Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear brakes

Georgerogs

Hi all,

I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction, after a long drive on the weekend there was a nasty grinding from the rear under braking, I figured pads although they looked ok when viewed through the wheels. Picked up new pads and discs and set about the job. Took out the top bolt of the caliper and as soon as I touched it , it fell off - sheered the support pin . I took the carrier off too and that’s a rusty mess so figured there’s no option but to replace both. No parts stores I can see sell the carrier except on eBay where I can see them for £150 for both items . I called Lexus ( just for a laugh really) and they quoted £180 for both parts!! This seems strange to me and a little on the cheap side , what do you guys think? I had a quick look at the passenger side rear too, took the top bolt out and tried to move the caliper , it took some hits with a hammer but did move although not by hand like I think it should. Maybe try to save this side with a good clean up and grease assuming I can wiggle it free without snapping it? 

I should add that although the pads looked ok through the wheels, the ones you can’t see were worn to nothing ☹️

Edited by Georgerogs
Forgot some info

Oh dear, the classic Lexus seized callipers with the slide pins that never get removed, cleaned and re-greased during a service.

Not sure if the carriers come with new slides but you need 2 on each side plus the 14mm bolts as well.

• Like 1

Thanks both. I’ll shop around . The Lexus parts department were adamant the caliper comes with the carrier and pins/bolts but I’m not sure about it as the price seems low for genuine parts . It’s an hours drive so I might pop up and have a look 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 8:18 AM, Mr Vlad said:

How did you get on?

Sorry only now replying. So I ended up getting the old caliper with the snapped bolt repaired for around £50. I cleaned up both calipers and brackets. I removed the old rubber boots from the calipers and bought new ones along with new slide pins from Lexus Parts Direct - The boots were a pig to refit and I split a couple of my spare ones along the way. Greased the hell out of the new pins and put it all back together. I also had to do the front brakes but they were in much better condition. I think I just cleaned and greased those. I noticed I was missing the clips on the rear that hold the pad pins in place so I got new ones as the pins were coming half way out which worried me a bit.  I took the opportunity to do a bit of a brake fluid flush too. Put it all back together, bled them and i'm away. No problems so far!! 

• Like 2