Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Morning all. Having read several threads about the 12v going flat after a period of non use, I’ve recently experienced this. Two weeks away turned into four weeks and I had to get Lexus (aka the AA) out to jump start it. No problem as such but got me thinking about future periods on non use. What solar chargers do others use? What connector is recommended? I see that Halfords sell a couple of different models, amazon sell a couple of AA recommended ones.

TIA for any answers.

3 minutes ago, Kelvin1950 said:

Morning all. Having read several threads about the 12v going flat after a period of non use, I’ve recently experienced this. Two weeks away turned into four weeks and I had to get Lexus (aka the AA) out to jump start it. No problem as such but got me thinking about future periods on non use. What solar chargers do others use? What connector is recommended? I see that Halfords sell a couple of different models, Amazon sell a couple of AA recommended ones.

TIA for any answers.

I bought an AA recommended one from amazon many years ago and it has been just fine. I recommend one that connects to the OBD Port under the dash as that minimises the length of trailing cable.

Google OBD PORT on IS300H, IF YOU DON`T KNOW WHERE IT IS Kelvin......(on board diagnostics)

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

I bought an AA recommended one from Amazon many years ago and it has been just fine. I recommend one that connects to the OBD Port under the dash as that minimises the length of trailing cable.

Google OBD PORT on IS300H, IF YOU DON`T KNOW WHERE IT IS Kelvin......(on board diagnostics)

Thanks John. Yes I understand OBD port! I think that’s best as the “cigarette lighter” isn’t permanently live AFAIK.

2 hours ago, Kelvin1950 said:

Thanks John. Yes I understand OBD port! I think that’s best as the “cigarette lighter” isn’t permanently live AFAIK.

I can`t teach you anything Kelvin and with a name like that you should be driving a Tesla ?🤣👍

3 minutes ago, Jose DS said:

Not very technical here - but is my understanding re the solar charger right, in that you literally plug it in to the OBD port, place the panel somewhere sunny and let it do its magic?

Yes, I place it on the dashboard with the car facing South on the Driveway.

Instruction leaflet should accompany the purchase.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I can`t teach you anything Kelvin and with a name like that you should be driving a Tesla ?🤣👍

LOL! I also ought to live in Glasgow I guess. 😄

I've ordered the AA 4.8 watt one. Must remember to take a compass with me so I can work out where to place it at night in a Heathrow car park!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2022 at 12:55 PM, Kelvin1950 said:

LOL! I also ought to live in Glasgow I guess. 😄

I've ordered the AA 4.8 watt one. Must remember to take a compass with me so I can work out where to place it at night in a Heathrow car park!!!

Hi Kelvin 

Can I just ask is this the one you got "https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Essentials-AA1432-Battery-Charger/dp/B084M5ZL5L/ref=sr_1_1?crid=297C5NRN9FU3M&keywords=solar%2Bfor%2Bcar%2Bobd&pd_rd_r=8992004e-9626-4e69-b08d-948b05aea33e&pd_rd_w=8q8st&pd_rd_wg=0ppTG&pf_rd_p=11e386e2-bc84-4d78-925b-79a41137b3cc&pf_rd_r=Z6RWS6MVDKDGK0F8X406&pid=ue0ymbN&qid=1646223661&s=automotive&sprefix=solar%2Bchargers%2Bfor%2Bcars%2Bobd%2Cautomotive%2C140&sr=1-1-catcorr&vehicle=842-11010-11227-58983--0&vehicleName=Lexus%2BIS%2BIII%2BSaloon%2B300h&th=1" ? 

Am I correct to assume the car being hybrid would not make a difference in the model you buy?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links