Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450H SE-I CVT - 2010 - Thinking of buying

I'm not sure there is too much to look out for, other than the normal things with any vehicle. The RX450h is very reliable. Power tailgate can cause problems so definitely check that a couple of times. Air suspension is probably worth avoiding at that age but an SE-I won't have that anyway.

Don't know if you will get the opportunity to check underneath but they can rust, particularly if used near the coast.  Hopefully, you should be OK with 2010 model and take preventative measurers, as replacing sub frames can be expensive as some members have found.

The small, 12v Battery condition might be worth checking if it's gone for periods of time without use? When I had mine replaced last year it was around £238 at a main dealer. Aftermarket options are limited with it.

The hybrid Battery doesn't usually cause any issue, but it would be worth getting it put through a health check at a Lexus dealer once a year for peace of mind, even if services and other work happen elsewhere. They is a charge for this check, but I believe they will then offer a warranty on the Battery up to 15 years old. More here: https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/hybrid-health-check/

With low mileage it could have tyres with plenty of tread but they'll be quite old. It'd be nice to see a set of relatively recent tyres, ideally matching front and rear. All-season tyres suit the RX well, budget on around £600-700 for a full set if they're needed. I recently did that on mine and I hadn't realised how much the noise and ride quality had deteriorated with the old ones, it was a change well worth making.

My 2014 example has a slight squeak from the front brakes, doesn't affect anything but a shame when the rest of the is so quiet. They say it's because of slight lipping on the disc edge.

On my first RX I found some damage underside, with the expensive exhaust system dented and plastic trays held on with cable ties, and that was an approved car at a main dealer. These cars aren't really off-roaders, but it seems the previous owner of this one thought it was......

19 hours ago, Jules Petrolhead said:

Hi guys, I've seen a RX450H advertised at our local auction house - 2010 - low miles.   

Any advice of any known issues of one of these of this age?  - What do i need to check out bearing in mind will have no info.

Thanks

1 DVLA history check 

2 Ask your lexus dealer for history check 

3 Shocks, front bushes trailing arms 

4 Tyres, Douglas Costco for Michelin offers 

5 gas struts - SGS Derby. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on the hunt for a used RX450h around 2010/11/12 as low mileage as possible. There's a trader in S London Elite Motors who always has a good selection of nice looking RX's. The reviews however seem very mixed. Has anyone on this group had any experience of buying from them? I'd appreciate any guidance in this area. I'm in East Sussex.

Thanks in advance

On 3/10/2022 at 1:02 PM, Jules Petrolhead said:

Hi guys, I've seen a RX450H advertised at our local auction house - 2010 - low miles.   

Any advice of any known issues of one of these of this age?  - What do i need to check out bearing in mind will have no info.

Thanks

Did you buy or did you pass?

Be interesting to know your reflections on your new purchase if you did buy...

On 4/1/2022 at 7:59 PM, Tezza 2 said:

I'm on the hunt for a used RX450h around 2010/11/12 as low mileage as possible. There's a trader in S London Elite Motors who always has a good selection of nice looking RX's. The reviews however seem very mixed. Has anyone on this group had any experience of buying from them? I'd appreciate any guidance in this area. I'm in East Sussex.

Thanks in advance

I  take it that is Elite Motors of Croydon (Norwood).  Don't know them but looking at their web site it seems they have more used RX models than some Lexus franchised dealers.  (Wondered where so many RX were going). They certainly look good but do scrub up well.  Worth a look.

• Like 1

Supplementary question, which of the models around 2010 have the air suspension, which I gather should be avoided?

Is it just the Premier or do others have it?  Is there a place I can look up all this stuff, Parkers don't mention it.

Thanks

46 minutes ago, Tezza 2 said:

Supplementary question, which of the models around 2010 have the air suspension, which I gather should be avoided?

Is it just the Premier or do others have it?  Is there a place I can look up all this stuff, Parkers don't mention it.

Thanks

First page of this RX forum - there's a sticky post of the different variants and the equipment they have.

Thanks for that 

Thanks

45 minutes ago, Tezza 2 said:

Thanks for that 

Thanks

Se-L has the air suspension as well, I had one from 2011

On 4/2/2022 at 10:17 AM, PCM said:

Did you buy or did you pass?

Be interesting to know your reflections on your new purchase if you did buy...

It went for what i think was a cheap price, around £10,700 i think.   Hubby wasn't brave enough to go for it as unable to drive it or see it driven and we have no knowledge of hybrids.   Looked lovely.   Ended up buying a Touareg instead.

• Like 2