Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

On Thursday, I set off from Wirral to drive to Bovington in Dorset, via Fritwell in Oxfordshire. We were to stay overnight with my Brother-in Law and en-route I noticed that the voice had ceased on the Satmap Nav. No problem as I am familiar with the route, but I was a little surprised. During the evening I checked things out but could not trace anything wrong with the settings.

The next day I set up the system for the unfamiliar drive to Bovington ( I had only been once previously).Whilst I was clued up with the main towns, I had no idea about positions on the roads which I needed to make to smooth out the travel through them. So with the system set up all I needed was for it to work !

Thank goodness for Mrs Roy. It poured down with rain and as usual many motorists were driving in poor conditions without turning their lights on.Will they never learn ? At first she "read" the map in the dashboard and advised me. The last time we had travelled down we had enjoyed lunch in the Waterloo Inn at Lyndhurst in the New Forest, slo we headed for Lyndhurst. Sure enough we found the town but sadly,not the Inn. Then Mrs Roy had what I called a "Herbie" moment and remembered that she had an I-phone.She found the app and suddenlyeverything that Herbie had been proclaiming came true in an instant. The inn was two miles away, behind us and would be just 4.7869 minutes away. The app easily outclassed the standard in built sat nav. Herbie for PM !

Over lunch I consulted the Handbook.Mrs Roy googled for advice and in both cases the sat nav in the car had been set up correctly. I checked that all other voice outputs were working correctly, and they were. I thought about calling into Lexus Poole to see if they could help as Members had often praised their services. So, I did.They were excellent.Dave was outstanding. The Chief Technician also.........but they could not solve the problem !  

Relax will not help, the new 15 year old/150,000 miles warranty will not help.  Thank goodness for my Lexus Extended Warranty which expires at the end of  August which includes multimedia systems.

I am booked into Lexus Chester next week, so I will update you in due course.. Has anyone on this Forum had a similar problem ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Interesting.

Last week Cynthia (the name of the lady living in my satnav) had a sulk and wouldn’t talk to me. Couldn’t find anything wrong. Stopped for petrol and she woke up and started giving me directions for the last mile to my house, just in case I had forgotten.  

In my case I think just a turn the car off and on cleared it.

Obviously this hasn’t worked for you.  Does the radio still work, it’s not the amp?

Good Luck with Chester. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Interesting.

Last week Cynthia (the name of the lady living in my satnav) had a sulk and wouldn’t talk to me. Couldn’t find anything wrong. Stopped for petrol and she woke up and started giving me directions for the last mile to my house, just in case I had forgotten.  

In my case I think just a turn the car off and on cleared it.

Obviously this hasn’t worked for you.  Does the radio still work, it’s not the amp?

Good Luck with Chester. 

Thanks Paul.All other audio inputs are working.I`ll see what Tom makes of it at Chester.

9 hours ago, Zotto said:

Are your maps updated? Mabe you were in a new route not registered in map...

No Luigi, they are the original 2010 maps containing routes which are well established. I suspect an error on the soundtrack.I will report back.

So John, you should have the original dvd with maps. An option is trying to reset the system and charging maps from dvd, or a newer one. Reset keeping the knob for 10 seconds.  With total reset you will have to  set all your personal data and adio choices , so consider to spend some time.

Well John, at least you still have maps displaying, in my 'little incident' everything disappeared!

Hopefully all will be resolved with little inconvenience (and no cost)  🤞

looks like google maps ( or whatever ) on your phone could be the simplest, most effective and constantly up-to-date and FREE " sat nav " going forwards ?

Malc

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Lexus Chester is closed on a Sunday Mince.

I do not see any need for a stern word.

My apologies John - I meant have you had a stern word with your car yet?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Maybe it’s a “Cyber Attack” to create navigational confusion in advance of all the road signs being taken down.

I think that's something worth investigating!

21 hours ago, Mincey said:

to create navigational confusion in advance of all the road signs being taken down.

Cap'n Mannering please step forwards !

Malc

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2022 at 8:54 AM, NemesisUK said:

Well John, at least you still have maps displaying, in my 'little incident' everything disappeared!

