Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Vibration In Sixth Gear Around 60mph

IS200LE, picked up new Nov 2003, and from start has had vibration in 6th GEAR ONLY at 57 - 63 mph. The vibration is just like poor wheel balance but only happens in 6th gear! Dealers (Lexus Guildford) have been very good, always providing a courtesy car, and have tried hard to find cause several times. They now have had car for a week now trying without success.

Can't tell what vibration is in sympathy with because Lexus do not quote gear ratios or back-axle ratio but seems to be 40 or 50 Hz. It is not severe but bad enough for passengers to say "what the **** that" when I put it into 6th at the speeds where it happens. Its a shame because it really spoils an otherwise great car.

Any ideas?

Best thing to do is get them to put a new set of wheels / tyres on from a courtesy car and try that, if that don't fix it possibly propshaft out of balance.

Are you sure it doesn't do it in any other gear at that speed?

i was about to say prop shaft,my tranny was lined up wrong after a new clutch,shook like mad.