Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fold mirrors when locking after market option

Hi All

I was looking to have this function added to my car as its pretty handy, but not all models have this. So I bought this "https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000551521228.html?_randl_currency=GBP&_randl_shipto=GB&src=google&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=708-803-3821&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&albagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&albcp=9604713100&albag=99283534296&trgt=313429380675&crea=en4000551521228&netw=u&device=c&albpg=313429380675&albpd=en4000551521228&gclid=Cj0KCQiAraSPBhDuARIsAM3Js4puG2LtFm78nGbMgshlvwV7O3mI225Kl-wd4bY9Pmvnj8uZ88alWtUaAvVOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&aff_fcid=94995c4f2bc74611a3f4bfb3ecfadf9d-1642708791687-05996-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneMJZVf&aff_trace_key=94995c4f2bc74611a3f4bfb3ecfadf9d-1642708791687-05996-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=8bcc414f7e1a4241a21f234aa5af2fea&afSmartRedirect=n&utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks"

and I thought I post this in case someone else is interested, the product works fine and the fitting would take 30 min to 1h depending on your DIY skills. Also as the ad mentions you might need to change some connectors for UK, I connected mine without needing to change anything.

I would put my steps here but you can find all the steps in this video "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqrZ3z2FpC8" the only tricky part is the centre lock connector cable that once you are connecting the module its hard to fit the cable somewhere where you can assemble the panels.

The only thing I don't understand and I don't know how to change is that to close the mirror you have to press the lock button twice.

Glad to see someone finally made a plug in loom for this. 

I fitted a universal one and done a write up on it a few years ago but it had to be spliced in as no plug and play options existed

2 hours ago, Amir_hmn2002 said:

Hi All

I was looking to have this function added to my car as its pretty handy, but not all models have this. So I bought this "https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000551521228.html?_randl_currency=GBP&_randl_shipto=GB&src=google&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=708-803-3821&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&albagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&albcp=9604713100&albag=99283534296&trgt=313429380675&crea=en4000551521228&netw=u&device=c&albpg=313429380675&albpd=en4000551521228&gclid=Cj0KCQiAraSPBhDuARIsAM3Js4puG2LtFm78nGbMgshlvwV7O3mI225Kl-wd4bY9Pmvnj8uZ88alWtUaAvVOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&aff_fcid=94995c4f2bc74611a3f4bfb3ecfadf9d-1642708791687-05996-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneMJZVf&aff_trace_key=94995c4f2bc74611a3f4bfb3ecfadf9d-1642708791687-05996-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=8bcc414f7e1a4241a21f234aa5af2fea&afSmartRedirect=n&utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks"

and I thought I post this in case someone else is interested, the product works fine and the fitting would take 30 min to 1h depending on your DIY skills. Also as the ad mentions you might need to change some connectors for UK, I connected mine without needing to change anything.

I would put my steps here but you can find all the steps in this video "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqrZ3z2FpC8" the only tricky part is the centre lock connector cable that once you are connecting the module its hard to fit the cable somewhere where you can assemble the panels.

The only thing I don't understand and I don't know how to change is that to close the mirror you have to press the lock button twice.

I had similar scenario on the po-40 aftermarket module I got on my is250 many years back.. I did everything as instructed but had to press lock twice for mirrors to fold. It quickly became annoying so I reached out to the sellers who arranged a Skype call with me and his supplier in Taiwan.  Turns out there was a different wire (purple) required for UK cars.. so once I spliced to the and tried locking car BOOM.. 1 press lock and mirrors would fold and vice versa... I suspect you have same sort of issue, would suggest contacting the seller for advice.

• Like 1

That's a very nice and above all cheap solution!

The only thing that scares me of a bit are the two mechanical cables I see in the YT-movie, the one with the green and gray piece at the end (you'll see them at 2:46 and 2:54 in the YT-movie). In the movie nothing is explained about these cables. Are those the cables you reference as "the only tricky part"?
My experience is that once this kind of cables is disconnected, it's very difficult to get them reconnected again. Or am I wrong here?

