Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2016 Lexus RX450h F - Sport Engine Rattle Update

Saturday 29th January 2022

This is the Update of the Engine Rattle with Video after Lexus delivered my Car back yesterday after doing Software Update to reduce Fuel Pressure.

The Car is still making the same noise, although quieter.

There is a definite Pattern. 

1. If the Car is started from cold, when the Engine starts it is perfect with no Rattles/Vibration

2. If i drive the Car a few Miles, Park up and restart the Engine you get that 15 Secondish Engine rattle/Small Vibration everytime, probably until the Engine is completely cold again.

3. When started from warm and the Engine Rattle/Vibration is there, if i just let it Engine turn off and wait for Engine to restart itself, the second Start Up has been perfect the few times ive tried it with no Rattle or Vibration(As in Video)

It does seem as though it is only firing on 5 Cylinders as Spock66 said when the noise/Vibration is there for that 15 Second Cycle.

Ive still got just over Two Weeks where i can return the Car to Lexus Gatwick on the 30 Day Exchange but I'm thinking of keeping it as i can put up with it ( i think ????).

My Plan would then be to put it in to Lexus Guildford ( Who we usually deal with with previous Two Lexus Cars we've owned) to do the 80000 Full Service in September

At least then, my thinking is if they can find what the problem is, i can then go back to Lexus Gatwick with proof and they'll have to do the repair on the One Year Parts and Labour Warranty.

Any new thoughts or if this is a good route to go down ??

TIA

Rob

7 minutes ago, VFR said:

IMO just back the car as they have had the car but failed to cure the issue.

+1

I tend to agree.

For me it would be too much stress and hassle and ... not knowing.

The car SHOULD be near perfect and it appears to be less so.

One explanation could be a leaky injector, the fuel system is still pressurised when the engine stops.  Fuel leaks into the cylinder and is flooded so takes a few cycles for that cylinder to fire.  From a cold start the fuel has either evaporated or drained into the sump.  Just a theory from very limited data and I am not a trained mechanic.

Either way I would return it, I would assume this was a £30k+ car so I would not put up with this. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

One explanation could be a leaky injector, the fuel system is still pressurised when the engine stops.  Fuel leaks into the cylinder and is flooded so takes a few cycles for that cylinder to fire.  From a cold start the fuel has either evaporated or drained into the sump.  Just a theory from very limited data and I am not a trained mechanic.

Either way I would return it, I would assume this was a £30k+ car so I would not put up with this. 

Must admit your Theory sounds good Spock66.

We've decided to run it for the Week and contact them next Saturday week to see what happens next with the 30 Day Exchange.

I thought we could get a Refund, but speaking to the usual Lexus Dealer we deal with, you take the car back and they find you another one.

Only thing is, its got to be Grey with Black Interior and no more expensive so wondering what they would do in the meantime if they can't find one, continue driving this one or take it back and give us a Courtesy Car or leave us without a Car ??

4 hours ago, robpace said:

Only thing is, its got to be Grey with Black Interior and no more expensive so wondering what they would do in the meantime if they can't find one, continue driving this one or take it back and give us a Courtesy Car or leave us without a Car ??

I went through an exchange on my 1st RX. In my case I kept it for a week or two after the 30 days as they didn't have anything suitable as a replacement. I think the important thing was to get the request logged before the 30 days was up.

Might be more of a struggle to find an alternative now, due to the shortage of decent used cars?

• Like 1