Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX 450h+ electric and petrol range

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has any real life data on the NX 450h+ electric range and total range.

I have an Audi A3 etron which depending on temperature will go 12-20 miles on Battery (official range is 29) and can travel just over 400 miles.  Ideally I'd like a genuine 30+ mile electric range and 500+ miles in total.

Thanks

Dave

When I filled up with fuel just after I took delivery on 1/3/2022, the range indicated (from memory) 529.

Although I've not taken enough notice to measure exactly, the indicated electric range does seem to be accurate. If I have air con on then it usually indicates 38 miles on a full charge, but on warmer days - yes we've had one or two in Yorkshire this week, then it shows 42 or 43 range, which is what I've achieved give or take a mile.

It will also depend on terrain.

Hope that's useful.

• Like 3

Thanks Alan, that's really useful.

I do mostly short local trips with an occasional but regular long drive (which stops me getting a full EV).   It would be great to tackle all the local stuff on electric.

One thing to caution against is a heavy right foot!

I sometimes get caught out trying to join traffic from a junction where I squeeze too hard and the engine kicks in to help.

Something to bear in mind as on cold mornings the engine will run for a while before you are back to electric.

I'm sure I'll get used to it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I actually achieved a total distance of 51 miles in 100 % ev mode with a fully charged Battery yesterday in my 450h+. Half of the journey was on a motorway travelling at 60/70mph. Impressive.

• Like 2

Impressive. I charged mine when it arrived and it said 40 miles range, 36 with AC, but I drove it until EV mode expired and think it was about 48 miles. No motorway driving but did include some higher speeds and acceleration.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to update - I have now covered over 2300 miles and refilled the tank today for only the second time having received a full tank on delivery and one subsequent top up. Latest brim to brim calculation comes out at 137.71mpg. When I take into account the total KwH added and convert the cost of this into gallons of fuel the overall consumption from day 1 comes to 86.46mpg which I think is great as this is more than double the figure I achieved on my NX300H. I expect that this overall consumption to improve over the summer months.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Just to update - I have now covered over 2300 miles and refilled the tank today for only the second time having received a full tank on delivery and one subsequent top up. Latest brim to brim calculation comes out at 137.71mpg. When I take into account the total KwH added and convert the cost of this into gallons of fuel the overall consumption from day 1 comes to 86.46mpg which I think is great as this is more than double the figure I achieved on my NX300H. I expect that this overall consumption to improve over the summer months.

Great stats Ken. Thank you. Gives me something to aim for when I eventually pick up my car. Suspect I won't get near this initially as one of my early drives will be a long run around the country to visit family.

• Like 1

I've had my 450h+ for about two weeks and most of my journeys are short around town driving.  Filled the tank up on day 1 and it shows 535 miles on fuel and 47 miles EV range.  I've driven over 500 miles since collection and so far I've used 22 miles of fuel and all of the rest has been on EV.  I'm regularly getting close to 47 miles range and my miles per kw/h is now up to 2.6.  The car is incredible on EV if you are a sensible driver and use it at the "sweet spot" speeds.  Obviously as soon as you start getting 65+mph the EV range drops away a bit.  I haven't yet put a Type2 EV Charger in place so I'm charging from good old 240V mains 3-pin plug which usually takes around 5.5 hrs.  Value wise, I reckon a full charge costs around £3.20 with my electric being costed at 17.66p per kw/h.  When the electric market finally sorts itself out and I'm able to swap suppliers I'm going to move to a specific EV tariff which will mean that if I charge it overnight, it will cost around 65p.  It may be an expensive car to buy outright but if your usage case is correct with the style of motoring you do the savings will be enormous.  I would finally add that its a quite incredible car to drive so for any of you waiting on your 450h+ deliveries, trust me, it will be worth it.  Hope this helps.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Marc Jolly said:

I've had my 450h+ for about two weeks and most of my journeys are short around town driving.  Filled the tank up on day 1 and it shows 535 miles on fuel and 47 miles EV range.  I've driven over 500 miles since collection and so far I've used 22 miles of fuel and all of the rest has been on EV.  I'm regularly getting close to 47 miles range and my miles per kw/h is now up to 2.6.  The car is incredible on EV if you are a sensible driver and use it at the "sweet spot" speeds.  Obviously as soon as you start getting 65+mph the EV range drops away a bit.  I haven't yet put a Type2 EV Charger in place so I'm charging from good old 240V mains 3-pin plug which usually takes around 5.5 hrs.  Value wise, I reckon a full charge costs around £3.20 with my electric being costed at 17.66p per kw/h.  When the electric market finally sorts itself out and I'm able to swap suppliers I'm going to move to a specific EV tariff which will mean that if I charge it overnight, it will cost around 65p.  It may be an expensive car to buy outright but if your usage case is correct with the style of motoring you do the savings will be enormous.  I would finally add that its a quite incredible car to drive so for any of you waiting on your 450h+ deliveries, trust me, it will be worth it.  Hope this helps.

Marc

Don't forget when the Battery is 'empty' ie: no miles of EV range left, there's still around 30% (~5.5Kw/h) left so you are only charging 70% (~12.6Kw/h) to full.

• Like 3

I've had mine about 6 weeks / 3000 miles now and the indicated EV range is slowly creeping up with 53 miles on the last charge. I'm not sure if that's it learning my driving style or the Battery characteristics, or the warm weather or some combination! Impressive regardless. The most I've got in on a charge when the "EV" part is "empty" is around 15.5 kWh. If the Alfen charger is to be believed!

