Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Coolant leak from solid pipe behind water cap

MrTrendizzle

Hey everyone. Noticed steam yesterday from the engine bay and had a quick look to find the solid pipe behind the water cap (not expansion) is dripping coolant. (Video included)

I've had a quick look on how to atleast remove it and it looks like the entire intake has to come off.  

Does anyone atleast know if its an easy repair or will I need a whole new assembly? If so what's the part number and does anyone have a repair manual they would be kind enough to send me.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Have sent you a PM.

As for the leak, it is quite hard to tell from the video, but is that a rubber hose attached to the pipe?

Sorry the video wasn't the best. When i go under and you see the two hoses it's the metal part of the assembly at the bottom that looks to be dripping. The video is upside down at that point. Sorry it was hard to get my phone down there to capture it.

I've had a good look around the internet and it seems the metal pipe i'm talking about has an O-ring that the assembly just pushes on to. The only problem is i have no idea what the assembly is called?  

Radiator cap housing brings up nothing,  

Radiator cap assembly brings up nothing,  

It's the metal housing the thermostat bolts on to i have no idea what the name is. I'm sure i'm being dumb and i know what it is i just can't for the life of me think of what it's called. (In the video it's the big metal housing at the start with water bubbling in that should have a cap on.)

Sorry for yet another reply to my own post but this is the rubber o ring i'm looking for. Does anyone have a part number?  

EDIT: Anyone else with this issue the part numbers are,
Water outlet pipe O-Ring = 9676135025 (16306A)
Water inlet housing gasket = 1632531010 (16325)
They're both marked with faint red arrows in the picture. The big red one is what is leaking on mine causing steam from under the bonnet.

I'll get some pictures/video when i replace mine to help others repair their issues.

o ring.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

I know there are a few websites that lists the part numbers, but I haven't got them to hand at the moment.  In the meantime you can try here:

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/

Should hopefully be able to supply it as well.

I just rang Lexus and was given a sheet to find the parts required.
The part that has failed on mine is 16306A but when replacing that i will also require 16325.
I did a quick Google search and found the part numbers,
Water outlet pipe O-Ring = 9676135025 (16306A)
Water inlet housing gasket = 1632531010 (16325)
Hopefully this helps others if anyone else has the same issue. Will update with pictures of the repair when i get the new gasket and seal.

Section_WithoutParts14_03_2022.pdf

• Like 1

I saw that video and it's actually pretty good for repairing what i need to repair. Currently sat waiting on Lexus Cheltenham to post me out the parts i require. To be fair OEM was not too expensive. £9 for both including postage.

Couldn't get the seals anywhere else without the entire unit and i don't fancy chucking on some nitrile o-rings from screwfix.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 12:37 PM, Texas said:

Dohhh.  That vid I posted was for a 250 and you have a 220 so I don’t think it’s gonna help much! 🙄

Nope. I do have a IS 250 (I had a 220 for 24 hours and returned it for a refund due to blown turbo and everyone on here screaming how bad they are)

So i finally got my parts delivered. HUGE thank you to Lexus Cheltenham for posting them out to me.

I don't know if it will help anyone else but if you get a leak from the water inlet/outlet housing here's a few pictures and what i did.
Ignore the £20 eBay airfilter and pipe. The pipe was too long so i cut it down and wedged it in the rubber pipe. Still works, no error codes but i have noticed a significant flat spot at around 3800-4000 revs almost like VVTI but very slow. (I don't want to chop the original airbox up as i like to put my car back to factory when or if i ever sell the car. I feel it has more value stock.

20220320_152014.jpg
Firstly undo the air intake by removing these two bolts 10mm

20220320_151908.jpg
Remove the three 10mm nuts to remove move the wiring out the way

20220320_151904.jpg
Unplug these two to help move it over the top of the oil cap

20220320_151850.jpg
Don't forget this little grommet. Just pulls off

20220320_151841.jpg
Next you remove two of these plastic nuts? Should be able to get your hand in there and unscrew them

20220320_151836.jpg
Here's the second one

20220320_151716.jpg
Next remove every hose. I find spraying them with some WD40 helps slide them along the hoses with a pair of mole grips

20220320_150142.jpg
Undo these two bolts 10mm

20220320_150138.jpg
Another angle to see them both

20220320_150103.jpg
On the water outlet there's 2 bolts and a nut. All 10mm If you remove the overflow tank it's easier to get to the last nut.

20220320_145903.jpg
Here's the two seals i had to replace. The far left seal was the culprit leaking but as you need to remove the entire housing you will want to replace the right side seal also.

Now follow this in reverse and you should be good to go. Use a little oil on your finger around the Oring to help slide it back inside the housing and bolt it hand tight back together. I didn't check torque specs. I used my internal settings of "So long as it don't snap or strip it's good"

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MrTrendizzle said:

Nope. I do have a IS 250 (I had a 220 for 24 hours and returned it for a refund due to blown turbo and everyone on here screaming how bad they are)

Good move that man👍
I was just going by your profile specs!