Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Got my ISF but I am little disappointed :(

katana92_uk

Hi All,

I have had LS430, GS430, GS300, IS200 and 250 in past. I always wanted ISF and last I managed to import one myself from Japan. 

Landed about 2 months ago. Pics below. It has done 98k KM which is about 60k miles. For the last 2 years I am driving S4 3.0 supercharged.

I dont know if its just me or my expectations were sky high. I find my S4 has more poke and goes like rocket where as ISF feels slow. I feel ISF is lacking poke and doesnt push you against your seat. Feels like its lacking power in early gears and then power kicks in at over 5k rpm in 3rd and onward gears but by then Ford fiesta is miles away lol

ISF just doesnt feel FAST FAST just no punch.

I hope it grows on me 

Thanks

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

• Like 3

Looks beautiful. It is very different car from supercharged/turbocharged Germans... you need to rev it out to feel the power. Not much happens below 4000RPM... I mean by "not much" it still has more power than IS250 at red line, but from 4000RPM it really becomes alive. So you probably need to adjust your driving style a bit.

Or maybe there is some weird Japanese restrictor which doesn't allow it to make whole power?

• Like 2

I dont think it has restrictor but again how would i find out ? I guess i should take it to rolling road for some power prints. 

also I was wondering if there is a way to reset gearbox / ECU / throttle to make it re learn new driving style ? 

1 hour ago, katana92_uk said:

Hi All,

I have had LS430, GS430, GS300, IS200 and 250 in past. I always wanted ISF and last I managed to import one myself from Japan. 

Landed about 2 months ago. Pics below. It has done 98k KM which is about 60k miles. For the last 2 years I am driving S4 3.0 supercharged.

I dont know if its just me or my expectations were sky high. I find my S4 has more poke and goes like rocket where as ISF feels slow. I feel ISF is lacking poke and doesnt push you against your seat. Feels like its lacking power in early gears and then power kicks in at over 5k rpm in 3rd and onward gears but by then Ford fiesta is miles away lol

ISF just doesnt feel FAST FAST just no punch.

I hope it grows on me 

Thanks

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

Looks lovely!!!!

Have you looked into a apexi throttle controller.

• Like 1

Its because of the way the power comes. The NA engines have always had very linear acceleration whereas the S4 you mention has a lot of torque down low which makes it feel faster.

Its the torque that youre feeling. A similiar reason to why any electric car feels rapid despite what their 0-60mph time is

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Its because of the way the power comes. The NA engines have always had very linear acceleration whereas the S4 you mention has a lot of torque down low which makes it feel faster.

Its the torque that youre feeling. A similiar reason to why any electric car feels rapid despite what their 0-60mph time is

I guess that makes sense. i'll look into apexi as well. thanks

I don't believe TB has it's own memory, whatever is there for TB would be part of ECU learning (if there is anything) and resetting ECU would do it.

Remember this is Lexus made with amuricans in mind and their issues with "unintended acceleration", so it is possible they just built in some delay in throttle response and you can't improve it further without throttle controller.

As well you have "sport" button, which should somewhat improve response, but I hate that it makes car to hand on hears for longer and stay in low gear when you lift off. 

• Like 1

That looks stunning, health to drive 🙂

You might also find it will have the 112mph limiter that most JDM imports have.  I've never found a need to remove the limiter on my imports but worth stating it's there.

Hope you gel with the power delivery, comparing to turbocharged engines is difficult as you get used to the 'bang' of power.  Naturally aspirated engines are a tad more refined.  To ease your mind a dyno run should reveal any power losses.

• Like 1

Lovely looking car that ISF. It's already been stated that your S4 will have more low down grunt because of its supercharger. Lexus engines are in my humble opinion the best there are. They're kind of over engineered and bullet proof, one thing that 3.0 audi supercharged engine isn't. Best way and simplest way to compare both cars is this. Treat the ISF like a 2 stroke motorbike. It'll love it. Your Audi treat as a 4 stroke. (yes I know it sounds daft). 

For a V8 that 5.0 litre lump is akin to a F1 engine of old. Just enjoy your new car. Get rid of the Audi before it bankrupts you. £2750 ish to do cam chains is an example. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links