Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Carplay and Android Auto in any Lexus

EddieCD

Hi all,  

I know we can’t get Carplay retrofitted into the older LC500s and it is something I really miss in the car.  There are now external CarPlay units available and I have bought the Road Top 8.8 inch wireless CarPlay/android auto unit from amazon for £285.  Plugs into 12v charger and you can connect audio via Bluetooth,AUX or FM transmitter.  Connected mine via AUX and fed the cables behind the dash and then down the sides into the centre console.  Had to buy a 12v extension cable and 5m AUX cable as the ones supplied weren’t long enough to hide them properly.  Phone connects to CarPlay wirelessly when connected to Bluetooth and I can have Waze and Spotify on in split screen.  Can easily be removed and hidden if you’re not parked in a secure location.  Pic attached of it installed.

https://www.roadtop.com/88-portable-universal-carplay-p0278-p0278.html

Cheers,

Eddie

ED9E5920-8A6C-43C2-BF04-E2F2544E7D16.jpeg

• Confused 1

Looks like good solution! 

Is there an advantage to connecting the audio via AUX as opposed to Bluetooth for less wires? Though I suppose with the 12v wire you've got to hide that anyway so another isn't going to make much of a difference. 

In terms of running the cables, have you removed any trim to hide them or have you clipped them in some way? 

Very interested in this for Android auto but not keen / confident on taking trim apart 😬

No need to remove trim, there is a bit of a recess where the windscreen meets the dash and used a trim tool to push the wires down. The AUX wire goes to the right hand side and is pushed under the speaker lip which lifts up a bit with a trim tool. the 12V cable goes left and into the glovebox where the extension cable is and plugs in there.  

The reason I ended up using AUX was that when using Bluetooth there was a bit of interference every 20 secs or so where it went quiet for a second.  I’m sure if I played around with it I could resolve but AUX works fine.

There are different versions. The one for version 9 of the infotainment system of Lexus is showing as compatible with LC 2019 and 20 but I suspect it should work with 2018 too. You could check your wiring behind your infotainment system and if you have the ports you see on pages 5 and 6 of the following manual, it's worth having a go.

https://gromaudio.com/docs/vline_manuals/lex9_install_manual_web.pdf

https://www.gromaudio.co.uk/products/vl1-infotainment-upgrade/select-lexus-2018-2012-grom-vline-vl2-infotainment-system-upgrade-video-interface-lex9.html

My car a 2016 LS460 is not listed under the compatibility section on that page but the unit works as I have version 9 of the infotainment system. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/13/2022 at 5:08 PM, EddieCD said:

Hi all,  

I know we can’t get Carplay retrofitted into the older LC500s and it is something I really miss in the car.  There are now external CarPlay units available and I have bought the Road Top 8.8 inch wireless CarPlay/android auto unit from Amazon for £285.  Plugs into 12v charger and you can connect audio via Bluetooth,AUX or FM transmitter.  Connected mine via AUX and fed the cables behind the dash and then down the sides into the centre console.  Had to buy a 12v extension cable and 5m AUX cable as the ones supplied weren’t long enough to hide them properly.  Phone connects to CarPlay wirelessly when connected to Bluetooth and I can have Waze and Spotify on in split screen.  Can easily be removed and hidden if you’re not parked in a secure location.  Pic attached of it installed.

Cheers,

Eddie

Sorry to revive this, but could you please post more pictures on how you hid the power cable to the left and into the glove box please?

Hi, I tucked the power cable into the recess between the windscreen and the dash.  The cable was then tucked under the lip by the speakers. It is then fed down into the glovebox where the 12v connector plugs into a 12v extension cable which then goes into the 12v socket in the centre console.  All still works great.

Thanks,

Eddie

ADD8279B-D5D0-46BE-A9D1-B6CA83C93CBB.png

66C232A2-71D4-4207-83AF-9D157E7F05A6.png

On 3/13/2022 at 5:08 PM, EddieCD said:

Hi all,  

I know we can’t get Carplay retrofitted into the older LC500s and it is something I really miss in the car.  There are now external CarPlay units available and I have bought the Road Top 8.8 inch wireless CarPlay/android auto unit from Amazon for £285.  Plugs into 12v charger and you can connect audio via Bluetooth,AUX or FM transmitter.  Connected mine via AUX and fed the cables behind the dash and then down the sides into the centre console.  Had to buy a 12v extension cable and 5m AUX cable as the ones supplied weren’t long enough to hide them properly.  Phone connects to CarPlay wirelessly when connected to Bluetooth and I can have Waze and Spotify on in split screen.  Can easily be removed and hidden if you’re not parked in a secure location.  Pic attached of it installed.

Cheers,

Eddie

My biggest worry was sticking the additional screen in to the top of the leather covered dash. I could see it leaving an ugly mark from the glue of the double sided fixing which would really ruin the aesthetics.  Any comments Eddie?

Hi, it sticks to the windscreen and rests on the dash, they even provide a silicone base for the screen to rest on so no risk of any marks to the leather 😀  it’s very well stuck so no chance of it falling off either when driving.

Thanks,

Eddie

1 hour ago, Bluemarlin said:

Do you need a decicated device to do this, or could it be done with any Android tablet/iPad?

You can use an android tablet fairly easily to do this and I did consider doing this as you can pick up a fire tablet fairly cheaply. Guide is here https://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-add-wireless-carplay-to-any-car-with-a-cheap-android-tablet-adapter-video/

good luck 😀

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, EddieCD said:

You can use an android tablet fairly easily to do this and I did consider doing this as you can pick up a fire tablet fairly cheaply. Guide is here https://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-add-wireless-carplay-to-any-car-with-a-cheap-android-tablet-adapter-video/

good luck 😀

Brilliant, thanks Eddie.