Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New LF-A in the pipeline ?

I'm always a pessimist with these things, especially the LFA, it was meant to be a 'one off' demonstration of Toyota/ Lexus ability to build a super car.

I think re-using the LFA name won't happen...yet, I think it is being used as clickbait in this case. Japanese car making is somewhat in-line with their culture. I remember reading or watching an interview regarding a 'future LFA' and I believe the response was that if it were to happen, it would likely be 20 years time, sort of inline with the rebuild time of their holiest shrine (personally I think it is amazing).

This powertrain mentioned, certainly could be used in 2025, but for now I think it's all Japanese whispers 😛

Part of the beauty of the LFA is its relative simplicity - light weight, naturally aspirated V10, rear wheel drive.

Twin turbocharged V8 hybrid sounds overly complex and heavy. But you never know, maybe they have found a way to make it smaller, lighter, more elegant.

I kind of wish they would just stick to one thing though. If electric is the future then they should be trying to build an electric LFA eventually.

The LFA was born out of passion from passionate people and not accountants and that's the reason they had a limited number production, much like the 2000GT...

They probably will make another master piece but won't call it LFA or publicise it as LFA's spiritual successor. 

And as JC said.."The LFA is so good that not even people who made it, know how to make it again.”

• Like 1

Lexus will undoubtedly make a next gen super car, but I seriously doubt the LFA name will be used. 

There has been news for over a year now regarding what the vehicle may be and I've seen everything from v10 to EV for the engine itself. 

The LFA does something that has rarely been achieved before, it is recognised by everyone as a masterpiece. - And I do not know of a single person that would not have it in the "dream car line up" if money was no object. 

15 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

Part of the beauty of the LFA is its relative simplicity - light weight, naturally aspirated V10, rear wheel drive.

Twin turbocharged V8 hybrid sounds overly complex and heavy. But you never know, maybe they have found a way to make it smaller, lighter, more elegant.

I kind of wish they would just stick to one thing though. If electric is the future then they should be trying to build an electric LFA eventually.

Overly complex and heavy......doesn't sound like a Lexus to me 😉

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

It isn't but, I've already annoyed enough people on EV based threads so I'll say no more 🤣

Next time you want to do some EV bashing, take me with you.

Agree, I doubt Electric is the future. I am no chemistry or physics expert, but based on my experience with batteries, they degrade and become inefficient over time, so all the EVs that are running now will eventually become paper weights.

And oh, if the argument is that they can be recycled, the process is said to be one of the deadliest industrial process to extract metal or other things from recycled batteries, plus the process is 5 times more expensive than extracting the materials naturally, and as Battery production methods are evolving the recycling methods need investment to keep up. So they'll cut corners 

I can only imagine sessiond in parliament in the year 2036 on how to tackle the issue and move the public into hydrogen or some other clean energy vehicles, much like how they are babbling now to move from petrol and diesel to electric, push the energy prices and make money.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2022 at 11:56 PM, Rob RCF said:

Yeah... and I think we have seen that somewhere ohh yes Honda NSX, which was total flop!

33 minutes ago, Rob RCF said:

Why bash EV cars? Electric is more promising than hydrogen or e-fuels.

Can't agree with this. BEV great for short distance, but completely unsustainable for longer distances. As well at least in UK infrastructure just don't exist to support BEVs as default and mainstream choice.

7 hours ago, ironrose said:

Next time you want to do some EV bashing, take me with you.

Agree, I doubt Electric is the future. I am no chemistry or physics expert, but based on my experience with batteries, they degrade and become inefficient over time, so all the EVs that are running now will eventually become paper weights.

And oh, if the argument is that they can be recycled, the process is said to be one of the deadliest industrial process to extract metal or other things from recycled batteries, plus the process is 5 times more expensive than extracting the materials naturally, and as battery production methods are evolving the recycling methods need investment to keep up. So they'll cut corners 

I can only imagine sessiond in parliament in the year 2036 on how to tackle the issue and move the public into hydrogen or some other clean energy vehicles, much like how they are babbling now to move from petrol and diesel to electric, push the energy prices and make money.

And at current rate we are about to run out of lithium by 2040s (well before we run out of dinosaur juice ~2100). This is despite us being nowhere near close enough to replace all ICEVs with BEVs, only 3% have been replaced. In short we simply don't have enough lithium to make all cars worldwide into BEVs - even ONCE! Not to mention it is unsustainable long term, because we most certainly won't be able to replace the cars once batteries in old ones dies. 

Besides synthetic fuels are technically renewable, hydrogen can be made with very low CO2 emissions by nuclear energy and we already waste like 40% of nuclear power, because reactors must run all the time, but there are peaks in demand, so during the time of low demand we simply wasting the energy generated. However, if we build hydrogen plant next to nuclear reactor, then any energy wasted could be used to generate basically free hydrogen, not to mention there would be no transmission and pumping losses, like it case of hydro-accumulation plants.

• Like 2