Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts


On 2/1/2022 at 9:35 PM, PDM said:

Time to buy a V6 powered RX now before it's too late!

How is yours? I am tempted to buy RX instead of the new NX.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, mitadoc said:

How is yours? I am tempted to buy RX instead of the new NX.

It's great.  High quality materials, great engine, smooth ride, moves when you want it to.... still has physical buttons in the cabin but has android auto/ACP built in....  more space than the NX of course.  I had a couple of rattles when I picked it up but the dealer has fixed those.  There are also software bugs in MM19 (some have been fixed) and you will find my comments on that elsewhere on these forums.  No guarantees they are fixed on M21, and of course there is the possibility fore new ones too!

Paul

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PDM said:

It's great.  High quality materials, great engine, smooth ride, moves when you want it to.... still has physical buttons in the cabin but has android auto/ACP built in....  more space than the NX of course.  I had a couple of rattles when I picked it up but the dealer has fixed those.  There are also software bugs in MM19 (some have been fixed) and you will find my comments on that elsewhere on these forums.  No guarantees they are fixed on M21, and of course there is the possibility fore new ones too!

Paul

Paul; I thought at some point you were considering the EV6; what prompted the change of mind 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PDM said:

There are also software bugs in MM19 (some have been fixed) and you will find my comments on that elsewhere on these forums.  No guarantees they are fixed on M21, and of course there is the possibility fore new ones too!

Mine is MM20 - one of the last before the changes to the trim line up - arrived in UK and delivered to me in November 2021. No software 🐜 🐛 bugs…so far. No rattles either - you must have been really unlucky!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Mine is MM20 - one of the last before the changes to the trim line up - arrived in UK and delivered to me in November 2021. No software 🐜 🐛 bugs…so far. No rattles either - you must have been really unlucky!

I thought Lexus are well made and no interior noises?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mitadoc said:

I thought Lexus are well made and no interior noises?

Depends on your definition of noises and how sensitive you are. All my 8 Lexus vehicles and every demo, loan and private Lexus vehicle I've driven or been a passenger in has interior noises when the vehicle flex/crash over potholes etc. although not really many continuous rattles. The premium German manufactures tend to have better perceived quantity through interiors that feel more solid - the vehicles themselves are far less reliable though.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


11 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

The premium German manufactures tend to have better perceived quantity through interiors that feel more solid - the vehicles themselves are far less reliable though.

Even that hasn’t been the case across the piece over the last decade. Audi still make a beautiful interior, but both BMW and VW have been cost cutting a lot, and it shows. Mercedes learned their lesson in the 90s and early 2000s and, as with Audi, their interiors are lovely and high quality again now imho.

Even so, the RX stands up very well against all of them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Even that hasn’t been the case across the piece over the last decade. Audi still make a beautiful interior, but both BMW and VW have been cost cutting a lot, and it shows. Mercedes learned their lesson in the 90s and early 2000s and, as with Audi, their interiors are lovely and high quality again now imho.

Even so, the RX stands up very well against all of them. 

I am with MB for the last 6 years and 101 K ( B class) and I must say - there are premium and not so premium bits 🙂

Service costs are premium for sure ,lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Even that hasn’t been the case across the piece over the last decade. Audi still make a beautiful interior, but both BMW and VW have been cost cutting a lot, and it shows. Mercedes learned their lesson in the 90s and early 2000s and, as with Audi, their interiors are lovely and high quality again now imho.

Even so, the RX stands up very well against all of them. 

The newer Audi's are cutting corners the most I think. We've just ordered a VW Golf and the A3 had thinner carpet mats as well as the actual carpet inside. Obviously the badge and interior design will be enough to sway most people but there doesnt appear to be much difference between the A3 and Golf quality wise any longer. 

Merc are OK at best. We had a lot of rattles sorted out in the C class centre console and air vents. Some still remain but I cant find where they are coming from. Its also had creaking seals replaced. I do think BMW dont tend to have many rattles but they have issues of their own

Having said that, all our Lexus have been fine apart from my 3rd generation RX. It had a rattle around the rear seat coming from going over bumps. My current RX has no rattles yet at 45k miles and the UX is fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, rayaans said:

The newer Audi's are cutting corners the most I think. We've just ordered a VW Golf and the A3 had thinner carpet mats as well as the actual carpet inside. Obviously the badge and interior design will be enough to sway most people but there doesnt appear to be much difference between the A3 and Golf quality wise any longer. 

That’s bizarre! On a similar note, I did see a review on YouTube noting that the new Skodas now have some of the best interiors in the VAG stable…which for a ‘value’ brand seems crackers. The new VW id3 has a truly awful, bargain basement, interior imho.

I see a few BMW 3-Series through work, and the interiors really are pretty cheap and wear quite fast…with rattles aplenty. Haven’t seen the same with company owned Audi or Mercedes yet but I do know the owners of those vehicles are mightily impressed when they see Lexus quality…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, First_Lexus said:

That’s bizarre! On a similar note, I did see a review on YouTube noting that the new Skodas now have some of the best interiors in the VAG stable…which for a ‘value’ brand seems crackers. 

