Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone selling isf?

9 hours ago, Rich1988 said:

I've already spoke to the owner about that car, had 2 accidents but isn't category, none of the common issues have been resolved which will need doing at some point, water pump, radiator etc, 1 key, not so sure if I'd say bargain, 14-15k would get you a 70-80k 08 a year ago🤦

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Donolly19 said:

I've already spoke to the owner about that car, had 2 accidents but isn't category, none of the common issues have been resolved which will need doing at some point, water pump, radiator etc, 1 key, not so sure if I'd say bargain, 14-15k would get you a 70-80k 08 a year ago🤦

It looks fairly tidy. 146k is nothing for a V8. I find a lot of big engine cars have more owners just because people get one and realise they don't wanna pay the fuel bill etc. The "common" issues haven't been addressed because there may not be any issues yet.. use that as a leverage for the price, but then again saying "you need to go lower on this car because XYZ will go wrong" is ambitious. Water pump etc will go on every car at some point, you don't see it being reflected on price when it's not an issue at the time. If you got it for £12k you're laughing. I can see from the photos there's a small bumper gap on the right side with the boot open. Just got view it, haggling over something you ain't seen in person is silly.

38 minutes ago, Grey One said:

Also worth saying the the water pump and radiator and not essentials to have pre-emptively done.  Service history would be useful though on a car of this mileage - does it have any?

Not sure, they said it was stamped but wasn't with the book too send me any info 

I’m a paint sprayer by trade so I’ve seen a lot of nearly new cars with some quite substantial damage being repaired without any category attached. If repairs have been done well it wouldn’t bother me and at least he’s been honest about it. As for the water pump and other parts how much would this cost? If I could get it for £13k I’d have around £3k left from my budget to spend making it 100%. I’d be straight to Lexus for a 2nd key.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rich1988 said:

I’m a paint sprayer by trade so I’ve seen a lot of nearly new cars with some quite substantial damage being repaired without any category attached. If repairs have been done well it wouldn’t bother me and at least he’s been honest about it. As for the water pump and other parts how much would this cost? If I could get it for £13k I’d have around £3k left from my budget to spend making it 100%. I’d be straight to Lexus for a 2nd key.

Yeah he seemed very honest and I believe he's owned it for the last 8 years aswell, so it's obviously been a fairly decent vehicle to him

10 hours ago, Rich1988 said:

not sur on the water pump as mine was already done, but iirc the parts to do the Rad was about 300 quid

I would hang fire.
that said i am cautious. Wt if the transmission goes when radiator leaks. Not much protection from a private sale.

+ I refuse to accept the current rise in used car prices 😂 

• Like 1

If not this one how long will I have to wait for another to come along in my budget? 
I’ve always loved the isf, I had an is250 which was great. Originally I was planning on getting a GS250 FSport but I’m being lured into a V8. 

Cant answer that one in terms of how long.

i just think its better to wait and get a decent one than dealing with the headache if its a lemon.

Although the market is pricing the isf in the current manner, whether they will actually sell, i am not so sure. I am sure though there will be owners who actually want to offload their car quickly will makes sense of the situation and price them more appropriately.

barry

• Like 1

Having owned an ISF, I know how good these cars are.

But I feel that present offerings are overpriced, and with the current problems, they are going to be hard to sell.

Inflation, the possibility of fuel reaching £2 per gallon, and VED at roughly £50 per month may make people gulp at the prospect.

Most will not qualify for extended warranty either.

If not going to be driven daily, and you don't need 4 seats, my money would be going towards an Aston Martin Vantage.....

On 2/25/2022 at 2:23 PM, Cactus said:

I would hang fire.
that said i am cautious. Wt if the transmission goes when radiator leaks. Not much protection from a private sale.

