Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

70k Service

Got my 7 year service done at Lexus Teeside yesterday together with discs and pads all round (ouch!)

The brakes were absolutely shot after 57k miles and although the pads were renewed before I bought it 5000 miles ago, they really should have done the lot.

If I braked from speed they made a terrible noise and pulsed when slowing down right to a standstill. Absolutely fine now, which they should be.

Got a UX 300e loan car which I was impressed with. Top spec and very comfortable, although i think range would be an issue for me, and the fact I havent got £50k lying around to buy one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bowserman said:

and the fact I havent got £50k lying around to buy one.

credit card maybe ..  a friendly loan from my Amigo !

come come, just mortgage yourself to the hilt, others do 

Malc

• Like 2

AGE UK might do you an equity release and then leave your kids the car instead of the house maybe ........... I'm sure they won't mind in the slightest :yahoo:

Malc

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Bowserman said:

Got my 7 year service done at Lexus Teeside yesterday together with discs and pads all round (ouch!)

The brakes were absolutely shot after 57k miles and although the pads were renewed before I bought it 5000 miles ago, they really should have done the lot.

If I braked from speed they made a terrible noise and pulsed when slowing down right to a standstill. Absolutely fine now, which they should be.

Got a UX 300e loan car which I was impressed with. Top spec and very comfortable, although i think range would be an issue for me, and the fact I havent got £50k lying around to buy one.

Seriously, shot after only 57K miles? I had my IS 300h front discs and pads changed at 80K miles (and they weren't gone but I had front wheel bearings done so made sense to do them at the same time but probably had another 10K - 20K+ miles left in them) . My rears are still original and have now done 112K miles and still plenty of life left in them. I always have my car serviced at Lexus and so I am sure they would suggest changing them as soon as it's needed. Very surprised that you needed the rears in particular doing. 

• Like 1

Rears should see very little wear under normal driving on a hybrid. You are most likely to get wear because of a sticking calliper or disc corrosion through underuse so you should check and lube the sliding pins regularly (every year after the vehicle is 3 years old).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Seriously, shot after only 57K miles? I had my IS 300h front discs and pads changed at 80K miles (and they weren't gone but I had front wheel bearings done so made sense to do them at the same time but probably had another 10K - 20K+ miles left in them) . My rears are still original and have now done 112K miles and still plenty of life left in them. I always have my car serviced at Lexus and so I am sure they would suggest changing them as soon as it's needed. Very surprised that you needed the rears in particular doing. 

It's not so much the milage that wears them it's more the steel pits with age. Area plays a big part, Scottish car will need discs sooner than a southern one. And the more milage on them the more the rust gets burnt off as to spreading. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 1:36 PM, Bowserman said:

Was it expensive to get the pads and discs done? 

When the car is over 5 years old (so qualifies for Lexus Essential Care) should be around £300 for discs and pads at front and a touch under £300 for discs and pads at rear (just pads is about half that but usually pads and discs are done together).

• Like 2

I have to say im impressed with the rear calipers... they have done away with the stupid single pin and spring mechanise that they had on the IS250 mk2.

The rear caliper is now like the front one but smaller.. i attempted brake change yesterday could not loosen the carrier bolts so couldnt get disc off... either its stuck from factory or the last person who did them over torqued them (probably impact gun).  So ive pinged my locally indy garage to get price for disc only and then i can resume with pad change, calipers need a bit of refreshing too.

• Like 1