Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Acoustic Vehicle Alert System 2022 Lexus NX

Hello Lexus-mates!

New member of the forum! (Very excited about that!😀)

I'm examining the possibilities of ordering either a Lexus NX 350h or NX 450h+, but what puts me off from purchasing one is the fact that some owners (both Lexus and Toyota owners) are ranting about the artificial sound to warn pedestrians, when the car is in EV-mode (the so-called AVAS). And I reckon it would be quite bothersome to constantly hear that irritating sound, during tailbacks and when driving through the neighbourhood at night. 

So my question to you (the ones that currently have the 22 NX) is if anything of the above is something that you've noticed when driving at lower speeds.

Cheers! (From Sweden)

If it’s anything like the one on my wife’s RAV-4 it is going to drive me crazy. I thought there was something wrong with the car when we first got it home and put it in reverse!

• Thanks 1

In traffic you won't be able to hear it with the windows closed. Even open other cars around you are noisier. In a quiet garage in drive a little, definitely in reverse as the volume increases. I would expect sound proofing to be similar in the NX to my ES? Doesn't bother me a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s been designed to be as loud as the engine but not louder so it is only a master of use.  I think it should be the responsibility of the pedestrian to make sure it is safe to cross not withstanding the needs of the visually impaired - is it any different for push bikes.  On late shifts I was waking my neighbour up when returning home with the ghostly wail of Christmas Present so I particularly muted it with gaffer tape.  My 2020 NX was silent so what’s good for the goose.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The_Doctor said:

If it’s anything like the one on my wife’s RAV-4 it is going to drive me crazy. I thought there was something wrong with the car when we first got it home and put it in reverse!

Just curious, doesn't your ES have the same thing too ?

(I personally love that sound tbh 🙂 )

--E

14 minutes ago, e-yes said:

Just curious, doesn't your ES have the same thing too ?

(I personally love that sound tbh 🙂 )

--E

No it doesn’t. It was one of the first ES’s into the UK so I don’t think it was fitted then. I like the silence … but understand where the need for AVAS is coming from.

I must admit, I haven’t noticed it at all. It’s certainly quiet in traffic, it’s only the buzzer from the front and rear sensors that I notice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 7:54 PM, 78csj said:

I must admit, I haven’t noticed it at all. It’s certainly quiet in traffic, it’s only the buzzer from the front and rear sensors that I notice.

Well, that is certainly reassuring. But what's more concerning are the waiting times; the local dealership stated a 1 year waiting time for the 350h and 10 months for the 450h+. Wondering if the Miyata plant will revert back to its full capacity soon (hopefully the chip-shortage will be resolved).

A neighbour a few doors down has a UX and you can hear it plainly at my house but this new NX has turned out to be pleasantly quiet and gradually comes on at low speed.  I literally can’t hear it with the windows up.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I purchased a 2021 rx450h upgrading from a 2020 model which was my biggest mistake to date I genuinely thought that there was a problem with the vehicle the neighbours also turned to look when I reversed of the driveway not in envy at my new car but at the awful screeching noise it emitted I immediately sold the car as not what I expected from a luxury model why won't Lexus listen to the feedback 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Ex lexus owner said:

I purchased a 2021 rx450h upgrading from a 2020 model which was my biggest mistake to date I genuinely thought that there was a problem with the vehicle the neighbours also turned to look when I reversed of the driveway not in envy at my new car but at the awful screeching noise it emitted I immediately sold the car as not what I expected from a luxury model why won't Lexus listen to the feedback 

I know what you mean, we have a RAV4 as well and I thought there was something wrong with it when we got it home, it sounded like a grating noise especially in reverse (which is louder than when driving forwards). I can hear it coming home when it is some distance away and it can be heard quite distinctively when driving the car too. Subjectively the NX is nowhere near as loud although perhaps that's because the sound deadening is better.

For those of a more technical persuasion the requirements for quieter vehicles to be equipped with the so-called "Acoustic vehicle alerting system" (AVAS) is found in UN Regulation 138. This sets sound levels and also requires that the device cannot be turned off by the driver! As manufacturers are required to fit these devices by law there is not much Lexus or anyone can do about that, although I agree the sound could be more pleasant!

