Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus IS200 timing belt off by one tooth = bent valves?

Jarson

Hi guys, 

I just had my timing belt and water pump changed. I drove the car from the garage arround 10miles the car was running nicely no sounds no issues, the next day i drove to work and the yellow check engine light went ON, then the car started driving very lazy like it was in limp mode? Took it back to the mechanic and he found the belt was off by one tooth. He redone the the belt and should be fine now Im going to pick the car up tomorrow. 

I read all the topics i could find here and people mention alot "bent valves". 

What is the chance of having bent valves if I drove the car for arround 20 miles with having the belt one tooth off?  😭

3 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

You should be fine if it was only 1 tooth out.

Thanks mate i hope so much that you are right. I cant sleep over this 😭😁😁

On 2/4/2022 at 8:33 PM, Jarson said:

Thanks mate i hope so much that you are right. I cant sleep over this 😭😁😁

This took me back to the time when, as a lad, I bought a Lotus Elan and was rebuilding it.  For some reason, I was doing this in the well-equipped garage of a casual acquaintance and self-styled car enthusiast.

I had a workshop manual that I was working from.  Having reassembled the engine block, head, cams and belt, my acquaintance came over to check the work and, pointing to the timing marks on the gear wheels, we had the following conversation.

He said: “You’ve got that wrong.  They should be adjacent!”

”They are adjacent.” I replied.

”No”, he chuckled. “Adjacent means opposite.”

”No, John.  Adjacent means together.”

”Does it?” he queried.

”Trust me, John.  I’m a writer. I’m supposed to know these things.”

He was a really nice guy, but I often wondered what happened to the other engines he’d worked on! 

• Like 1

😁 I picked up the car yesterday, he reassembled it he said he made sure everything is 100% right by hes book. I asked about the valves if there could be any damage to them he assured me there wasnt any damage to them at all. 

The engine is running smooth, i cant hear any noise from the engine at all that shouldnt be there, I took it for a spin yesterday to see if the engine light will not come ON again but it didnt so everything seems to be fine we will see in next few days hopefully nothing will come on and the car will be fine fingers crossed 😁

• Like 2

If the valves were gone, the engine would stall or at least misfire and lose power. So drive it around hard and test it. From what I can hear in the videos, the engine sounds OK.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, note said:

If the valves were gone, the engine would stall or at least misfire and lose power. So drive it around hard and test it. From what I can hear in the videos, the engine sounds OK.

Thank you very much for your reply I aprreciate it. I drove arround and there is no missfire no stalling. On the power side, i only have the car for arround 3 weeks now, i feel like the car had littlebut more power before but i think I only got used to the car 😁

I noticed that the engine seems to be ticking louder than before the timing belt change but again im not sure maybe its just my paranoia hopefully 

If there are any bent valves, the engine will have reduced power, difficulty in starting, increase fuel consumption and vibration at low rpm.

Check and adjust the valve clearances if adjustable or locate the noisy hydraulic self adjusting valve buckets and replace them.

If you have any worn or damaged valve guides, you need to remove the cylinder head to inspect and repair.

You can inspect the pistons through the spark holes with camera. If there are is no valve contact evidence, then " seeing is believing " !

Chris.

• Thanks 1

@Jarson, here is how my engine sounds. Don't know if you can make a comparison. As @Mihanicossaid, the ticking noise maybe the valves needing adjustment. But that is done manually and is labour intensive, so it may not be worth it, if the engine runs OK.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2022 at 4:32 AM, Mihanicos said:

If there are any bent valves, the engine will have reduced power, difficulty in starting, increase fuel consumption and vibration at low rpm.

Check and adjust the valve clearances if adjustable or locate the noisy hydraulic self adjusting valve buckets and replace them.

If you have any worn or damaged valve guides, you need to remove the cylinder head to inspect and repair.

You can inspect the pistons through the spark holes with camera. If there are is no valve contact evidence, then " seeing is believing " !

Chris.

8 hours ago, note said:

@Jarson, here is how my engine sounds. Don't know if you can make a comparison. As @Mihanicossaid, the ticking noise maybe the valves needing adjustment. But that is done manually and is labour intensive, so it may not be worth it, if the engine runs OK.

Thank you very much for your replies I appriciate it 😊

@Mihanicos

I do not have the knowledge and skills to be able to to inspect valves and pistons, I would end up probably dping more harm than good 😁

@note

Your car seems to "tick" alot less.

But also my phone seems to pick out the ticking noise better than my ears can 🤷

So far the cars runs fine, no engine light no faults so I think its all good, I guess the time will show. 

The idle is very steady at arround 650 RPM when is warm so I guess the valves are ok for now. 

Im going to do the service on it with my friend. Change oil, filters, power steering fluid and spark plugs and see maybe it will idle quieter. 

I found the Denso IK20TT spark plugs for £48 for 6 of them.