Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cyclists, new Highway Code rules

mdj8

7 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

At the end of the day and as already stated. We ALL have a duty of care when we're out on the road. No one is above the other. Some are much more vulnerable than others. We have to look out for each other just like a decent percentage of road users do. Simple. 

An outbreak of good sense. The 'new' Highway Code essentially says: 'Be a decent human being when using the road'. Seriously, it's worth trying.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, mdj8 said:

Really, you don't understand do you. Linas and others have explained, very carefully and with examples that the new wording entitles cyclists and pedestrians. When you do that you create problems, problems that did not exist before. This change entitles cyclists or pedestrians to be right whilst inconveniencing drivers and putting the cyclists and pedestrians at risk of being hurt. Linas even provided a video. I don't care for cyclecraft, it's clearly been influenced by lycra wearers and did not accord with the highway code pre last weekend. You keep arguing semantics, adding items that are not in contention and just being obtuse. Whilst doing this may be entertaining for you it's just a reminder to everyone else of the reasons behind the sad state this country has found itself in. As both Linus and Phil say why not look at ways to make things better or more efficient rather than seeking resentment and friction.

You don't think the friction is helped by your derogatory words in your Initial post and also above? 

Now do I listen to an accredited cycling organisation or some youtube video Linas found on the Internet from a guy no one's heard of.  

If telling you the facts is being obtuse then so be it. There are also no semantics in my posts only those facts backed up with a whole load of personal knowledge and experience. You waxed lyrical about taking the cycling proficiency test yet now refuse to acknowledge the same.

The advice is clear and only relates to certain situations. So why you have this in your mind that cyclists will be willy nilly clogging up the centre of lanes on roads is about as misinformed as your ill advised poll.

1 hour ago, mdj8 said:

Really, you don't understand do you. Linas and others have explained, very carefully and with examples that the new wording entitles cyclists and pedestrians. When you do that you create problems, problems that did not exist before. This change entitles cyclists or pedestrians to be right whilst inconveniencing drivers and putting the cyclists and pedestrians at risk of being hurt. Linas even provided a video. I don't care for cyclecraft, it's clearly been influenced by lycra wearers and did not accord with the highway code pre last weekend. You keep arguing semantics, adding items that are not in contention and just being obtuse. Whilst doing this may be entertaining for you it's just a reminder to everyone else of the reasons behind the sad state this country has found itself in. As both Linus and Phil say why not look at ways to make things better or more efficient rather than seeking resentment and friction.

I inevitably defer to greater minds than mine, in this case Thomas Sowell,

"One of the consequences of such notions as ‘entitlements’ is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
― Thomas Sowell

• Like 2

Mmmmmm I wonder if that bit from Mr Sowell includes drop outs, winos, druggies and the like. I've lived in areas where they congregate. They do nothing for society positively but expect lots of freebies. This sounds like entitlements, to me anyway. 

Excellent saying tho from Mr Sowell 👏 👌 👍 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Mmmmmm I wonder if that bit from Mr Sowell includes drop outs, winos, druggies and the like. I've lived in areas where they congregate. They do nothing for society positively but expect lots of freebies. This sounds like entitlements, to me anyway. 

Excellent saying tho from Mr Sowell 👏 👌 👍 

Precisely so Vlad, and I urge you to read /YouTube the man if you admire towering intellects and laser-like insights 😎

I must admit I'm struggling to see a link between Mr Sowells quote and vulnerable road users ( which we all are as pedestrians for example).  Perhaps I'm having a sense of humour failure:wink3:

When did this massive sense of entitlement become entrenched into one specific section of society (motorists) and why are some so embittered and reluctant to hand a small part back ?  

Just now, Moleman said:

May I suggest a sense of perception failure. 😉

You may suggest it but like everything on this thread I'll continue to refute it :biggrin:

59 signatures now and only 2 from Wales, clearly they're an empathetic lot in the valleys.  

4 minutes ago, doog442 said:

You may suggest it but like everything on this thread I'll continue to refute it :biggrin:

59 signatures now and only 2 from Wales, clearly they're an empathetic lot in the valleys.  

King Canute. 😉

28 minutes ago, doog442 said:

I must admit I'm struggling to see a link between Mr Sowells quote and vulnerable road users ( which we all are as pedestrians for example).  Perhaps I'm having a sense of humour failure:wink3:

When did this massive sense of entitlement become entrenched into one specific section of society (motorists) and why are some so embittered and reluctant to hand a small part back ?  

I have to admit Doog I, for one, am intrigued by your constant use of emotive adjectives to embellish your position🤔. As in "massive just now. An erudite fellow, such as you, should clearly see Dr Sowel's comment was to highlight a societal malaise and not limited to motorists or cyclists for that matter. Although it sometimes appears the latter feel a peacocks need to preen more than most 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

I have to admit Doog I, for one, am intrigued by your constant use of emotive adjectives to embellish your position🤔. As in "massive just now. An erudite fellow, such as you, should clearly see Dr Sowel's comment was to highlight a societal malaise and not limited to motorists or cyclists for that matter. Although it sometimes appears the latter feel a peacocks need to preen more than most 

Perhaps I'm quite emotional about the issue - how about that :wink3:. If you didn't highlight the word entitles in the anti cyling post you were quoting I may well have drawn a  different conclusion on Sowell.

