Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New owner

Zadumbreion

Hi everyone.

As of today I am the proud owner of a 2018 LC500 (Infrared, black interior) purchased - strangely - from BMW Mini in Sunningdale. I've spent several months obsessing over the car "on paper" before finally pulling the trigger a couple of weeks ago. Past cars include the E63 M6 (V10), Audi C7 S6 (V8 TT) and a couple of Alpinas (E39 B10V8 and E34 B10 BiTurbo) - and the LC seems to be the ultimate "if you get it, you get it" car. It ticks so many boxes for me.

[Admittedly it doesn't feel like a fantastic time to be buying a V8 but if you look at it another way, perhaps it's now or never 🙂 ]

The biggest issue I have right now is deciding between using it as a frequent driver and keeping it pristine, tucked away in the garage except for occasional use. These are so special and rare that part of me really wants to use it sparingly, but all the cars I've really bonded with and enjoyed (like those listed above) were used as my main car. I don't think I'm great at having significant amounts of money tied up as automotive art / toys no matter how lovely they are, and besides - if you like being in the car and driving it, then wouldn't you want to do that as often as you can? 🙂    

Interested to hear how others have addressed this - I'm sure I'm not the only one to be torn between the two options!

Anyway look forward to getting to know the rest of the community that "get it" 😉

• Like 1

It's a car. Designed to be driven. Outside, on the roads.

This life is not a rehersal where you make the choices here and get to carry them out in the next. You could be run over by a bus next week so use it and enjoy it the way it was meant to be.

• Like 2

I have a 2019 infrared with black interior also, a real eye catcher. For everyday short trips I use my SUV  that is well protected on the door panels. My concern with the LC for everyday is parking as the car is pristine and I want to keep it that way at least for now. I am paranoid of someone dinging the door panel.1385518748_LexusLC500(1).thumb.jpg.f6940e2c22a954bb57b72fbda7078b1e.jpg 

• Like 2

Welcome to the LOC!

I'd 100% agree with Herbie. Drive it and enjoy it thoroughly! It would seem a shame just to let it out only now and again. I'd only dream of having a car history like yours.

Keep it garaged of course when at home. Get it secured as much as you can. Keep it detailed well. Cherish it. Enjoy those moments on country lanes or motorways when you can.

When you get that nod from a passer by that "gets it" it'll be worthwhile!!👍🏽

• Like 1

I have owned my LC for 2.5 years and have always used it frequently including some shopping trips etc.I am extremely fussy about where I leave it and careless other owners but as said above,theres little point in just leaving it in the garage.Plus,I get to clean it every day I use it,which I enjoy!

Enjoy yours.

A J.

• Like 1

I would echo what AJ500 says above. Regarding parking, the big problem is getting a space where some unthinking person can't park close to the driver's door and stop you getting in!

Mine (also Sonic Red/Black) is 4 years old and used for a variety of trips. I haven't done a huge mileage but try to get out in it at least every week. In between it sits in the garage on a trickle charger.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Sounds like a compromise is going to be the answer. Yes those long doors are not easy to get in and out of... and the risk of a careless ding... and then there's the wheels which - from what I can make out - are almost impossible to repair... Will need to pick my journeys carefully 😄

I just want to say two more things.

1. Back in 1973 my dad got a brand new car. OK, it was 'only' a Morris Marina Estate but in our street/neighbourhood/circle of friends it was almost unheard of to own a brand new car and it cost him a lot of money at the time. Thing is, we lived in a street of terraced houses with no driveway or garage and he just had to park it outside the house. I know traffic wasn't as bad back then but we still had double-decker buses, trucks and all manner of vehicular traffic passing by. When I asked if he was worried about it getting damaged he just laughed and said no - he couldn't do anything about it and there were plenty of other things in life to worry about.
  2. I am absolutely not making light of the war but, four weeks ago someone in Ukraine may have had an LC500 (or some other car that they loved equally as much) locked away in a garage because they were paranoid of someone dinging a door panel or whatever. My point is, you never know what's round the corner so get it out and enjoy it now, for tomorrow may never come.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

I would echo what AJ500 says above. Regarding parking, the big problem is getting a space where some unthinking person can't park close to the driver's door and stop you getting in!

I have the same problems at petrol pumps, even when i park right up against the pump is a large car, van,or truck parks at the pump opposite i sometime can't open the door far enough to get in.

• Like 1

For my two pennies worth, I bought a second car as a runabout given I can and do park in places where a large and wide car would not be expected to go. This arrangement works well and for the most part the LC gets used on longer journeys. The runabout gets used for all manner of things such as shopping, trips to the tip and even (much to my angst) by my wife who frequently uses it to tow a sand school leveller! Obviously two cars to tax/insure/service but the payback is driving the LC. Oh, definitely do not underestimate the width of the car and the door lengths. For what it is worth,  I  have number 3 of the seat memory settings adjusted such that the seat fully reverses and lifts up at the same time. I engage this when exiting is difficult, and it can and does make life a lot easier.

• Like 3

I also have a couple of old motorbikes in the garage (nothing interesting) and yesterday after having squeezed the LC into the garage I was [extremely carefully] trying to move the bikes around so I could actually open the door properly. Somehow I made a mistake and one of the bikes toppled straight into the side of the car and it's super-difficult-to-match paintwork..... except I managed to lunge between the bike and the car and somehow hold it up before it made contact. I reckon it was less than a centimetre from the door when I caught it. Cost me a split knuckle, torn fingernails and a bruised knee but that's a price happily paid to save the door!!!! 😂

Moral of the story - remove car from garage PRIOR to moving other stuff round.

I'm going to have to find somewhere else for the bikes, or maybe sell them - they get so little use.

7 hours ago, Herbie said:

I just want to say two more things.

this is just brilliant ..........

over 22 years driving a Ls400 people have been in quite some awe of me and my car ...  well, the car really

that long ago coz they were new and rare to be seen on the roads .  then a bit more common .  but now, again in awe coz it's so rare to see one on the roads

I've probably driven 250k miles over those years in a Ls400 ....  I've enjoyed supreme comfort, style, reliability, power and acceleration at Will and by the bucket load ..  and enjoyed every single moment of my motoring, the UK, Ireland and much of Europe .......

Ok there's a few dings from time to time and this old lady is now a quite presentable but Cat N  ...........4 ltr V8 limo

I would earnestly encourage you to drive your cars to the fullest you can, to enjoy every minute of owning your car and not to worry too much about the inevitable odd dings and dents 

Life is for living and one fine day it will all come to a sudden STOP ...... so Just get out there and ENJOY ........  it's so important to do so ... don't live to regret not enjoying your car

Malc

• Like 3

Totally agree, made to be used and enjoyed!

I have a LS600hl, totally unique only ever seen 2 others on the road, do very low miles but each short trip enjoyable and any long trip an absolute experience.

Love the LC but does seem low  and wide. How will I find comfort, access and ride coming from the beast? 

• Like 1