On 2/18/2022 at 12:05 AM, agent_dess said:

I had similar scenario on the po-40 aftermarket module I got on my is250 many years back.. I did everything as instructed but had to press lock twice for mirrors to fold. It quickly became annoying so I reached out to the sellers who arranged a Skype call with me and his supplier in Taiwan.  Turns out there was a different wire (purple) required for UK cars.. so once I spliced to the and tried locking car BOOM.. 1 press lock and mirrors would fold and vice versa... I suspect you have same sort of issue, would suggest contacting the seller for advice.

Thank you, I will chase it up with them.

12 hours ago, John Nooij said:

That's a very nice and above all cheap solution!

The only thing that scares me of a bit are the two mechanical cables I see in the YT-movie, the one with the green and gray piece at the end (you'll see them at 2:46 and 2:54 in the YT-movie). In the movie nothing is explained about these cables. Are those the cables you reference as "the only tricky part"?
My experience is that once this kind of cables is disconnected, it's very difficult to get them reconnected again. Or am I wrong here?

Hi John 

The full process is much easier than it looks. The module comes specific for Lexus so the cabeles fit like a missing puzzle. 

The two mechanical cables you are referring to connects and disconnects like bicycle breack cable. Its very easy.

The tricky part I was referring too is basically finding space for all the new cables, etc. that you jusr fitted in the door panel so you can close it off properly.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a very interesting gadget and I would like to order and install it in my car. My IS300h meets the conditions. But I'm still a little anxious about removing the door panels. The YT movie shows clearly how the connectors should be connected, but the removal of the door panels is not easy to see. And I like to be prepared before I start this DIY job.

For example, after loosening the screws, should I pull the panel down or should I push it up or pull it towards me? I could go push, pull and wrench randomly, but I don't think that's wise. Also the mechanical cables that come loose from (an unknown position in) the panel when the door panel is released scare me somehow. Is reconnecting these cables obvious? I can't see this.

Does anyone know whether I can find a clear description for detaching the door panels in an IS300h or is there a YT movie that shows this better? I found some YT movies for door panel detachment in an ES300 and an (old model) IS300, but not for my IS300h (MY 2019).

1 hour ago, John Nooij said:

I think this is a very interesting gadget and I would like to order and install it in my car. My IS300h meets the conditions. But I'm still a little anxious about removing the door panels. The YT movie shows clearly how the connectors should be connected, but the removal of the door panels is not easy to see. And I like to be prepared before I start this DIY job.

For example, after loosening the screws, should I pull the panel down or should I push it up or pull it towards me? I could go push, pull and wrench randomly, but I don't think that's wise. Also the mechanical cables that come loose from (an unknown position in) the panel when the door panel is released scare me somehow. Is reconnecting these cables obvious? I can't see this.

Does anyone know whether I can find a clear description for detaching the door panels in an IS300h or is there a YT movie that shows this better? I found some YT movies for door panel detachment in an ES300 and an (old model) IS300, but not for my IS300h (MY 2019).

Its always scary the 1st time but if you follow everything correctly you should be fine.

2014 IS250 Front door:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPiz1HYb300
2015 IS250 Rear Door:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EXjqJ1F1UY

Don't imagine there would be much difference on the 2019 other than cosmetic changes and the IS250/300h are all siblings anyway.

Thanks a lot Dess.

Indeed, it appears that the IS300h and IS250 door panels are mounted in the same way. Your YT movie also clearly shows how those two mechanical cables are attached.

And apparently, after removing the screws, you have to pull the bottom of the panel towards you and when that is loose then push the whole panel up. At least it's getting a lot clearer.

3 hours ago, John Nooij said:

Hi John 

The actual process is straightforward. With some basic DIY skills, you can get it done. To make your job easier, I recommend getting a trim removal tool kit.
This is the one I use for everything:  "https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08JJ58Q47/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" but you don't need all of it even a basic kit will do the job.
For the door panel, after loosening the screws, it is connected with clips that you pull towards you to pull out (You can use the trim removal tool kit if you have one) for most of it except the top part that is sitting on the main door that you pull upward, there is no clip it's just sitting on the door. As I mentioned earlier, the mechanical cables fit like bicycle brake/gear cables; you turn them perpendicular to the door panel and then you will see the gap that you can release the cables and put them back the same way, but yes reconnecting them is very obvious.   
I hope this helps, but feel free to ask any questions on this post if you get stuck.

Hi,

Got one of these arriving soon. Has anyone got specific details on the one versus two button press modification required to the cable (purple wire mentioned previously). Many Thanks.

The seller is pretty sparse on the details in this respect:

08093D47-377D-49B2-8A0F-5E4FC8221FFD.jpeg

Hi, 

So the product works okay as it is, I have raised the two issues I get with the seller,

1. To close the mirror you need a two button press to make it work

2. Sometimes when putting the car in gear and the car lucks the doors it will also close the mirrors 

but I am finding it very difficult to understand, here is my conversation, I would appreciate it if someone can explain what they trying to say:

Me: I have received the product and installed it. the product works fine when unlocking the door, but it doesn't close the mirrors with a single press. Could you please let me know what is the problem here? is the product faulty?  

Seller: could you adjust the pink wire?

Seea89f671fd6487e8967d4d3a7b6bdabe.jpg

Sb34ecfc7bf0042b387e7b965bd32f143D.jpg

Me: Sorry could you please elaborate on the instruction. What exactly do you want me to do with the pink wire. In the first pic you are pointing at the pink wire and blue one in the corner? do you want me to swap them?

and at the bottom of the picture you want me to swap the blue wire with the white one?

Seller: change the pin wire to the pin beside the orange wire

Me: So I only need to change the blue wire with the orange wire that are pointed out?

also when I put the car in gear when the car automatically lucks the car the unit folds the mirror, how can I fix this?

Seller: the white wire of the product is ACC, does it have 12v when starting the car? if no, cut the white wire, then the controller side connect to ACC

This was the chat with the seller, does any one understand what are they saying?

10 hours ago, Amir_hmn2002 said:

Hi, 

So the product works okay as it is, I have raised the two issues I get with the seller,

1. To close the mirror you need a two button press to make it work

2. Sometimes when putting the car in gear and the car lucks the doors it will also close the mirrors 

but I am finding it very difficult to understand, here is my conversation, I would appreciate it if someone can explain what they trying to say:

Me: I have received the product and installed it. the product works fine when unlocking the door, but it doesn't close the mirrors with a single press. Could you please let me know what is the problem here? is the product faulty?  

Seller: could you adjust the pink wire?

Seea89f671fd6487e8967d4d3a7b6bdabe.jpg

Sb34ecfc7bf0042b387e7b965bd32f143D.jpg

Me: Sorry could you please elaborate on the instruction. What exactly do you want me to do with the pink wire. In the first pic you are pointing at the pink wire and blue one in the corner? do you want me to swap them?

and at the bottom of the picture you want me to swap the blue wire with the white one?

Seller: change the pin wire to the pin beside the orange wire

Me: So I only need to change the blue wire with the orange wire that are pointed out?

also when I put the car in gear when the car automatically lucks the car the unit folds the mirror, how can I fix this?

Seller: the white wire of the product is ACC, does it have 12v when starting the car? if no, cut the white wire, then the controller side connect to ACC

This was the chat with the seller, does any one understand what are they saying?

So mine arrived yesterday, but my cable layout is different from the images. But going on what the seller is showing, they seem to be saying that the top LH two cables have the unlock and lock signals on a UK car (for the plug shape shown). If this is right on my cable I should move the pink next to the orange to align with the other plug, or is the seller saying the pink and orange should not be on the lock/unlock pins? This is just my guess so obviously don’t necessarily risk trying this and damaging your car please! Maybe pass to the seller first see if they agree or an electrical expert on the forum could confirm?

FBDF77EA-5CB4-43A6-9BF9-A268B5608ED5.jpeg

BCAEDE5E-3A61-4EE3-A9D6-183C661B09F3.jpeg

47D373F9-FA70-4572-9055-25603EADA7A2.jpeg

BC90E964-F795-4285-8056-9F8619D0F91C.jpeg

Can you confirm or post a picture of how many wires are on the new module. I can only see 4 in the picture. I've done this on my car but no plug in loom was available at the time. I done a write up on it but without pictures.

If you post a pic of the module wires and any instructions you have I Will try to assist on what should be where for rhd.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Shada said:

Can you confirm or post a picture of how many wires are on the new module. I can only see 4 in the picture. I've done this on my car but no plug in loom was available at the time. I done a write up on it but without pictures.

If you post a pic of the module wires and any instructions you have I Will try to assist on what should be where for rhd.

Thanks Shada, Amir please post too if your layout is different to the one I received:

A9FA786D-C8F3-4CBA-9B1C-FA057270DE8E.jpeg

C6C67FC0-4778-4C49-88EA-590B4F3C33BD.jpeg

785CC28E-00BC-47CF-B978-3BD79405DBD3.jpeg

E56CDC89-2FF2-48D7-BC50-B3986D21176F.jpeg

9C1D789D-1A7D-4EDD-9AC0-8DB5E7048F99.jpeg

I have also ordered and received the device.
My car is a left-hand drive and therefore I have asked the seller whether the device works "out of the box" with a left-hand drive.  He replied also with those vague photos and unclear explanations. I haven't done anything with it yet.
Anyway, your photos Max show exactly the same connectors and wiring as with my device.

However, when you say Amir that the unit also fold in the mirrors when you put the car in gear and the car automatically locks the car, I wonder whether this also happens when the doors close automatically when driving away. That’s the case in my situation (I configured this in the car settings). If that is the case, it will be a problem, because I want to keep the automatic door closing when driving away.

11 hours ago, Maxz said:

Thanks Shada, Amir please post too if your layout is different to the one I received:

A9FA786D-C8F3-4CBA-9B1C-FA057270DE8E.jpeg

C6C67FC0-4778-4C49-88EA-590B4F3C33BD.jpeg

785CC28E-00BC-47CF-B978-3BD79405DBD3.jpeg

E56CDC89-2FF2-48D7-BC50-B3986D21176F.jpeg

9C1D789D-1A7D-4EDD-9AC0-8DB5E7048F99.jpeg

Hi Max 

Did you buy yours from the same link I shared in the post? I can't remember exactly how mine was but it look hell of lot like yours. I have already installed mine so I have to put some time this week to open it up and take it out again. I am talking to the seller so that I know exactly what I need to do before opening it up. 

They did ask me to send them a picture of the device so if you bought it from the same link that would help and I can send it to them and ask for clarification.

Hi Amir,

I ordered the item from the AliExpress link you provided.  Included in the package was this document, I have no idea what to do with it.  I guess you guys have the document in the box?

IMG_20220310_111606~2.jpg

I have also ordered and received the device.
My car is a left-hand drive and therefore I have asked the seller whether the device works "out of the box" with a left-hand drive.  He replied also with those vague photos and unclear explanations. I haven't done anything with it yet.
Anyway, your photos Max show exactly the same connectors and wiring as with my device.

However, when you say Amir that the unit also fold in the mirrors when you put the car in gear and the car automatically locks the car, I wonder whether this also happens when the doors close automatically when driving away. That’s the case in my situation (I configured this in the car settings). If that is the case, it will be a problem, because I want to keep the automatic door closing when driving away.

Hi John 

I installed the unit as it was right out of the box, and it works okay. It's just me that likes things to work perfect 😄 and also for me it's fun to learn these things and play around with them.

If you just install it, it does the job the only issues you might experience is that to close the mirror you have to press the lock button twice and all these suggestions to change the wires is to resolve that issue. 

The issue with the automatic lock function when putting the car in gear only happens on rare occasion, but I am also trying to see how this could be resolved and will get back to you as soon as I have a solution.

Hi Amir,

I ordered the item from the AliExpress link you provided.  Included in the package was this document, I have no idea what to do with it.  I guess you guys have the document in the box?

IMG_20220310_111606~2.jpg

Yes, I have the same one, I thought this was only used in case you need to swap the cabals of locking and locking wire for RHD cars.

23 minutes ago, Amir_hmn2002 said:

The issue with the automatic lock function when putting the car in gear only happens on rare occasion, but I am also trying to see how this could be resolved and will get back to you as soon as I have a solution.

Ok, thank you.  Pressing the mirror button twice to close it manually is not a very big issue for me.  But when the mirrors close when the doors are locked automatically while driving away, well... that will be an issue.

Can you confirm that the mirrors don't fold when the doors are locked automatically when driving away (cause I have configured that) or when you press the door lock button in car?  Can you please try this?

Ok, thank you.  Pressing the mirror button twice to close it manually is not a very big issue for me.  But when the mirrors close when the doors are locked automatically while driving away, well... that will be an issue.

Can you confirm that the mirrors don't fold when the doors are locked automatically when driving away (cause I have configured that) or when you press the door lock button in car?  Can you please try this?

So for the first part when I am talking about pressing the button twice, I am talking about lock button on the remote or the door handle not the mirror button.

For the second part, when I put the car in gear, my car settings are set to lock the doors. since I have installed this in my car, I drove it a good few times and it only happened to me twice out of many times that mirrors started folding, this might just be a bug with the unit.

locking it manually doesn't fold the mirrors, I tried that few times.

Although I noticed something, I would appreciate if someone could confirm. when you using the lock button next to the door handle does the car locks all doors or only the one you are locking? (to avoid confusion im talking about the button that you turn and you have one on each door next to the door handle and not the one next to the windows buttons).  

25 minutes ago, Amir_hmn2002 said:

So for the first part when I am talking about pressing the button twice, I am talking about lock button on the remote or the door handle not the mirror button.

That's clear now, but also not a big issue.  Still don't know if the automatic locking of the doors when driving away closes the mirrors.  Have you tried this?

25 minutes ago, Amir_hmn2002 said:

when you using the lock button next to the door handle does the car locks all doors or only the one you are locking?

Just tried.

In my case the lock button next to the door handle only locks that door, not all doors.  Has this something to do with the mirror folding device?

That's clear now, but also not a big issue.  Still don't know if the automatic locking of the doors when driving away closes the mirrors.  Have you tried this?

it does not close my mirrors, no. 

Just tried.

In my case the lock button next to the door handle only locks that door, not all doors.  Has this something to do with the mirror folding device?

Aw, no I just couldn't remember if it would close all doors or just the one. mine is the same as yours and no effect on the mirrors. 

7 hours ago, Amir_hmn2002 said:

Hi Max 

Did you buy yours from the same link I shared in the post? I can't remember exactly how mine was but it look hell of lot like yours. I have already installed mine so I have to put some time this week to open it up and take it out again. I am talking to the seller so that I know exactly what I need to do before opening it up. 

They did ask me to send them a picture of the device so if you bought it from the same link that would help and I can send it to them and ask for clarification.

Hi Amir, confirmed same Alibaba link and seller used.

Maybe Shada can shed some light. If more/better photos needed of the plugs and cables let me know, happy to provide. Then future forum (RHD) members can buy, cable mod and have this work as intended all in one go. I’ll try and produce a full guide once any cable mods are confirmed, including the door card removal (although from what I see an easy process anyway).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links