+ I refuse to accept the current rise in used car prices 😂 

As with all automatic cars it should be practically impossible to lose the transmission due to the radiator leaking, by sheer virtue of the fact that before the transmission gets anywhere near hot enough to fail one of two things will happen.  Either the loss of radiator coolant will cause a rise in engine temps which the driver will notice and pull the car over, or the loss of radiator coolant will cause a rise in engine temps which the driver will not notice and the engine will blow a gasket causing the driver to pull the car over.  Either way the car is stopped before transmission damage.

When people talk about losing the transmission due to the radiator on an automatic car what they actually mean is that one of the hoses that connects the transmission to the transmission cooler inside the radiator has broken/come off or that the hose fitting on the radiator for the transmission cooler has broken/come off, resulting in the transmission pumping out it's coolant.  Neither of these should really be a risk as long as hoses/clips/fittings are checked properly during service and tightened/replaced as required.

As far as current car prices go, they have risen across the board in the UK but it remains to be seen if this is a temporary increase or simply a long overdue correction as UK used car prices have historically been quite low.  ISF prices have also increased independently of the market but this is almost guaranteed to be a correction rather than temporary (probably being fuelled by a rise in the cars popularity and more people knowing they exist) as they now appear to be worth as much as an equal age/mileage VXR8 or Mustang, which is good as ISFs being worth less than two more well known but arguably inferior vehicles always bugged me 😛

35 minutes ago, ubersonic said:

As with all automatic cars it should be practically impossible to lose the transmission due to the radiator leaking, by sheer virtue of the fact that before the transmission gets anywhere near hot enough to fail one of two things will happen.  Either the loss of radiator coolant will cause a rise in engine temps which the driver will notice and pull the car over, or the loss of radiator coolant will cause a rise in engine temps which the driver will not notice and the engine will blow a gasket causing the driver to pull the car over.  Either way the car is stopped before transmission damage.

When people talk about losing the transmission due to the radiator on an automatic car what they actually mean is that one of the hoses that connects the transmission to the transmission cooler inside the radiator has broken/come off or that the hose fitting on the radiator for the transmission cooler has broken/come off, resulting in the transmission pumping out it's coolant.  Neither of these should really be a risk as long as hoses/clips/fittings are checked properly during service and tightened/replaced as required.

As far as current car prices go, they have risen across the board in the UK but it remains to be seen if this is a temporary increase or simply a long overdue correction as UK used car prices have historically been quite low.  ISF prices have also increased independently of the market but this is almost guaranteed to be a correction rather than temporary (probably being fuelled by a rise in the cars popularity and more people knowing they exist) as they now appear to be worth as much as an equal age/mileage VXR8 or Mustang, which is good as ISFs being worth less than two more well known but arguably inferior vehicles always bugged me 😛

Unfortunately it’s a “Toyota” thing, they share part of the system that has both gearbox oil and coolant running side by side…….well actually up n under, the problem is corrosion “can” take place within the unit, the water will then contaminate the gearbox oil, the idea behind it is actually very good, the water coolant helps to get the gearbox oil up to temperature quicker so actually aids the life of the box BUT unfortunately corrosion will take place eventually BUT there is no millage recommendation to change it, all Toyota autos have the same design so it’s not just the ISF that will eventually suffer from it.

1 minute ago, Cactus said:

@ubersonic

i only mention the transmission as i thought it happened to one of the owner on the forum last year.

Barry

I think you’re correct, think repair bill was £8k for new box and north of £3500 to rebuild existing box…… think I paid about £500 for mine parts and labour as a preventative measure after reading on here that someone’s had failed

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

Unfortunately it’s a “Toyota” thing, they share part of the system that has both gearbox oil and coolant running side by side…….well actually up n under, the problem is corrosion “can” take place within the unit, the water will then contaminate the gearbox oil, the idea behind it is actually very good, the water coolant helps to get the gearbox oil up to temperature quicker so actually aids the life of the box BUT unfortunately corrosion will take place eventually BUT there is no millage recommendation to change it, all Toyota autos have the same design so it’s not just the ISF that will eventually suffer from it.

exactly this, my radiator went had it towed to my local Lexus dealer here theyw presented me with a hefty quote only to be told that even if they replace the solenoids within the gearbox it could still be toast, so instead tracked down a new box

