Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Picking up new car, Full tank of fuel?

Hey all 

My dad is due to pick up his new UX F sport from Lexus Woodford, he has asked me if the dealer will give a full take a fuel? I assume they should do….but have things changed? Does anyone have experience with Lexus Woodford?

Thanks!

Hello Mr .... this is .... from Lexus Woodford, just calling you to let you know that your new Lexus UX F Sport is ready to pick up on Tuesday.

Dad - oh that's great news, by the way will I get a full tank of fuel?

They can only say no.....

• Thanks 1

When I collected my new UX from Lexus Bolton I was pleased and surprised that it came with a full tank of fuel. 
This was my first experience of a brand new Lexus, my previous  brand new cars go way back to Rover 75’s, non of which came with a full tank of fuel. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Picked up my third new Lexus NX yesterday and was given a complimentary cup full of fuel. Managed to drive 34 miles before needing to fill up as it was running on fumes. Very annoying as the vehicle I traded in had half a tank of fuel left.

Couple that with an extremely poor trade-in quote, a measly £1000 customer loyalty discount(?)and the fact that Lexus have stopped giving the 3 day drive away insurance, makes me wonder if Lexus is in trouble.

It certainly did not feel like I was purchasing a prestige vehicle.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Lexus stoke left me with an almost empty tank of fuel too. I had to go to the nearest garage to make sure that I did not run out.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, GMB said:

Lexus stoke left me with an almost empty tank of fuel too. I had to go to the nearest garage to make sure that I did not run out.

I got exactly the same service from Stoke when I bought my ex demo IS300h 8 years ago.
when I queried them they said I didn’t ask 

Never been back to them. ☹️

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

I got exactly the same service from Stoke when I bought my ex demo IS300h 8 years ago.

Never been back to them. ☹️

I think you  got it right. If it's not full, you can be glad it was a cheap and quick way to find out it's better you don't go back.

16 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Jokers aren't they? I asked and got a gallic shrug.

I have three new Lexi and they all had a full tank of fuel.  They come factory fitted with carpet maps and I’ve always got mudflaps after asking.

• Like 1

Lexus and their higher level of customer service aside, it's an almost an old school thing now isn't it?  Every car I've purchased in the past 20 years have had the petrol light on when I've bought it (all used) but I remember working for a Ford dealership (parts department) in my teens and they had their own petrol and diesel pumps that they used for customers making purchases.

Didn’t get a full tank of full (and didn’t expect one) - I’d haggled thousands off the price and preferred cash off then fill up at Costco on way home for less. Did come with a full Battery charge though, which was unexpected and a nice touch. 

• Like 2

I must admit I'm surprised by this. No matter how poor my dealer was throughout my 16 months of waiting (as well documented on here...), I did at least get a full tank off them if nothing else. Thinking back, I can only recall one occasion where I've purchased a new car and it to not have a full tank. Even then, it was half a tank. 

Considering car dealers (main dealers) have a legal obligation, that I'm aware of at least, to make sure cars leave the forecourt with insurance, I'm very surprised by the lack of the standard three day free cover. I remember many years ago where this wasn't the case and I had to prove I had insurance on the new car before they handed me the keys. The free temporary cover these days basically covers any forgetfulness or mistakes in this respect. It would be an incredibly poor and retrograde step to make for Leuxs or that particular dealer at least. 

• Like 2

I did get a full tank of fuel, but didn't get the three days of insurance. I was told in August (when I bought the car) that I would get the insurance, but was told a few days before I collected it (end November) that they had discontinued it. They also told me that they needed me to insure it for one day for Nov 30th so that they could tax the car, which would have meant that I was taxing the car for a month that I would not use. I refused, and they somehow resolved it themselves. I believe the reason was more so that they got the car off their sales books in November, not December.

What was a little cheeky was that I'd logged into the Lexus Link+ app before I collected the car and saw that they had indeed filled the tank up, but whoever drove it to the petrol station had been driving it very hard. It got a score of 40 in the app! Hard acceleration and hard braking. We 'had words', and they did make efforts compensate me and were very apologetic, but it was not a great start to my first relationship with Lexus.

• Sad 1

Also, should have added to my previous post above, each time the car has been back at the dealers for the 2-3 recalls by Lexus they have topped up the fuel tank from wherever it was when I left it.

My (very good) dealer told me that it was a Lexus HO requirement that dealers compensate customers for their costs incurred when cars have to come back in to dealerships for manufacturer recalls.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martin Bailey said:

I did get a full tank of fuel, but didn't get the three days of insurance. I was told in August (when I bought the car) that I would get the insurance, but was told a few days before I collected it (end November) that they had discontinued it. They also told me that they needed me to insure it for one day for Nov 30th so that they could tax the car, which would have meant that I was taxing the car for a month that I would not use. I refused, and they somehow resolved it themselves. I believe the reason was more so that they got the car off their sales books in November, not December.

What was a little cheeky was that I'd logged into the Lexus Link+ app before I collected the car and saw that they had indeed filled the tank up, but whoever drove it to the petrol station had been driving it very hard. It got a score of 40 in the app! Hard acceleration and hard braking. We 'had words', and they did make efforts compensate me and were very apologetic, but it was not a great start to my first relationship with Lexus.

Perhaps I should upload the Dash cam from when mine was thrashed along an industrial estate road when I asked them to check a noise when driving slowly! They were even into my pack of tic-tacs left in the cup holder! Sadly there's nothing special about Lexus UK I fear.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, RXtoNX said:

Also, should have added to my previous post above, each time the car has been back at the dealers for the 2-3 recalls by Lexus they have topped up the fuel tank from wherever it was when I left it.

My (very good) dealer told me that it was a Lexus HO requirement that dealers compensate customers for their costs incurred when cars have to come back in to dealerships for manufacturer recalls.

Likewise I have also had around 5 gallons of fuel replaced for each recall and a courtesy car supplied foc. 

Customer care in my experience has been faultless.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RXtoNX said:

Just a shame that some dealers ‘forget’ this and pocket the money instead. 

• Sad 1

I picked up my 2017 CT (used) from a Toyota dealer this week and they actually filled the tank for me. I had to ask though (as the day I was negotiating he said he'd throw that in). It was near empty when I collected it, had to mention it to him... He pretended he didn't do it yet because he didn't want to get the car dirty after being polished and things but no doubt he was trying his arm at not filling it. 

I suspect a new (or approved used) Lexus it's just a matter of mentioning it in a way that you expect it and that for them to not play ball, is only to make themselves look bad to deliver your new Lexus without the full tank.  

It is common for used cars to be kept with minimal fuel in so that in the event of a theft from the forecourt the thieves can’t get far. 

It does seem common for dealers to not respect their customers cars and drive them in ways the owner would not. 

For example, the first time I saw my new to me car in the flesh it was doing 80 mph in the fast lane of a dual carriageway on its way to the dealer to meet me for a viewing.  I rescued her from the nasty dealers and Pookie is now well cared for and driven with care and respect. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

It is common for used cars to be kept with minimal fuel in so that in the event of a theft from the forecourt the thieves can’t get far. 

You’d think ‘Going equipped’ would include a can of fuel!

• Haha 1