Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Acoustic Vehicle Alert System 2022 Lexus NX

9 minutes ago, Alan Thompson said:

I believe the main 'driver' for this is to assist partially sighted/blind people so they are alerted to cars which are not using an engine.

But the debate got me thinking, maybe it could be driver programmed - I'd like the sound of an ice cream vans chimes

Any other suggestions?

Guns and Cannons from 1812 Overture !

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Hillie said:

Richard Wagner - Ride of The Valkyries

another

Base drums should get people's attention.....

I had this as a ring tone on my phone to let me know when the other half was calling.

I have had an NX450H for 4 months now and I honestly didn't know it has AVAS ,can't hear anything at all from inside and outside unless I have suddenly gone deaf? 

• Like 2

My RX has this, and you can’t hear it at all when inside the car.

A neighbour has a RAV4 and another a Jaguar iPace, and both make a noise when at low speeds but it’s hardly something to get excited about!

This strikes me as a ‘first world’ problem - and one that isn’t really a problem at all! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pm4 said:

I have had an NX450H for 4 months now and I honestly didn't know it has AVAS ,can't hear anything at all from inside and outside unless I have suddenly gone deaf? 

Even in reverse? It's much louder then.

• Like 1

I have just got my NX450h+ and I haven't noticed any noise from it apart for the slight hum of the heat pump when the AC is on, but that is also very quite and not audible inside the car.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

In reverse it beeps if there is an obstacle and e eventually brakes automatically , if I don't , with a louder sound and a red screen warning. (Same for front obstacles) 

47 minutes ago, Pm4 said:

In reverse it beeps if there is an obstacle and e eventually brakes automatically , if I don't , with a louder sound and a red screen warning. (Same for front obstacles) 

That description is more like the parking sensors operation 

Haven't noticed any strange noises even in reverse. The first time I drove the car I ran over a pigeon because it didn't hear me coming!

On 8/2/2022 at 7:40 AM, RXtoNX said:

No noise when manoeuvring on the driveway on the NX we had delivered yesterday other than the chimes from the parking sensors.

Sounds like a recall is coming then as it is a legal requirement for new BEVs and hybrids to have an Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Sounds like a recall is coming then as it is a legal requirement for new BEVs and hybrids to have an Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System.

If the car has auto brake back and front, the audible sound may not be necessary? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pm4 said:

If the car has auto brake back and front, the audible sound may not be necessary? 

I don't believe so, as that is deemed a "driver aid" 

AVAS is designed to alert vulnerable road users in the 'hazard zone' about an approaching vehicle.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/eur/2017/1576/annex/paragraph/1

On 7/31/2022 at 8:18 PM, ColinBarber said:

Have to be honest, I’ve never noticed from inside the car. That said, I usually have music playing…hard to hear anything over legendary sounds from Lloyd Cole, or Billy Bragg, or Elvis Costello, or The The…or Steps, S Club, Taylor Swift, Scooch…😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...
On 3/10/2022 at 7:46 AM, Don C said:

It’s been designed to be as loud as the engine but not louder so it is only a master of use.  I think it should be the responsibility of the pedestrian to make sure it is safe to cross not withstanding the needs of the visually impaired - is it any different for push bikes.  On late shifts I was waking my neighbour up when returning home with the ghostly wail of Christmas Present so I particularly muted it with gaffer tape.  My 2020 NX was silent so what’s good for the goose.  

Don C - I have the 2023 Lexus NX250h and the AVAS is driving me crazy!  I can hear it with the windows closed and the radio on!!  I don't want to disconnect it, but would love to muffle the sound some.  Where is it located?  Thanks!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Amy ML said:

Don C - I have the 2023 Lexus NX250h and the AVAS is driving me crazy!  I can hear it with the windows closed and the radio on!!  I don't want to disconnect it, but would love to muffle the sound some.  Where is it located?  Thanks!

Hello Amy,

Hopefully these pictures will help you locate the speaker device. It's in the right lower corner of the grille.

Regards,
Neo

Skärmbild 2023-03-25 194815.png

Skärmbild 2023-03-25 194558.png

• Like 2