So if im using the nos, would it be best to have something that adjusts the ignition timing when the nos is squirting, to better utilize and run the engine/nos.

Or use an AFC to adjust the air fuel when nos is running.

not forgetting i will have an induction kit, so id liek to fully take advantage of the increased airflow.

thanks mark..

So if im using the nos, would it be best to have something that adjusts the ignition timing when the nos is squirting, to better utilize and run the engine/nos.

Or use an AFC to adjust the air fuel when nos is running.

not forgetting i will have an induction kit, so id liek to fully take advantage of the increased airflow.

We have never done this model before, so I can only offer you general guidance.

Generally, ignition adjustments are not required if you are using a small amount of gas. It may be necessary to activate a separate ignition map at full throttle when the system is armed, if you are using large gas nozzles.

This is probably "do-able" with an FCON (I'd need to confirm with a techie). The only issue I can forsee at the moment is transfering the map switching from inside the ecu to the throttle switch. Interesting idea. There may be other walys also.

ic.

im gona be using 75 shot nozzles via minmax..would this warrent a change in ignition mapping..

You see the bit where I wrote "we have never done this model before "? ;)

Well, that means " We have never done this model before" :lol:

Seriously though, unless you can find someone that has done it before, you are in the realms of R&D. Welcome to my world :ph34r:

I would have suggested trying someone in the US, but they run their cars on BS so any information is likely to flakey at best.

Why don't you have a word with Loz - his engine is similar? Otherwise get it booked in somewhere that knows what they are doing.

love the "running cars on BS" comment.. i tend to agree..

yes mark i read the part about you not doing this model before. twas seeking your opinion.

a word with loz.. hmm cant see that happening..

i know Mark,, Tdi always give advice....

Ive popped the question over on the 300.net, see what response i get..

I was thinking of seeing you for the install and setup anyways.. just sourcing the equipment in the US as the exchange rate is pretty damn good.

cant make my mind up which way to go you see, i like the look of the apexi afc also the price is about a third of the f-con, but if it is absolutly no good then the f-con would be my next bet,, but is it goning to be an over kil for what i need.

also i would have to think about what your gona charge me,, i could maybe justify a days work but not more..

a few things to consider..

That's a tough one Buddy :shifty:

R&D time is not quantifiable, but I would say that if you only have enough funds at the mo for 1 days labour, either forget it or wait until more funds are available. Alternatively you could always do the installation yourself and pay us to do the techie and set up bits.

The SAFC will not give you ignition control, and the fuel can only be mapped with OR without nitrous (not both), so I don't really see the point of using it in this application.

so its looking like the f-con is more sutiable for what i want..

remapped engine with ability to 'switch' to a better map for nos..

In your experiance would the f-con release some horses, how much approx.

i would be happy to install myself,, is it similar to the unichip where by i mean splicing into various wires..

would you supply wiring details..

so its looking like the f-con is more sutiable for what i want..

remapped engine with ability to 'switch' to a better map for nos..

In your experiance would the f-con release some horses, how much approx.

i would be happy to install myself,, is it similar to the unichip where by i mean splicing into various wires..

would you supply wiring details..

Sorry Mate I probably didn't make myself clear :duh: . I meant do the nitrous install yourself. We are contractually obliged not to allow self fitment of or release wiring details for the FCON.

There isn't a plug in wiring harness for the is300 although a GS300 may work. Alternatively a universal harness can be used to hard wire it in. We are in R&D territory here :ph34r:

Generally, Toyota/Lexus tend to map their cars too rich and too retarded for maximum performance, so good gains are normally seen by remapping.

ahh now your clear..

yes the nos install i will be doing myself..

So now that is oout of the way,, can you give an estimate of time to wire in the Fcon and set up on rolling road.. by the way hows the new RR coming..

ahh now your clear..

yes the nos install i will be doing myself..

So now that is oout of the way,, can you give an estimate of time to wire in the Fcon and set up on rolling road.. by the way hows the new RR coming..

The nature of R&D makes it unquantifiable, so I don't know how much it'll cost.

We do know a little about Lexus cars, and the FCON so we have a better chance than most of getting done quickly, but I can't make any promises.

I realise that's not what you want to hear, but I would rather you were fully aware of the situation before comitting.

We will have an announcement about the new dyno and other things to make soon.

So what about the Apexi SAFC II

has additional features:- of particular interest is the 2 memorized setttings.. so one for normal driving and one for nos action..

KNOCKING MONITOR:

The new Super AFC-II has a new knock sensor function which alerts the driver. This ensures that the engine is tuned to perfection at every stage. This function only works on vehicles that have an engine knock sensor.

MEMORIZES 2 TYPE OF SETTING DATA:

The new Super AFC-II can save two data settings from data collected with respected to air flow adjust rate, throttle duration, engine RPM, etc. The driver could use these two settings in a variety of driving conditions, be it track, street, or just plain cruising

OTHER:

Settings & data stored in the new Super AFC-II will not be lost even if the it is disconnected from the vehicle Battery power. RMP signal for air flow & pressure sensors can be adjusted in 12 points in 1% increments depending on fuel settings in +50% to -50%. Or the RSP can be set in increments of 200 RPM. Throttle opening duration: Adjustable by size.

wouldnt the self adjusting /learn feature of the Multiplex ecu not bee in conflict with any hardware you plug into the Toyota electronics.trying to and eventually reversing any adjustment/mapping done on a rolling road

as from reading a few of the US sites, this is the problems they are currently encountering, at the moment there starting to look towards the HKS FCON pro to solve there problems, but by appreance there are few companys in the US that are ofay with it at this moment in time, so thre still using controlers like the Haltec,Autronic and Motec, which are still all pretty much stand alone.

yeh , ive seen a few posts about this subject of the oem ecu relearning and reverting back to its own settings...

So in your opinion if i was going to use some kind of remapping tool then its either the f-con pro or a stand alone unit such as Haltec,Autronic and Motec,, is the f-con pro stand alone or piggy..