Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2008 Lexus IS 250 exhaust heavily rusted.

Hello people. I'm new here since i only bought my first Lexus in Dec 2021. Soon after i bought the car it needed a new rear section of the exhaust went ahead bought it put it on(reason for replacing is the tail pipe broke off of the muffler and looked odd), but I knew the cat section was looking just as bad as the rear. Now I took it to the local Lexus dealer to have the transmission oil changed and they did a visual health check as well, and straight up the mechanic pointed out that the cat section have a tiny hole (from previous weld patch), sorry if im not right but he also pointed both flange are looking terrible (from manifold pipe to 

---->cat section). My question is if the manifold bit needs (prob will) replacing as well is it expensive on the labour side, and the part as well since I cant find that bit online. I attach photos to see better. Thanks for your help. The bit you see is the one in red circle. 

Untitled.jpg

lexus cat.jpg

Hi Gary and welcome to Lexus ownership and to the best Lexus forum there is. Search the forum as there is a lot in the 2nd gen IS section regarding exhausts. Where yours have a small hole is the first time I've actually heard of. Getting a new exhaust system from Lexus and having them fit it may possibly cost as much as what you paid for your car. Have you phoned around exhaust places for prices?

I noticed you said that your local Lexus dealer did a transmission oil changed. What did they charge you? Was it gearbox oil change or rear differential oil changed?

Thanks, Vlad, I'll have a look around. Well, I had the transmission oil changed, but it wasn't that easy. 3 weeks ago I called them to see how much would it cost and she said £75, early this week called them again to actually book it in, they done it and the sales guy was walking out with the invoice showing £140.71, and I was like hang on 3 weeks ago a lady told me it will be £75 and he basically just said oooh well I'm really sorry he knows it all gets messed up blabla, and basically he was fine with the 75... So 75. :) Very interesting...

I would probably try to fix it rather than replacing it. For the age of the car it may not be economical to replace. Back section is alright, there are quire a few pattern ones for sale now and custom made is not too expensive, but the headers and downpipe part will cost fortune. Patch it if you can, or try to ask just to replace small part of the pipe. Is car low mileage?

As for gearbox fluid change - £75 will be just top-up, they will drain 1L and put 1L back, not sure if £140 was different rate, but maybe different sales people had different view of what will be enough i.e. lady offered you 1L, and the guy later 2L refill. I don't think they made mistake or you getting much better price.

Thanks Linas, 101,000 mi, yeah the cat section is online its like £360 so that will probably be replaced but the downpipe bit might not, just get a new flange welded on there or something! Regarding the oil, I mean it was simply a missunderstanding... I was told its £75 to change it, not to only replace 1L, tho on invoice there is 2L oil i dont know exactly how much it takes but it says 2L. So yeah i think whoever told me the price wasnt sure about what they doing, or because i was paying cash they might have just wanted to take my money?! Dont know! Just had a look is 1.5L drain&refill sound alright?! If so than they prob changed it rather than changed a bit. 

The gearbox holds about 8 litres of oil. Lexus Stockport did my car but only 2 litres of oil used. All the did I reckon is drop the sump put it back on and top up. They didn't even change the filter. I gave them some stick for that. £180 was the charge. If you want a Full oil change then it has to be pumped out. YouTube Launch Cat501s. Roughly £500 to do on the is250. 

As for exhaust downpipes. That looks like it can be repaired but have you considered used? 

1 hour ago, Fikamika said:

Regarding the oil, I mean it was simply a missunderstanding... I was told its £75 to change it, not to only replace 1L, tho on invoice there is 2L oil i dont know exactly how much it takes but it says 2L. So yeah i think whoever told me the price wasnt sure about what they doing, or because i was paying cash they might have just wanted to take my money?! Dont know! Just had a look is 1.5L drain&refill sound alright?! If so than they prob changed it rather than changed a bit. 

That is my point - Lexus are very hard to persuade to do "replacement", so most of the time they do "refresh". There is no way you can get ATF replaced for £75 or even £140. Only the parts alone are over £100. I would expect replacement to cost ~£280-450 depending here you do it and what parts and ATF you use. £75 for 1.5L ATF refresh is not bad deal all things considered. The A960E requires about 4L of ATF in the pan if memory serves me right and total of nearly 8L, but it is not possible to replace it all at once.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links