So as per Don's experience too maybe it has been "improved" in the NX.

Noticed it at first on the UXe but you get used to it and wont be able to tell its even there after a few weeks.

I genuinely think people are over reacting. You wont hear it over a certain speed anyway as it automatically turns off

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rayaans said:

Noticed it at first on the UXe but you get used to it and wont be able to tell its even there after a few weeks.

I genuinely think people are over reacting. You wont hear it over a certain speed anyway as it automatically turns off

Mine is barely audible on my NX 450h.

21 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

Could the connector to the noisemaker mysteriously fall off?

I thought the same, but I don’t know how accessible it is, and also if it is legal to disconnect it.

It is a legal requirement to have AVAS fitted and operational on vehicles from 2019. The regulation does allow for the system to be 'paused' but the default is always 'On'

https://www.motoringelectric.com/driving/what-is-avas-acoustic-vehicle-alert-system/

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/eur/2017/1576/annex/paragraph/1

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32017R1576&qid=1514091431330

When I test drove a Kia e-Niro the pedestrian alert sounded like someone on a train playing music loudly on headphones: that annoying faint tinny almost musical sound. At first I thought there was a car behind me with the radio on loud but then I realised there was nothing behind me. Fortunately you could turn it off and just look out for people about to step out in front of you.

3 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

It is a legal requirement to have AVAS fitted and operational on vehicles from 2019. The regulation does allow for the system to be 'paused' but the default is always 'On'

https://www.motoringelectric.com/driving/what-is-avas-acoustic-vehicle-alert-system/

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/eur/2017/1576/annex/paragraph/1

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32017R1576&qid=1514091431330

The EU legislation does allow for it to be "paused" but Reg 138 (which is more widely applicable) does not. I will have to check with a colleague but I think the UN Reg may have superseded the EU one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, N GJ said:

I thought the same, but I don’t know how accessible it is, and also if it is legal to disconnect it.

Very easy to disconnect but obviously illegal to do so, plus fault code appears on dash if so important why is it not made retrospective on earlier models? 

3 hours ago, Ex lexus owner said:

Very easy to disconnect but obviously illegal to do so, plus fault code appears on dash if so important why is it not made retrospective on earlier models? 

One could ask the same of many newer requirements but how would one enforce it? Even the so called 'diesel-gate' update can't be done without the owner's agreement (unless done without knowledge!)

Not sure how effective the AVAS is on my NX350h. On more than few occasions I have had to slow the car to a crawl behind pedestrians walking in the middle of the road in car parks who are blissfully unaware that I am behind them.

I don't like to honk the horn and startle them (I am a Lexus owner after all 😀) so have to rely on them eventually noticing me and letting me pass.

• Like 3

When driving slowly on narrow streets that rarely have cars driving round and pedestrians walk just in front of me I would like to have a little noise telling that a car is coming. Do not want to honk the horn to frighten people, but a little noise like the sound of an engine would be just fine. I have not heard the sounds of the cars mentioned here as I mostly am inside a car but I think it is a good idea to have a little noise to tell that a car is approaching.

With windows closed I doubt that the noise will disturb people inside the car.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I took a day trip to Bournemouth on Saturday and used one of the multistory cars parks. As we were unloading the car we could hear this anoying tinny warbling noise resonating through the entire car park.  It was a Lexus (UX I think) reversing into a bay.   Looking around at least five other familes were all LOOKING at this car and I am sure it was not in admiration of the AVAS tunes. 

I will admit this is the first time I have really noticed the Lexus AVAS in action, but I really,  REALLY hope my new NX does not attract this kind of attention for this reason. It was an awfull cringe worthy sound.

I believe the main 'driver' for this is to assist partially sighted/blind people so they are alerted to cars which are not using an engine.

But the debate got me thinking, maybe it could be driver programmed - I'd like the sound of an ice cream vans chimes

Any other suggestions?