It would appear if you currently want the best from the VAG stable, buy a Skoda. They are still building a reputation (doing very well at it), the others are still living off a previous reputation, but clearly cutting costs. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember a relative had a VW Golf diesel Mark 2. That thing was so solid it was unreal, especially compared to the competition. They stayed with VW for a few years afterwards, mainly I think because of the perception of quality that one car had built. However, as quality and reliability declined they eventually left the VAG stable in the late 2000s. They bought a Hyundai, and they’ve had them ever since apart from a brief dalliance with a Skoda Octavia that had all sorts of DSG gearbox problems.

They bought their first KIA last year, a Nero EV. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

That’s bizarre! On a similar note, I did see a review on YouTube noting that the new Skodas now have some of the best interiors in the VAG stable…which for a ‘value’ brand seems crackers. The new VW id3 has a truly awful, bargain basement, interior imho.

I see a few BMW 3-Series through work, and the interiors really are pretty cheap and wear quite fast…with rattles aplenty. Haven’t seen the same with company owned Audi or Mercedes yet but I do know the owners of those vehicles are mightily impressed when they see Lexus quality…

I was impressed with the new 3 series and 5 series. They had well built interiors but obviously not lived with them long enough 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fatts said:

Paul; I thought at some point you were considering the EV6; what prompted the change of mind 

Banji,

Wasn't me!  I do remember reading someone on here looked at one though...

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Mine is MM20 - one of the last before the changes to the trim line up - arrived in UK and delivered to me in November 2021. No software 🐜 🐛 bugs…so far. No rattles either - you must have been really unlucky!

Hi Ed,

As far as I am aware, the MMXX refers to the generation of multimedia system hardware and software.  The current gen 4 facelift RX comes with what is referred to as MM19 (which is really an updated MM17 with android auto/apple car play added on and a few other modifications.  On the new RX is also  has a touch screen).  So if you have a 2021 RX (as mine) then the multimedia system is what Lexus refer to as MM19.  The next update is what is coming in the new NX, which is being called MM21.  you may well find that the software version you have is dated sometime in 2020, but this will be a patch to an underlying MM19 system.

I was disappointed by the rattles.  One where the drivers side A-pillar meets the speaker, one where the trim sits around the infotainment screen, and one in the driver door card.  My previous Lexus cars had been rattle free so I believe I was simply unlucky.  But, a sign of quality is how people fix mistakes, and the dealer (not that it was their mistake!) worked methodically and the car is rattle free now.

I would suspect you may have some software bugs but perhaps do not use the function so haven't noticed them.  If you update music on an mp3 stick, I find voice commands of the form "play album X" do not work properly because the system fails to index the memory stick into the voice command system.  Radly.fm internet radio does not work on the "My Lexus" website ether.  Also, albums are played in alphabetical order by the infotainment rather than by track number.  If you do an over the air map update, speed camera alerts fail.   I'll spare you the other bugs in my list!  None of these are insurmountable but I never had such bugs in my previous "Lexi" and, as I say, you simply may not use these functions so have not noticed the bugs.  The advent of android auto and apple car play means may people use their phones to play music rather than a memory stick these days, for example.

However, if you have tried these things and you do not have bugs in them, please let me know as I certainly want to know what software versions you are running.

Sorry for the long reply.

Cheers,

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Depends on your definition of noises and how sensitive you are. All my 8 Lexus vehicles and every demo, loan and private Lexus vehicle I've driven or been a passenger in has interior noises when the vehicle flex/crash over potholes etc. although not really many continuous rattles. The premium German manufactures tend to have better perceived quantity through interiors that feel more solid - the vehicles themselves are far less reliable though.

I had three sources of continuous rattle - which the dealer has now fixed.  Based on my own previous experience with the brand I was unlucky.  The dealer has fixed them all and the vehicle is now extremely quiet indeed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Dimi,

I just realised - I didn't want to come across as overly negative here.  I really think I was unlucky with the rattles on my car - don't let that put you off.  I have a work around for all my software bugs that is adequate for me and I now thoroughly enjoy driving the car.

I can't remember - did you do a test drive yet?

Paul

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, PDM said:

 

Dimi,

I just realised - I didn't want to come across as overly negative here.  I really think I was unlucky with the rattles on my car - don't let that put you off.  I have a work around for all my software bugs that is adequate for me and I now thoroughly enjoy driving the car.

I can't remember - did you do a test drive yet?

Paul

Hopefully on Friday, as I have a day off.

BTW, do you think there is a difference in the assembly plants as general quality in fit and finish or staff is kept equally trained everywhere?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, mitadoc said:

Hopefully on Friday, as I have a day off.

BTW, do you think there is a difference in the assembly plants as general quality in fit and finish or staff is kept equally trained everywhere?

People certainly talk of differences, generally with the opinion that the Japan built cars are the best.  All UK RX are built in Japan.  I have no experience in vehicles built anywhere else.

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PDM said:

People certainly talk of differences, generally with the opinion that the Japan built cars are the best.  All UK RX are built in Japan.  I have no experience in vehicles built anywhere else.

Paul

According to the Lexus website they are built in the Cambridge plant.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mitadoc said:

According to the Lexus website they are built in the Cambridge plant.

That's the Canadian plant that supplies North America, the current UK RX is made in Japan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership