Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shell Optimax extra HP?

Fx_Donkey

Hi All - I saw a 5th gear program below showing the difference shell Optimax premium fuel gives you over standard fuel.

They put all the car on a Dyno to measure the HP change. I was wondering if anyone here notices any difference in there Is250 between 95ron fuel and shell Optimax super premium fuel?

https://youtu.be/D5w1-d0GeVk

Thanks.

Doubtful if any extra power is gained,  but the car certainly feels slightly better. Almost like it has a few extra lbs/ft of torque.

Sharper throttle response, smoother acceleration plus slightly better economy are what I notice compared to E10 petrol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even from performance mods like air filters they say there is 20bhp or so increase,

Truth is, i never noticed any difference, being honest

So likely to tell with a change of fuel, definitely not

If air filter let more air in they can give more power. They will then also let more unwanted particles in and in the long run that will not be good. No air filter is best for power and the guys that repair the engines. 😇

Use Shell V-max-power or whatever it is called the 98 octane. Do not believe the car get more power, but run more silent, start the engine more silent with less vibrations.

Maybe.

When Lexus tell us to use at least some octane, some oil, some filter, that probably is good for the engine.

Lexus / Toyota wiper blades are not making noise like Bosch Airo Twin. The original are silent. And they are horribly expensive.

when I recently changed to E5 .  99 octane from E10  97   I felt some sort of indeterminable slight change and feel to my motoring experience .......  twas a bit odd BUT slightly noticeable for sure

Malc

• Thanks 1

100% not. That is not to say octane boosters doesn't work, but octane boosters are not power boosters. Same for all other additives, they do their thing, but they simply can't make more power. Well... kind of...

So say IS250 makes 208hp at the crank when new, you can put anything you like in your tank, it won't even make more power than 208hp. However over the time engine may be covered in carbon deposits or not working to it's best and it may be making 190hp. What using various additives can do, it could help to get some of that power back, so say maybe 195hp. So what testing by 5th gear showed was that - they measured increased power, from base line before, but not increased power over original spec. In short additives sort of adds power back if your engine is tired and does not run at it's full potential, but they won't add power over and above factory specification. And finally, they can't bring back all the power, simply because if you have wear and tear on the engine additive can't restore the metal, or clean the carbon from intake valves etc. 

All in all, waste of money on properly working engine... and if engine is not properly working... still waste of money, better save it for maintenance or new car one day. 

• Like 1

I've not noticed any difference in performance since using E5 super fuel. Even though I use an octane boost additive which is also a fuel system cleaner (I've been using this product for over 20 years in both diesel and petrol cars). As Linas put very well indeed that just because fifth gear noticed a difference using supreme petrol 99% won't. Oh I use Millers Oils petrol power eco max, the diesel variant definitely increases economy in diesel cars.

• Thanks 1