5 hours ago, Alan Thompson said:

Don't forget when the battery is 'empty' ie: no miles of EV range left, there's still around 30% (~5.5Kw/h) left so you are only charging 70% (~12.6Kw/h) to full.

Also don't forget that charging efficiency is not 100% so to charge the Battery with 12.6kWh will actually consume more electricity, typically 12-15%.

47 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Also don't forget that charging efficiency is not 100% so to charge the battery with 12.6kWh will actually consume more electricity, typically 12-15%.

that's probably why the doctor got a figure of 15.5kwh. 

i don't have a smart charger, mines 'dumb' as I had it fitted in 2018, so I'm doing my calculations on the back of a fag packet!!  🤣

8 hours ago, Alan Thompson said:

that's probably why the doctor got a figure of 15.5kwh. 

i don't have a smart charger, mines 'dumb' as I had it fitted in 2018, so I'm doing my calculations on the back of a fag packet!!  🤣

The most charge that I have had indicated is 14.93KwH.

17 hours ago, Alan Thompson said:

Marc

Don't forget when the battery is 'empty' ie: no miles of EV range left, there's still around 30% (~5.5Kw/h) left so you are only charging 70% (~12.6Kw/h) to full.

Of course, I hadn't though of the fact that you don't fully drain but leave partial Battery for HV.  That actually makes the cost case even more compelling!  Thanks for pointing out.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have added a further 900 miles over the past three weeks which includes a number of longer journeys. Indeed did a round trip of 360 miles today which was principally on Motorways. After todays refuelling I can report 81.98mpg, which is well below my previous figure but relates to these longer journeys using the ICE. When electrical charging cost on the period is converted to a petrol cost the overall mpg works out at a reasonable 60.47mpg. 

One point I have noted is that the petrol fuel gauge is pessimistic in that it showed one sector, HV showed 0 miles but there was still 4 gallons in the tank!

Our NX did arrive at the dealership yesterday so looking  forward to testing fuel consumption during Aug, during which we will be completing at least 2 long range 500 mile return trips.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

Our NX did arrive at the dealership yesterday so looking  forward to testing fuel consumption during Aug, during which we will be completing at least 2 long range 500 mile return trips.

Hope you enjoy the car Paul and keep us all updated on how it goes. I hope to pick my 450h+ in September and then straight into some long runs with plenty of motorway so I'm not expecting great consumption until I settle into the daily commute, which I hope will all be on electric.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 8:24 AM, Ken R said:

I actually achieved a total distance of 51 miles in 100 % ev mode with a fully charged battery yesterday in my 450h+. Half of the journey was on a motorway travelling at 60/70mph. Impressive.

51 is very very impressive in pure EV, if i get this on my commute which is mainly a /b roads at 40mph I will be happy.. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you get more electric milage in warm weather, is that because it can increase the capacity of the Battery or because the consumption is lower? Or both?

Also a strange thing is that I travel to London quite regularly, on the way there I just get there all in electric (about 49 miles) but on the return journeys I am always about 5/6 miles short. Any ideas why ?

3 hours ago, Pm4 said:

If you get more electric milage in warm weather, is that because it can increase the capacity of the battery or because the consumption is lower? Or both?

Also a strange thing is that I travel to London quite regularly, on the way there I just get there all in electric (about 49 miles) but on the return journeys I am always about 5/6 miles short. Any ideas why ?

London is about 11m above sea level and, depending on where you are, Hampshire is anywhere between 0m and 297m above sea level. Could it be as simple as your run to London is downhill on average whereas your run home is uphill?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

London is about 11m above sea level and, depending on where you are, Hampshire is anywhere between 0m and 297m above sea level. Could it be as simple as your run to London is downhill on average whereas your run home is uphill?

Great answer, I live in Hampshire at 128 m above sea level, thanks. 

Also take into account wind direction and speed. In Hampshire the prevailing winds are south westerly so, in general, the wind will be behind you going to London and against you going back to Hampshire.

• Thanks 1

Gradient has a big effect, I have attached a graph.

On a 20km gently rolling section of the A46 there is a drop of 100m, so an average gradient of 1:200.

In my GS450h on cruise I do 42mpg uphill and 59.5mpg downhill, a difference of 30 or 42%depending how calculated.

looking at graph a 1:200 gradient increases or decreases consumption in a midsize hybrid sedan by about 15%, so for a pair of up/down journeys that matches with my figures.

DBC107FC-4ECA-4176-9F15-40B2FC30417A.jpeg

1 hour ago, malcolmw said:

Also take into account wind direction and speed. In Hampshire the prevailing winds are south westerly so, in general, the wind will be behind you going to London and against you going back to Hampshire.

Another good reason, thanks!

5 minutes ago, bigglesfllesundone said:

Gradient has a big effect, I have attached a graph.

On a 20km gently rolling section of the A46 there is a drop of 100m, so an average gradient of 1:200.

In my GS450h on cruise I do 42mpg uphill and 59.5mpg downhill, a difference of 30 or 42%depending how calculated.

looking at graph a 1:200 gradient increases or decreases consumption in a midsize hybrid sedan by about 15%, so for a pair of up/down journeys that matches with my figures.

DBC107FC-4ECA-4176-9F15-40B2FC30417A.jpeg

Yes, although I was under the impression that electric cars are less sensitive about gradients but thanks for the tech chart, very insightful.