Peacocks tend to preen to attract attention which seems quite apt to the subject in question no ?

7 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Perhaps I'm quite emotional about the issue - how about that :wink3:.

I think we all understand that, and that is not a bad thing, it shows this important to you. However, sometimes it is easy to be blinded and fail to see all of the argument. 🙂

21 minutes ago, Moleman said:

I think we all understand that, and that is not a bad thing, it shows this important to you. However, sometimes it is easy to be blinded and fail to see all of the argument. 🙂

I'm pretty sure I already stated on another thread the issues I saw with pedestrian guidance. I have absolutely no issue with the new cycling guidance in the Highway code. 

With all due respect unless you can make a judgement as a cyclist and motorist then you're hardly in a position to accuse me of being blinded.   

32 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Perhaps I'm quite emotional about the issue - how about that :wink3:. If you didn't highlight the word entitles in the anti cyling post you were quoting I may well have drawn a  different conclusion on Sowell.

Peacocks tend to preen to attract attention which seems quite apt to the subject in question no ?

Actually Doogs I picked up the word "entitled" from an earlier post from First Lexus to which your accreditation said "Great Post" 🤔. So yes, I have confirmed your earlier affirmation. And I hardly think when I specifically state a societal malaise you can deduce it to be aimed at one group? But I will give way on cyclists and peacocks. Even you must concur that pantomime like costumes deserve ribald comments various 😎

1 minute ago, doog442 said:

I'm pretty sure I already stated on another thread the issues I saw with pedestrian guidance. I have absolutely no issue with the new cycling guidance in the Highway code. 

With all due respect unless you can make a judgement as a cyclist and motorist then you're hardly in a position to accuse me of being blinded.   

I cycle and take long country walks as well as drive, unlike you I can see both sides. Sometimes there is no point continuing. Best wishes.

7 minutes ago, Moleman said:

I cycle and take long country walks as well as drive, unlike you I can see both sides. Sometimes there is no point continuing. Best wishes.

Well the hedges round me are about 6 feet tall Maurice, how do you manage to see both sides 😂

30 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Please continue your cycling and country walks. (emoji thing)

• Sad 1

I watch Hubnut on YouTube, finding him both entertaining and eccentric.

He has recorded a short video about the changes. Members may find it useful and interesting or of course they may not…but I’ll leave it here for anybody who wants to watch.

5 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

I watch Hubnut on YouTube, finding him both entertaining and eccentric.

He has recorded a short video about the changes. Members may find it useful and interesting or of course they may not…but I’ll leave it here for anybody who wants to watch.

Thanks Ed. He basically recounts the rule changes and says if everyone interprets them in the same way and is reasonable towards each other there shouldn't be a problem. I agree there shouldn't but that's not real life. We have a country road near us that has the national speed limit which most people using the road drive at. The road is about 7 miles long and has two parts where you can see for perhaps a quarter mile. The rest consists of curves and bends. If a single cyclist is using the road and keeping to the left he or she can be passed at reduced speed at any point safely for those 7 miles with the exception of two bends. At weekends however cyclists take the road over. Gangs block whole lanes and others, always lycra clad cycle two abreast preventing anyone from overtaking anywhere except the two straight bits. They do this on purpose, there is no need for it and they hold people up for miles. If they were told they must cycle on the left except where it is dangerous or turning right, the problem would be solved. Anyway lets see what Hub Nut thinks after he's experienced the new rules in the real world.

• Like 2

yesterday out and about noticed the cyclists seemed to have an unusually sense of " fear " and ultra awareness down our country lanes in this part of Kent 

Just thinking they might be expecting some sort of backlash from motorists totally peeved with these new rules and " giving no quarter " "taking every inch"  allowed and worrying they're in for a much more challenging time from the guys in those big metal objects that can so easily flatten a two wheeled irritant :whistling:

Highway Code or no, the cyclists might have not done themselves too much of a good service by messing around with the " rules " of the road

Malc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc said:

yesterday out and about noticed the cyclists seemed to have an unusually sense of " fear " and ultra awareness down our country lanes in this part of Kent 

Just thinking they might be expecting some sort of backlash from motorists totally peeved with these new rules and " giving no quarter " "taking every inch"  allowed and worrying they're in for a much more challenging time from the guys in those big metal objects that can so easily flatten a two wheeled irritant :whistling:

Highway Code or no, the cyclists might have not done themselves too much of a good service by messing around with the " rules " of the road

Malc

Interesting Malc 👍

On 2/2/2022 at 4:48 PM, MartinH said:

An outbreak of good sense. The 'new' Highway Code essentially says: 'Be a decent human being when using the road'. Seriously, it's worth trying.

Only on the road Martin? Worth trying to be so all the time 😎

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links