Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

paint chips,paint defects

This definately HAS to be raised with Lexus GB.

We need someone to send a well written email to them, with a list of names and email addresses of everyone who has this problem.

This seems to be a problem with the IS200 only, and if this is not sorted, then it could affect their sales particularly from personal buyers who might want to keep their Lexus for more than 3 years.

Admin,

Is it possible to setup a page where we could list our names and refer to it in the email?

Matt the Boss,

Do we not have enough votes to pursue this?

Hi JOHNNY- BOY

The car lives in Basingstoke.

I ordered with my credit card, and the pen arrived by good old Post Office, in a padded envelope. Cant fault the service.

On a deep scratch or chip they say it needs a number of applications but so far so good. The colour match is good, and the pen is soooooooooooooo easy to use.

Its better that using the coctail stick method. I will be reapplying this week end and will post an update next week.

Just got a major stone chip on the roof just above the windscreen and was gutted. What I found more disturbing was that it rusted within a week !

Took the car back to Lexus Aberdeen and was told that this is covered under the warranty so the car goes in next week to get the chip repaired at the Lexus approved body shop.

Just thought I'd share this info as I see some of you have had problems with other dealerships taking the stone chip problem seriously.

Originally posted by Stitcher

Just got a major stone chip on the roof just above the windscreen and was gutted. What I found more disturbing was that it rusted within a week !

Took the car back to Lexus Aberdeen and was told that this is covered under the warranty so the car goes in next week to get the chip repaired at the Lexus approved body shop.

Just thought I'd share this info as I see some of you have had problems with other dealerships taking the stone chip problem seriously.

Apparently the car is galavanised, except the roof - so it would rust pretty quick.

I think you are very fortunate to get a chip repaired under warranty - it's usually regarded as "wear & tear".

Apparently the car is galavanised, except the roof - so it would rust pretty quick.

I think you are very fortunate to get a chip repaired under warranty - it's usually regarded as "wear & tear".

Is this true about the roof, if so why. Surely they must dip / spray the whole body shell ?

I think I'm only getting it under warranty as the cars only 3 months old and the salesman's jaw hit the floor when he saw the rust !

• 3 months later...

Hi. This must be the WORST car I've ever seen for paint problems. I love my IS200 and Lexus have been fantastic about swapping the corroding alloys. But when I showed them the incredibly stonechipped bonnet they told me to call Lexus HQ. This I did and was told that they would take advice from my dealer. After calling my dealer (Reading) Lexus HQ told me that it was fair wear and tear and not covered under warranty.

My bonnet is COVERED in stone chips - mostly tiny ones but it looks awful and they go right up to the windscreen. In addition the paintwork fails to fight off ANYTHING which might cause a scratch - it is now covered in cat scratches and others which I cannot get rid of. My IS200 is sapphire blue and still 6 months within warranty.

I am livid that a car of this age has such poor paintwork, worse than cars 10 years old! I will happily support any attempt to get Lexus to rethink.

Chris Starke

My car is also a Sapphire Blue IS200 and a real pain where the paintwork is concerned. It's terrible battling to polish out scratches and trying to touch up stone chips all the time. If Lexus GB doesn't think there's an issue, maybe those of us with newer models can raise this in future JD Powers questionnaires.... :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

scarlatti red is200se

brought new sept 2002

came with :

scratch on door

rippled paint on boot lid

scuffed bumper and front wing (with badly coat of touch up)

faded paint on roof

spent week in dealers and came back with door scratched still !

although stone chip on bonnet (within 1 week and the size of half pence) was gone

and the two front scuffed wheels (my fault) now replaced with new

My 99 Aztec gold IS200 seemed to be immune from piant chips until the other day. I now have two on the leading edge of the bonnet. Both occured when I'd been driving in heavy rain recently.

I wonder if the water based paint softens a tado in really bad rain ??? this in turn makes it easily chipped ???

My only other chip on the rear wheel arch alo occurred in heavy rain..........

Just a thought :yawn:

im glad you posted in this one dave,i forgot about this post,i think we should get it active again,i see a few ppl have placed a vote now...................

but we need the voice of the masses before we can do anything,any legal beagles in here yet

i suffered from chips and got annoyed at having to keep doing touch ups, so i got an xpel kit and in 2.5 years i have had one chip on the front of the bonnet - but that went thru the xpel and the other was about a week ago and about 1/2 way up the bonnet :angry:

rob.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you tell me any more about this xpel kit, is it something I can do, or has it to be done by professionals. Also how much does it cost. My mate had his IS200 done in Supagard before he picked his car up and hasn't one stonechip in 13500 miles. I picked my IS200 Sports last Tuesday and had the same treatment, do you know if xpel would affect the Supagard treatment?

Can you tell me any more about this xpel kit, is it something I can do, or has it to be done by professionals. Also how much does it cost. My mate had his IS200 done in Supagard before he picked his car up and hasn't one stonechip in 13500 miles. I picked my IS200 Sports last Tuesday and had the same treatment, do you know if xpel would affect the Supagard treatment?

The SupaGard treatment will do nothing to prevent stone chips; your mate must just be very lucky. I think the xpel treatment is a barrier treatment, i.e. a thin clear film is stuck to the paintwork. This will not affect the SupaGard treatment. There are discounts available in the Gold section for this type of paint protection.

I was examining the bonnet of my Lexus whilst parked in the garage. I was just thinking that my 2.5 yr old IS200SE only had a small number of paint chips when a small fixture attachment to a ladder came loose and toppled onto the bonnet. I now have a small dent and will get the entire bonnet resprayed. Thats life!

I think we have a better chance of Lexus doing something if the letter (not email) comes officially from the Lexus Owners Club on letterheaded paper.

My car was new this year - I also have many chips and I do not drive close to the vehicle in front! In fact where I live, there very rarely is a vehicle in front! :P

well when we actually get some decent responses to the letter request,it will be sent on letter headed paper,would be good to find a lawyer aswell.

strange thing is,i actually think the white is a stable paint,ive only got 3 chips in over 20,000 miles and most of that was on Autobahn...so 130mph +

I think a lawer would be overkill at this stage, and I would not mention the numbers involved either - the letter should actually be pointing out something that I would be surprised if it was news to them - but coming from the owners club, and pointing out the bad PR this could generate and keeping Club members happy is a good thing....... especially as the IS is entry level and the aim for Lexus is that it builds brand loyalty and the current IS owners move up the range as they get older, tubbier and greyer ........ :P