Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Touch -up paint Infrared

RiverFred

I had a small paint chip that underneath revealed a grey color, I assume is primer. When I applied the color match 3T5 the paint was much darker (very dark red.) Several more touch-up coats remained dark red not matching the infrared color at all.

Has anyone else experienced this? i have not tried adding white then the color match.

I have touched up my Sonic Red door edge which had a very small chip on. I used the two pot Lexus kit and followed the instructions but using a cocktail stick instead of a brush to apply the tiny bit of paint required. The base coat looks the incorrect colour until you put on the top coat. It then changes to the proper appearance. The area on my door edge is now undetectable after a mild polish.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 10:20 AM, malcolmw said:

I have touched up my Sonic Red door edge which had a very small chip on. I used the two pot Lexus kit and followed the instructions but using a cocktail stick instead of a brush to apply the tiny bit of paint required. The base coat looks the incorrect colour until you put on the top coat. It then changes to the proper appearance. The area on my door edge is now undetectable after a mild polish.

Where did you purchase this kit? I went on the internet and cannot find Lexus two pot touchup paint kit.

You are in the UK I am in the USA, appreciate any help (riverfred1@gmail.com)

On 2/12/2022 at 7:31 PM, RiverFred said:

Not sure what your question is (riverfred1@gmail.com)

As in how did you get on with using the touch up paint, did you take before/after pictures? I need to do the same for a small chip on my LC.

On 2/13/2022 at 3:32 AM, eightk said:

Should be this : "3T5 Sonic Red / Radiant Red / InfraRed PZ448-W3T51-09 (The lacquer in this kit is tinted to achieve the correct colour once finished)"

🙂

Thanks for the part #.  I used 3T5 for my infrared paint and the paint was very very red. Did your first coat go on the same color, very red before applying the lacquer coat?

Also, on my 3T5 touch up paint the #'s below read: 00258003T521 (could be just the batch number)

On 2/14/2022 at 4:29 AM, Oracle said:

As in how did you get on with using the touch up paint, did you take before/after pictures? I need to do the same for a small chip on my LC.

Still trying to figure out best solution as the paint touch up is much darker (blood red) than the car infrared color. I have not applied a clear coat yet because it says clear. I tested the 3T5 on white background and it matches the car color. I am guessing the grey color underneath the chip area is a primer chemical that caused the touch up color to turn much darker. Additional touch up paint remained the same dark color. I can always try a white touch up then the 3T5 if no other solution.

I would like to know if anyone else experienced the very very dark color and the clear corrected the color. It does not seem possible.

On 2/8/2022 at 10:20 AM, malcolmw said:

Sorry for the late response, was the base paint coat when first applied much darker than the top coat that corrected the color? My base paint is a very dark red compared to the car color of infrared.

On 2/14/2022 at 4:29 AM, Oracle said:

Still trying to figure it out, see the forum for my comments. 

• 1 month later...

I have used Chipex on my Cadoxton Slate LC with good results, it fills the chips and then you smooth it out they also mix the colour to you reg number.