Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car purfume/Air fresheners

Quickly checking what everyone uses in their car to smell fresh? I have tried a couple of air fresheners but they do not work (I am sure I am not using the right ones). The other day, I took it for internal cleaning and the freshener used by the cleaner was amazing (I forgot to ask them what they used and I cannot go to them again as they are far away from me). So, I was wondering if someone can please help me with some pointers on how to keep it fresh?

4 minutes ago, Gaurav Bhandari said:

Quickly checking what everyone uses in their car to smell fresh? I have tried a couple of air fresheners but they do not work (I am sure I am not using the right ones). The other day, I took it for internal cleaning and the freshener used by the cleaner was amazing (I forgot to ask them what they used and I cannot go to them again as they are far away from me). So, I was wondering if someone can please help me with some pointers on how to keep it fresh?

For long term use I clip an Ambi Pur air freshener to the air vent by the passenger side window and leave it on the lowest setting (the vent is always open to get a flow of air over the air freshener). Generally found that keeps the car fresh but without any overpowering "perfume" or "strange other" smell of others. A refill lasts a few months (set on lowest setting). I take our dog now and again in the back - sometimes not smelling so sweet (!) and it gets rid of those odours without any problems.

• Thanks 1

Once had an air freshener in the ventilation and something happened that let the liquid out and it ruined the plastic below air-vent. Long time ago. Not in the Lexus.

Had it sprayed in the beginning of the virus situation. Could not use the car for a couple of days. Left with open windows till the smell was gone.

• Thanks 1

I use California Scents - Halfords stock them or you can get pretty decent deals on amazon / eBay. They fit into the cupholders on the armrests (if you don't use these often, as I don't). They last a decent amount of time - I open the vents on the cans about a quarter of the way and find it keeps it from being overpowering.

• Thanks 1

I also recommend  California Scents they last for months and come in various fragrances. when first opened they can be really strong but the can is adjustable as stated above. I put mine in the passenger door pocket.

• Thanks 1

I've never used an air freshener in the car. I clean the cabin surfaces with Meg's Quick interior detailer spray on a microfibre after vacuuming the carpets, perhaps once a week and then wipe the seats over with Dr Leather wipes once a month. No nasty niffs and it smells like a car! 😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

I've never used an air freshener in the car. I clean the cabin surfaces with Meg's Quick interior detailer spray on a microfibre after vacuuming the carpets, perhaps once a week and then wipe the seats over with Dr Leather wipes once a month. No nasty niffs and it smells like a car! 😎

I wonder if Meg's Quick interior detailer spray is what Lexus Edinburgh details used when i had the car serviced.. it smelled nice.  I will pick up a bottle and give it a go.
I did read somewhere that Lexus dealers go to products is Maguire's.

4 hours ago, agent_dess said:

While i do not have anything the in current car at present... i usually like Little Trees - Black Ice.

I used Little Trees (the trees), they look a bit odd dangling with their plastic wrappers, but on the way home every day I come around a certian bend and I get a waft of lavender.

Never worked out why that particular bend, but when the waft goes, I knwo it is time to break out a new Little Tree

• Haha 1

Never used air freshener in any Lexus I have had.  Periodic leather cleaning leaves the car smelling like new or close to new.  Many years ago I used a couple of expensive brands of freshener from fancy London perfume houses (Penhaligon? Floris?) whose component scents I don’t remember but whose main effect was to make me and my passengers sneeze.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been trying without success to find an article I recently saw about selling a used car.  One tip pertinent to the present thread is to remove fresheners from the cabin, especially highly visible ones of the type that dangle from the rear-view mirror. This would be in order to make fastidious prospective buyers less aware of an “unwelcoming atmosphere” in the cabin.  Sound advice, no doubt, but dependent, I would think, on how welcoming the atmosphere originally was.  

49 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

I’ve been trying without success to find an article I recently saw about selling a used car.  One tip pertinent to the present thread is to remove fresheners from the cabin, especially highly visible ones of the type that dangle from the rear-view mirror. This would be in order to make fastidious prospective buyers less aware of an “unwelcoming atmosphere” in the cabin.  Sound advice, no doubt, but dependent, I would think, on how welcoming the atmosphere originally was.  

I've heard of that before, the idea is you might be trying to disguise a smell in the car i.e. smoking etc..
Personally i would always remove the fragrance item prior to selling the car. 
Generally people don't use car fragrance cause the car smells but rather they want a nice smell inside the cabin.