Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Valve Thumb Locks

So getting really annoyed with these screw on tyre inflators, just spend 30 minutes wasting my time by inflating the tyre (just one) and then finding while unscrewing I loose as much as as put in.  Tried over-inflating to compensate, but that was no use.  Should have kept my old but slow inflator with thumb lock

So looking at using one of these little beasties - Ebay - thumb lock

Has anyone tried them, cannot see how the the valve core gets pressed down to open up the valve.  Any thoughts

I never knew that inflators came with screw ons. Have always used the thumb lock variety, didn't even know that's what they're called. They work perfectly. Push on you hear the tyre starting to hiss and you engage the lock, pump, release and pull away quickly. Very little air lost.

Mine is an AA branded pump with a screw on adapter and I must admit I'd prefer one with the old fashioned thumb lock thingy:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HWMPK6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's worth a punt on £3.26 to see what they're like. I would imagine that the screw on adapter is preferred as it takes up less space when trying to cram the hose and power lead back into the all too small cavity!

14 hours ago, peniole said:

I never knew that inflators came with screw ons. Have always used the thumb lock variety, didn't even know that's what they're called. They work perfectly. Push on you hear the tyre starting to hiss and you engage the lock, pump, release and pull away quickly. Very little air lost.

Totally agree.  On my wifes car the screw-on looses about 1PSI where as on LS it is about 3 to 4PSI

Going to try an adaptor and see it it helps.  It does mean the cable will not store as neat, but heck, plenty of space in the spare well (where pump is kept) to not worry about that

Instead of buying that thumb lock adapter spend the money on a good quality tyre pressure gauge. I bought a pump a good number of years ago because of the car at the time I had where the thumb lock type didn't fit well. The screw on type is just fine but pressure is lost when it's removed. I always over inflate. I absolutely Do Not rely on the gauge on the pump as they're just cheap inaccurate items. I then use a separate pressure gauge to release pressure to the desired pressure. 

4 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

absolutely Do Not rely on the gauge on the pump 

Totally agree always check with proper digital meter, been doing so for last 20 years, makes a big difference to handling having all 4 corners correct

• Like 1

Update.

Thumb lock works a treat, no more filthy fingers (or language).  Just screw the lock onto end of pump and locks on tight as you like, and tyre inflated like the good old days.  No need to over inflate.

Going to buy a lock each for the missus and my son, save them faffing about.

Finger tight fit means you can take off the hose if you need to store inside the tight fit pump case.

Thank heavens for e-bay

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links