• Like 3

I was eying up several ISF's over the first lock down and distinctly remember a black late spec one (central rev counter) with just over 100k being offerred for £17k it took several months to sell, pre-facelifts were around the 13k mark even less - prices are strong however the next month or so will dictate are buyers paying for the cars or not as cars at the bottom end of the market have shifted. E92/E90 M3 aren't selling either alot of stock dealers are holding atm. Personally I think the prices will come down a little but not low as pre-lockdown levels. as others have said the road tax and fuel pay a huge part esp if were heading to the not so magical £2 a litre.

I recently bought a ISF and its not had the Radiator done, I shall be getting it done as a preventive measure, during the mot I did ask and had a look myself and the pipes looks like they had oxidation but not corroded away - either way its getting done! I do have a receipt for the waterpump which is great.

Also going to get the arms, sills and underside wire wheeled and clear coated to prevent rust, luckily its quite clean but having owed Japanese cars most of mylife they are known to be rot bags! 

2 hours ago, BTCC_ Racer said:

I was eying up several ISF's over the first lock down and distinctly remember a black late spec one (central rev counter) with just over 100k being offerred for £17k it took several months to sell, pre-facelifts were around the 13k mark even less - prices are strong however the next month or so will dictate are buyers paying for the cars or not as cars at the bottom end of the market have shifted. E92/E90 M3 aren't selling either alot of stock dealers are holding atm. Personally I think the prices will come down a little but not low as pre-lockdown levels. as others have said the road tax and fuel pay a huge part esp if were heading to the not so magical £2 a litre.

I recently bought a ISF and its not had the Radiator done, I shall be getting it done as a preventive measure, during the mot I did ask and had a look myself and the pipes looks like they had oxidation but not corroded away - either way its getting done! I do have a receipt for the waterpump which is great.

Also going to get the arms, sills and underside wire wheeled and clear coated to prevent rust, luckily its quite clean but having owed Japanese cars most of mylife they are known to be rot bags! 

You cant visually inspect as the corrosion happens internally to the radiator, there's a theory about what's been used to top up the radiator being the culprit. Just dont want you thinking you are safe and then facing a large bill.

Lexus Bolton did mine for approx £600 all in

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, C.B said:

You cant visually inspect as the corrosion happens internally to the radiator, there's a theory about what's been used to top up the radiator being the culprit. Just dont want you thinking you are safe and then facing a large bill.

The cars got full lexus history and had extended warranty till about a year a so ago. Its got orange/ pink coolant in it. So does it rust inside out? I was think the pipes rusted from the outside or is the lack of coolant change or type a contributing factor?

Eitherway it's getting changed.

51 minutes ago, BTCC_ Racer said:

The cars got full lexus history and had extended warranty till about a year a so ago. Its got orange/ pink coolant in it. So does it rust inside out? I was think the pipes rusted from the outside or is the lack of coolant change or type a contributing factor?

Eitherway it's getting changed.

It's internally where the transmission oil pipes meet the radiator. It cannot be seen (even by Lexus) so best practice is to treat it as a maintainence job and replace when you feel appropriate. If there's no evidence of it being done, get it done. I changed mine last year. It's a really easy job to do yourself. I went on the 10 year 100k rule with both the Lexus vehicles I've changed it on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C.B said:

Did this include a coolant flush? It would be the nearest Lexus dealership.

7 minutes ago, RichGS11 said:

It's internally where the transmission oil pipes meet the radiator. It cannot be seen (even by Lexus) so best practice is to treat it as a maintainence job and replace when you feel appropriate. If there's no evidence of it being done, get it done. I changed mine last year. It's a really easy job to do yourself. I went on the 10 year 100k rule with both the Lexus vehicles I've changed it on.

Good point - thank you for advising me about it going inside out. Best to be safe than sorry, im also going to get lexus to carry out the transmission flush with the filter. The diff oil has been changed under two years ago.