Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX450h+ Engine Light on - Plug-In Charging System Malfunction

I hope this is an isolated incident...

The NX450h+ arrived last Friday (28 Jan), I managed to charge it in a Tesco 7kW charging point for once on Sat. Unfortunately, my second charging didn't went well. A yellow Engine Light and messages prompted: "Check Engine/Plug-in Charging System Malfunction/Visit Your Dealer". It won't accept Plug-In charge anymore. I drove to dealer (without appointment) and technician done a 30mins quick-check, cleared the DTC and said my dash cams somehow interference with the car. 

Later that night I disconnect the dash cams and tried charging again, the same error comes again. To accommodate loan car schedule, Lexus booked me an inspection upcoming Monday.

Sale person said that they need to do whatever Lexus tell them to do to check/fix the problem. As an owner, I don't want the car to be dismantled extensively in the process. (Anyhow, IMO, it is a new car, the premium price cannot be justified if it needs extensive mechanical repair that might introduces rattles or other wear-off)

My question is... what option I have in this situation? e.g. Can I return and get refund fully? comments/experiences are much appreciated. Thank you.  

image.png

I think in law you have to give them at least one chance to fix it but you’ll probably find they’ll take it back if you ask.  You may also find that we buy any car will give you more than you paid for it.  

1 hour ago, e-yes said:

@CY Leung 

Just curious, if you were able to get this resolved ?

--E

Unfortunately, not yet. Dealer said a component, under back seats, has to be replaced, so I guess it is the on-board charger. They are trying to get it before end of Feb. In the mean time I got a Lexus loan car. 

• Thanks 3

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2022 at 2:37 PM, e-yes said:

Thanks for the update @CY Leung . A friend is considering RAV-4 Plug-In and I had recommended the 450h+ instead to them... so just wanted to know how has it been going.

Thanks,

--E

It took 3 weeks to have the parts shipping from Japan to UK. It was the on-board charger that need to be replaced. 

For the past 2 months it is working faultlessly, I think the issue has been resolved. 

Just for missing weld spot issue, I have car inspected again yesterday, it wasn't affected. I am a bit disappointed which I need to bring in car for twice in few months ownership. 

On loan car, yes dealer was able to arrange me one, that's good as I have one car only. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CY Leung said:

It took 3 weeks to have the parts shipping from Japan to UK. It was the on-board charger that need to be replaced. 

For the past 2 months it is working faultlessly, I think the issue has been resolved. 

Just for missing weld spot issue, I have car inspected again yesterday, it wasn't affected. I am a bit disappointed which I need to bring in car for twice in few months ownership. 

On loan car, yes dealer was able to arrange me one, that's good as I have one car only. 

I hope this is just a blip and you find Lexus a satisfying ownership. Yes, it is very disappointing but failures on components do occur even in a Lexus!

Good luck. May I ask which dealership you used?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hey,  I’ve same error in my NX450 h+. My dealer told me that it will take 40 days or so to fix it because of parts shortages. How is your experience after the fix? Is it working flawlessly without any further issues. 

please let me know. It will help me in determining my next steps. 

52 minutes ago, De Mo said:

Hey,  I’ve same error in my NX450 h+. My dealer told me that it will take 40 days or so to fix it because of parts shortages. How is your experience after the fix? Is it working flawlessly without any further issues. 

please let me know. It will help me in determining my next steps. 

I'm the post owner (Facebook login doesn't work now), had to register a new account. 

Regarding the issue, it works fine after the initial onboard charger replacement. 3-PIN socket / AC 7kw both are working fine. I hope your car fix works out fine. It is indeed a nice car to drive except the run-flat tire is too hard for me. 

In law, with a brand new car you have 30 days in which to reject the car and ask for a full refund if the car is faulty or “not fit for purpose”

I know this as I did exactly that in March of this year with a brand new Mazda CX60 that developed faults in the first two weeks. 

It was rejected and a refund given. I then bought my Lexus NX450h+.

if you are really worried, I would be in contact with your dealer immediately.

This will explain in a bit more detail.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/#:~:text=Short-term right to reject – the first 30 days,-If your new&text=You do not have to,will not get it back.

Either way, I hope you get sorted and this, like you said, is just an isolated incident.

Best of luck.

Thank you for the quick response. Hopefully the fix they are proposing works. Yesterday I went to dealership to renew my contract and they told me that the may be fixed by end of June.