Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance declined for replacing parking and reversing bulbs with LEDs

Well I thought I would take the opportunity to add a cautionary note on modifications.  I am just paying my annual premium and paste a relevant clause which shows not only what must be notified but how insurers may consider anything else they may decide is appliable:-

"Has the vehicle been changed in any way from the vehicle manufacturer's standard specification? This would include: Changes t o the bodywork such as spoilers or body kits, changes to suspension or brakes, cosmetic changes such as alloy wheels or paint, changes affecting performance such as changes to the engine management system or exhaust system and changes to the audio/entertainment system. Please note that this is not a full list of possible changes. All changes made from the manufacturer's standard specification must be disclosed."

!!!!!!!

I wouldn't touch any insurance company that has those totally stupid 'get out of clauses ' to increase the premium. 

So a new ruling in the MOT test in 2021 to fail a car which has LED replacing normal bulb in headlights. Funny. I've had LED side lights in my car and it's passed each of the 3 MOT'S my car has had and the last one was in 2021.

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

I wouldn't touch any insurance company that has those totally stupid 'get out of clauses ' to increase the premium. 

So a new ruling in the MOT test in 2021 to fail a car which has LED replacing normal bulb in headlights. Funny. I've had LED side lights in my car and it's passed each of the 3 MOT'S my car has had and the last one was in 2021.

But they all have the catch-all clause... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

I believe that is only with respect to the headlamp bulbs themselves, not any other (e.g. positional, indicating) bulbs also housed within the headlamp unit