Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear bumper protection plate - advice sought

PeteTP

Hello there,

I am politely looking for feedback from any ES owner member who selected this accessory on the original build or retrofitted one post delivery. 

Please may I ask how you feel it looks in the flesh, does it provide adequate protection and (most importantly) do you feel it was a worthwhile addition/enhancement to your car?

TIA.

PeteTP

I had one fitted on collection at Leicester. My IS300h had one and after a wheelchair incident in my wife's car resulting in a £180 fix, I decided to have one fitted to Betsy. My IS250 developed a number of scratches on the bumper over the years from hoofing amps/cabinets/servers/switches in and out so I thought it would be worth protecting Betsy's delicate rump. I think it looks quite smart:

image.thumb.png.9915e50c4a09eac1db911b26e0ae2e26.png

• Like 1

Actually had one on the tester and thought it didn't look very useful so skipped it. It does look better on darker colored cars, on silver it looked like a bit of a stick on afterthought (which it is). Admittedly, I don't frequently haul anything back there more strenuous than the weekly shop. I did fill the boot twice in our move from Germany, no problems without one. Mind you I am OCD especially when it comes to car upkeep/usage. So not an average user.

Good afternoon and thanks for those replies. I share the experience of scuff marks on my IS over the years I had it. My wife couldn’t see them but me being a fastidious old Hector could. 
My car is metallic black and the darker colour the better sentiment adds to the pro lobby. The nay sayers call “too dear” but body repairs would be more expensive.

Greatly appreciate your candid feedback.

PeteTP

Hi just like to say i had it on my 2019 plate takumi in white and the stainless they use for it is not good as it starts to get very small rust spots on it, i had it replaced because someone ran into the back of me and even the new replacement started to go the same way so be careful  

Hello

34 minutes ago, VinnyB said:

Hi just like to say i had it on my 2019 plate takumi in white and the stainless they use for it is not good as it starts to get very small rust spots on it, i had it replaced because someone ran into the back of me and even the new replacement started to go the same way so be careful  

Hello,

Thanks for your advice. Thought stainless was corrosion free. Also bit surprised that Lexus have used inferior quality material. Did you ask about replacement FoC?

Hmmm, that has cast doubt in my mind. Wonder has anyone else shared your experience?

Thanks again.

PeteTP

1 hour ago, PeteTP said:

Thought stainless was corrosion free.

Corrosion resistant, but not free https://www.marlinwire.com/blog/5-things-that-will-corrode-stainless-steel

The one I saw on the tester didn't look like stainless to me, I thought it was textured/brushed chromed plastic.

The protector trim for an ES is metal for certain and is a £170 item to buy.  I asked Lexus Leeds to supply one as I wanted to fit it myself.   I expected to pay for it on collection back in January but somehow it got booked to the car internally and the salesman decided to waive the cost so it was a nice freebie.  I would say it is stainless steel and my previous ES had one as part of a free protection pack Lexus Carlisle gave me in 2019 and after 2 and half years showed no signs of corrosion.    Held in place  by  double sided tape, it even has an arrow in the middle of the trim to align it with the boot lid striker and once aligned you just peel off the grey protection tape.    It looks more aesthetic than giving massive protection but the brushed effect to the metal and the Lexus name etched into it still makes it worth having I think.     

Pete 

I have been in the metals industry all my life its defo stainless but it could be 430 grade which is cheaper but not as resistant as say marine grade 316, the rust marks are very small but do appear, just for info for everyone stainless does rust if it gets scratched deep enough thats why its not called rustless 😂

Vince,

Thank you for your wisdom and educating me further. Mind you, I dunno if this is an item that one day will annoy me if I see these tiny corrosion pits.

Many thanks nevertheless.

PeteTP

Hey Vince glad to see you still keep your eye on the forum's posts even though you changed allegiance  to that huge luxury BMW 7 series. How is that going, you still have it?

Love the detail regarding the grades of stainless steel, didn't know there were  grade variations. Moreover stainless steel rusting if it gets scratched, real surprise.   Are you still in the extrusion business?

Steve 

Hi Vince, good to know re: retiring. Best thing for sure.  I live in East Yorks now about 12 miles off the coast but when you finish we can meet up and compare BMW versus  Lexus.