Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Something light hearted

Mr Vlad

• 2 weeks later...

Joking aside i know ive mentioned this on another thread somewhere. I looked at EV chargers at a coupleof service stations never seen one used but i took time to read instructions i thinkit was an ecotricity one. Dont use if raining dont use if thunder lightning etc dont use if electric storm. It never read if flooded LOL like your pic.

10 hours ago, ALAW said:

at EV chargers at a coupleof service stations never seen one used

have you seen the new BP TV advert ?

Young guy puts his EV on Charge at the new charging post .......  brilliant

He pops into the shop for a coffee etc ..  and next he's outside going to his car and looks at his phone which tells the time he's been there .......  21.32 ..  not at night

The time he's spent charging .....  21 minutes  32 seconds methinks

NOW I KNOW BP is upgrading it's forecourts to include modern day shops and shopping for all AND I read on the Finance Briefing for Shareholders etc a while back that they are expecting BPs profits to be equal from the shop sales as fuel

I'm guessing all their forecourts will have mass EV charging points which will generate mass shop sales 

Just a thought :whistling:

Malc

• Like 1

Spot on Malc. The EV world is turning into a golden opportunity for the petrol station brigade. Installing chargers is easy, the location is already there. When the wiring is done you can easily expand by placing new chargers. They dont need staff all is fully automatic 24/24. They are way cheaper than petrol pumps, pollution/special pavement/cleaning/maintenance etc.  The time it takes to charge people will spend money in the shop getting a bite and a coffee. BP expects to make more money from chargers than from the petrol/diesel per charge already next year so guess where the investment is going. Over here Shell is installing 350kwh chargers in every station they have including innercity ones. Times they are changing.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 10:29 AM, dutchie01 said:

Spot on Malc. The EV world is turning into a golden opportunity for the petrol station brigade. Installing chargers is easy, the location is already there.

Not just for petrol stations. My local Mcdonalds drive through has a couple of rapid chargers in the car park. The EV world is also going to bring a long more competition to the petrol stations.

27 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

Not just for petrol stations. My local Mcdonalds drive through has a couple of rapid chargers in the car park. The EV world is also going to bring a long more competition to the petrol stations.

What I don't get is this scenario....

A motorway service station that has rip off fuel prices is normally pretty busy, so let's say the average time to refuel is about 5-10mins from the time you stop to the time you drive off.

Even with the fastest chargers the average stopping time is going to be much longer, plus most electric cars have a shorter range than an ICE (typically 200 miles vs 400 miles) so surely there will need to be acres of charging space, not to mention the electrical engineering required to deliver all that power...

14 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

What I don't get is this scenario....

A motorway service station that has rip off fuel prices is normally pretty busy, so let's say the average time to refuel is about 5-10mins from the time you stop to the time you drive off.

Even with the fastest chargers the average stopping time is going to be much longer, plus most electric cars have a shorter range than an ICE (typically 200 miles vs 400 miles) so surely there will need to be acres of charging space, not to mention the electrical engineering required to deliver all that power...

Imagine a motorway service station heading to the West Country during peak non school term times. I've seen long queues for petrol/diesel, cars lining up before the main carpark even. There may be motorway rapid charging points but that doesn't mean the EV owners will be rapidly eating their burgers on a nice sunny day. Arguments are around the corner I think!

1 hour ago, Bluemarlin said:

Supermarkets LIDL and ALDI in germany offering free charging for their customers! DIY stores, gardencenters shoppingmalls and so on.

9 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

or how long it takes to charge an EV etc etc.

BP advert says 21 mins 32 secs    Enuf time for a relaxed burger and coffee at McDs or a normal service station and the motorways usually have plenty of land around them to have a 100 or more EV Charging points ..  and after all it's only like plugging in an electric kettle ....  isn't it :whistling:

Lots of spare dosh to be extracted from EV motorists it seems....... .  be much much cheaper to own a conventional petrol or diesel car AND to lose a little excess weight too maybe ...  bring on the V8s :thumbsup:

Malc

• 2 weeks later...