Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 (new) Fuel Consumption

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a new RX and would like to know what folk actually get to the gallon.

The spec says; Urban 16.7 ; Extra Urban 30.1 ; Combined 23.2.

What do you actually experience?

1. cruising at 85mph

2. cruising at 70mph

3. around town

4. journey with m/way, A roads, town etc

5. average mpg overall

Any experience good or bad would be appreciated, you may swing my decision one way or the other. As I do 20K miles a year I don't want to spend half my life at a fuel pump and drive at 56mph everywhere.

Thanks

So far, approx.

1. cruising at 85mph - 26mpg

2. cruising at 70mph - almost 30mpg

3. around town - 19mpg

4. journey with m/way, A roads, town etc 24mpg

5. average mpg overall - 20mpg (yes our 4x4 is mostly in town :blush:

However....

If you are doing 20,000 per year I am assuming there must be a lot of A road and motorway so you would probably get, say, 25mpg so..

20,000 miles per year @25mpg = 800 gallons

don’t know what you are comparing against but say the average car with an average 30 mpg = 20,000@ 30mpg = 667 gallons

therefore 800 less 667 = 133 gallons or c.600 litres or c. £450 extra per year in fuel.

What I am trying to say is £30,000 to £38,000 for an ab fab car, supreme comfort for all of your 20,000 miles may only cost you and extra 1 - 2% of the cost of the car.

Go for it, it will be worth the small extra.

Or even reckon that if you negotiate a discount more or less in the figures above then it has paid for itself!

John

Hi,

I travel 60 miles a day in my RX 50 miles on motorway and I get a average of 21-22 miles per gallon.

That's sitting between 70 to 80 mph.

It is something to think about as the price of petrol will keep going up.

So will LPG the goverment put 9p on the duty of that at the last budget.

Maybe the hybrid is the answer.

Just heading upto 37k miles and I don't think I have had many tanks do over 23 mpg.

But as people have said already it is a great car.

Handy tip: Get something to lock the handle on the pump whilst you are filling up, saves an aching arm seeing as your going to be at the pump so much.

Night-Time

Handy tip: Get something to lock the handle on the pump whilst you are filling up, saves an aching arm seeing as your going to be at the pump so much.

Perfect solution - the petrol cap!

Shove the cap 'screw' under the handle and hey presto - hands free filling!

When the pump cuts off take out the cap and top up as required.

John

Rebrab

I would agree with JohnRX's post with regards the fuel consumption figures.

I have only had my RX for a month and have covered 1200 miles now from new. :)

Whilst I am still running the engine in, on a day trip to France I managed to get 30mpg whilst on the motorway cruising at around 68 - 75 mph. Around town the worst I've seen so far is about 21 mpg. Basically after filling the tank with regular unleaded I've managed to get just over 300 miles to the reserve light on a road trip, and seem to get about 280 to reserve light on the 'round town' cycle.

I have now switched to using super unleaded so I don't know what effect this will have, but the vehicle already feels a little more 'punchy' using the good stuff.

I don't tend to press the loud pedal down too far when pulling away, rather I let it build its own pace fairly slowly, so this will obviously help with the consumption, but I imagine if you were to floor it alot you could see even worse figures around town. Having said that, I have a friend with a Peugeot 3.0 litre V6 saloon and his fuel consumption seems to be very similar.

Its still a beautiful car and the V6 is super smooth and quite. I rekon from your type of driving you will probably average around 24 - 27 mpg depending on how much motorway you drive on per tank. The fuel consumption was my biggest concern when purchasing the car, but I only do about 6 - 8000 miles per year, so was prepared to sacrifice a litlle on the economy.

Just to put it into perspective, a couple of cars a go I had a TVR Chimera. Drove it quite hard sometimes, as you do a car like that. It had a 4.0 litre V8 and only returned about 18 mpg round town. My dad had a 5.3 litre V12 Jag once, and at best that only returned 19.0 mpg and on average returned 12 - 15 mpg!

In summary: for such a large vehicle and for quite a sizeable engine, the car seems to deliver what I feel is a reasonable economy - sure if you whelly it everywhere, it will return a poor economy, but if driven carefully and cruised on the motorway alot at 80 or below then it can give good fuel returns. I love it, and still enjoy driving it and I'm sure you will asywell

Regards

RxMike :D

• 4 weeks later...

RX300 se registered in Nov 2001 now has 26,000 on the clock

Miles per gallon arond the houses approx 21

Miles per gallon motorway approx 28 at 60-70 mph

above this speed watching out for speed traps not mpg. ha ha only joking as I tend to try to stay within motorway speed limits.

Realspeed

Just to put it into perspective, a couple of cars a go I had a TVR Chimera. Drove it quite hard sometimes, as you do a car like that. It had a 4.0 litre V8 and only returned about 18 mpg round town. My dad had a 5.3 litre V12 Jag once, and at best that only returned 19.0 mpg and on average returned 12 - 15 mpg!

Spooky. My mate has just bought a TVR Chimaera and is indeed getting that kind of figure, whilst my Jag 5.3 V12 returned more like 10-12. I don't think that model is capable of returning more than 16.