Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Condensation in headlights

This isn't a fix for the problem as to fix it means taking the bumper off and headlight out. My nearside had a helluva lot of thick condensation and I was flummoxed how it got there. Lots on YouTube but one idea came from one of the videos. 

So what I did was to take off the engine covers. Take off the washer bottle pipe and remove the sidelight bulb and main beam bulb.

Now the washer pipe is just the right size. With a hairdryer and about 45 minutes I got rid of about 95% of the condensation. I also had some bendy plastic pipe, you know those cheap pumps to pump from a container to wherever, the hand operated squeeze type. Well I cut one down to about 10 inch with 2 inches of it being solid tube and the rest flexy. Put the flex part of thin tube into the washer tube, bottom of it. I used masking tape to join them together. 

Place solid part through the hole where the sidelight bulb goes all the way then with the hairdryer point it through the fill part of the tube. I cut a 45° on the solid tube end.

So after about 45 minutes even stopping now and then to get comfy and pointing the hairdryer on high heat on the outside of the headlight right over the thick parts of condensation. 

This isn't a cure but it'll stay much much clearer for quite a while.

• Like 1

Yes Malc that's why I said this isn't a cure. I'll be investigating sometime in the summer. The condensation looked absolutely awful and detracted from the good looks of the car.

• Like 1

Yeah as Malc said - this is temporary solution. I suspect one of the covers were not properly closed (could be ones on the bottom, which would required taking lights out to inspect). 

I had mine removed as I was polishing them, but I may have to do it again... I have dried them, made sure they sealed, but I have some water staining inside which looks kind of horrid. 

Well my nearside headlight definitely has some failed sealant. The condensation this morning at 4.30am was worst yet. Am in two minds now to either get a used unit or reseal my existing one but neither won't get done till I'm off in the summer. 

I'm the 2nd owner of this car and I'm on no doubt the previous owner had at least 2 frontal collisions. My nearside headlight looks much newer than the offside. The chrome is much shiny. And the offside fog light has scorring on it. 

This is the only car I've experienced headlight condensation. Suppose it had to happen. 

You are right - most likely had accident and who ever done the repair didn't properly replace the damaged parts or at very least did no seal the "glass" properly. It isn't normal for headlights on Lexus to get condensation. 

It's strange that I've seen more Lexus cars with condensation in headlights on YouTube than any other car. Maybe I see a lexus and recognise it way more than any car.

Probably... I have never seen Lexus with condensation in headlight. In my case I was polishing them and when I was cleaning some of the polish some water got inside (the headlight was obviously completely disassembled at the time).

What I generally see, that when there is condensation in headlights, the car is generally older and have some damage - cracks etc. As well some cheaper or british cars tends to have that over the time, but for the rest it is usually damage, or poor work of somebody (not bothering to close the watertight latches for bulbs etc.).

I’ve noticed that a lot of the German cars, even when they are new, have headlights which are misted up, around this time of year. A quick look on their forums showed that this is often classed as normal. 

Well I've got a replacement used headlight coming this week mine has rust looking stains inside the lens bit. I was considering getting the Vland ones but after seeing a video how to install them and he tested them against a different aftermarket ones I said to myself no way hozay. The light pattern from them look ruddy awful. That's my view and I know some on here have them and love them.

Are there any good aftermarket ones? Probably pricey but I remember I bought aftermarket lights for the Nissan Almera years ago as the originals were badly suffering from condensation and doing anything buffering from the outside did not help, read online it was a common problem. Aftermarket ones three years later still look crisp clean.

I only know of Depo and Vland. Personally wouldn't touch Vland. If you have zenon headlight then consider changing to halogen as from what I've seen on Lexus direct £89 for one bulb!!!!!!!!!!!! Ruddy rip off but on the other hand £250 for a genuine new halogen headlight, double that for a zenon one.

The VLAND LED DRL Headlamps have been around for a while and have their fans.

The legal status of them seems questionable though. A few reviewers on amazon mention the lack of a parking light resulted in an MOT failure.

Perhaps someone who has them can chime in whether they truly are plug & play, or if they need to be modified.

Update. New used headlight fitted this late morning. My old one wow what a load of water in it. I thought I'd scavenge the control unit. Took back of it and OMG rust inside it. No reusing that then. So moral of this is if you find condensation in your headlight find the reason why within a few days. If not possible then forget it and replace the headlight. I got mine for £135 so that's a bargain in my eyes.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links