Hopefully all will be resolved with little inconvenience (and no cost)  🤞

I've had this a few times. 

Whole system throws a wobbler if it can't read the maps DVD correctly.

6 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Was there a solution found Steve ?

Cleaned the DVD and it worked again. 

Sometimes when something went really wrong reading it, whole centre console died. All the controls worked but nothing on the screen even when trying to access AC e.t.c.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good God - reading this thread makes me think I will stick with my pile of OS maps on back seat and a head turn every now and again to check the OS.🤣

Only times I have ever got truely lost is when relying on Sat Nav (inbuilt) or relying too much on Google (which is better, but too much for an old g*t like me).

I would add (in support of LS400 satnav) it did a better job of getting me to Cadbury World then my brain, but that was a one off IMHO

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 9:29 AM, Malc said:

like google maps ( or whatever ) on your phone could be the simplest

Well, I'm not too sure about this now ......  my Iphone 6 .  being an old and ancient one just stopped Google map working at a most inconvenient time the other day when i was traversing Chelmsford . not sure why but guessing my " old " technology phone just wouldn't update itself 

Malc

I still carry a map "just in cases" but I use a TomTom. I have found Google maps difficult to use for some reason. Google maps are very useful for showing busy / closed roads though. Perhaps I should persevere!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Malc said:

Well, I'm not too sure about this now ......  my IPhone 6 .  being an old and ancient one just stopped Google map working at a most inconvenient time the other day when i was traversing Chelmsford . not sure why but guessing my " old " technology phone just wouldn't update itself 

Malc

First thing I would have done would be to pull over and reboot both phone and car. It could have just been a transitory thing that a reboot would sort out.

If not, I'd be more likely to blame the phone rather than Google Maps. It's well known and publicly admitted by apple that they intentionally cripple their devices when they reach a certain age, in order to get you to buy a new one.

A third possibility and perhaps the most likely scenario is that I'm sure I remember reading something a few months ago about a problem between iPhones and Google Maps, but I can't remember any details. If I find the article I'll post it. In the meantime, give Waze a try - it's brilliant.

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I still carry a map "just in cases" but I use a TomTom. I have found Google maps difficult to use for some reason. Google maps are very useful for showing busy / closed roads though. Perhaps I should persevere!  

I have a TomTom GO Live 1005 but I've not used it for years. Google Maps and/or Waze are just SO good in every way, they beat everything else hands down.

I had to go over to Manchester a few days ago so I got in the car, fired up Waze, clicked on the microphone icon and just spoke the postcode. I didn't even say, "Navigate to..." or anything else, just said, "M33 4AA" and Waze immediately answered with, "Right. M33 4AA. Let's go". And that was it - I was being directed within seconds.

You really should persevere but maybe try Waze instead of Google Maps?

Thank you ...  I'll try Waze BUT I do know my old phone could be the issue .  it serves me well for almost all my daily needs ..........  no point spending as much on a new phone as the car is worth ..........  my partner is usally with me on strange trips but that time she wasn't AND her phone is summat like Iphone 10 ?  maybe and full of all bells and whistles workings too ...  bit too teccy for me all this stuff tbh :wink3:

Malc

20 hours ago, Herbie said:

First thing I would have done would be to pull over and reboot both phone and car. It could have just been a transitory thing that a reboot would sort out.

If not, I'd be more likely to blame the phone rather than Google Maps. It's well known and publicly admitted by Apple that they intentionally cripple their devices when they reach a certain age, in order to get you to buy a new one.

A third possibility and perhaps the most likely scenario is that I'm sure I remember reading something a few months ago about a problem between iPhones and Google Maps, but I can't remember any details. If I find the article I'll post it. In the meantime, give Waze a try - it's brilliant.

Both apple and MS have been caught trying to sabotage Google products on more than one occasion.

MS made hotmail not work with Chrome at one point, they proved it was deliberate from MS by simply having Chrome send the identifier saying it was IE or Firefox and it mysteriously worked.
Several things 'not working' right on Google maps after apple Maps came out as well, until they admitted it was really poor by comparison.

• Like 1