Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus RCF Fuel efficiency

Hi,

today I went from Swansea to Huddersfield. 260 miles one way.

77mph cruise control most of the time. 33MPG on computer. I put petrol in Huddersfield and 36 litres to make it full again.

What a wonderful car! 

I would never believe it if I hadn't tried it.

Thank you Lexus:)

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, DamianLEX said:

Hi,

77mph cruise control most of the time. 33MPG on computer. I put petrol in Huddersfield and 36 litres to make it full again.

What a wonderful car! 

Assuming that you started with a full tank, that equates to 35.8 mpg ..3mpg more that the computer quoted. I thought the computer always overstates than reality.

Best i had was 36.5 on a spiritive 600+mile drive 80% motorway 20% mix of A roads and dual carriageways early morning start … full prior to leaving  1 stop for fuel around Carlisle then top up at destination wether start position was from Elgin area N.E Scotland to Warlingham Surrey or vice versa

done same journey/distance for a year and a half averaging 32.5.. lead foot sports+ and driven like ive just stolen it… 

these cars can give a decent mpg  for 5.0 V8

was during the pandemic so roads where pretty clear 70% of the time

19 minutes ago, ironrose said:

Assuming that you started with a full tank, that equates to 35.8 mpg ..3mpg more that the computer quoted. I thought the computer always overstates than reality.

The fuel computer never reads under 🙂

36 litres = 7.919 imperial gallons

32.8 mpg which is very respectable and pretty close to the computer's reading, normally it overstates by more than that.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

And thank the Atkinson cycle too 😉

Traffic and road conditions allowing, have easily stayed in the high 30's

Have also easily been in single figures 😆

🤷‍♂️ i cant get it in single figures regardless i floor it with sports plus and throttle commander on highest setting and everything open on exhaust… long or short journeys 🤔

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

The fuel computer never reads under 🙂

36 litres = 7.919 imperial gallons

32.8 mpg which is very respectable and pretty close to the computer's reading, normally it overstates by more than that.

Got my maths wrong there, should have gone to Kumon 😜. I thought he filled up with 33 litres not 36. 

14 hours ago, DamianLEX said:

Hi,

What a wonderful car! 

I tend to get 30-34MPG on a motorway run in normal mode. It's a great cruiser and I almost can't believe how comfortable it is and how "fine" I feel getting out even after a few hours of driving.

The tank is 66litres (14.5 imp gallons), so it should be possible to get 450+ miles from a tank under ideal conditions.

I've also seen 12-15mpg at times. Not sure about single digits, @hockeyedwards how did you achieve this you hooligan? 😄

• Haha 1

I am not a hooligan, I am a 'spirited' driver! 😛

It was the first few weeks into ownership, car had PSS which were mega low on tread and I drove it EVERYWHERE like I stole it, rung its neck at every opportunity. 9.6 mpg was the lowest it ever showed and tbh I don't think I have ever driven it that hard since, on some twisty roads I have got into the low teens a few times.

Average about 23-26 these days.

Must have been all the right/ wrong circumstances to make it happen 😆

• Like 2

While we're on the subject does anyone else have to turn the nozzle to a bit of a crazy angle to get it to fill up without clicking off?

Often get a hissing sound as I undo the fuel cap as well which makes me wonder if my breather tube might be clogged.

I concur with hockeyedwards re the hiss…only ever heard it when ive filled up after running basically on fumes.. fill up as per norm no turning of nozzle for me either

Is fuel tank capacity really 66l?

The most I could fill in in last 6 months of ownership was 58.5l (basically nothing left according to computer reading).

Where in Volvo S60 tank is 67.5l I can regularly fill up to 65-66l when empty. 
Maybe I have got 60l tank only?

How can I check that without stopping on motorway with no fuel left?:)

1 hour ago, DamianLEX said:

Is fuel tank capacity really 66l?

The most I could fill in in last 6 months of ownership was 58.5l (basically nothing left according to computer reading).

Where in Volvo S60 tank is 67.5l I can regularly fill up to 65-66l when empty. 
Maybe I have got 60l tank only?

How can I check that without stopping on motorway with no fuel left?:)

According to the manual yes:
image.png.481c76736b74d1ac8bc702d4534ae66b.png

"Empty" (0 miles range remaining) is really more like 6-10 L remaining as far as I can tell. They give you plenty of reserve.

The manual also says that the low fuel light comes on when you have approx. 10 L or less.

Even if you knew exactly how much fuel was left, you don't really want to get into the habit of running it very low. As I understand it can be bad for the fuel pump among other things.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 5:38 PM, Rob RCF said:

While we're on the subject does anyone else have to turn the nozzle to a bit of a crazy angle to get it to fill up without clicking off?

Often get a hissing sound as I undo the fuel cap as well which makes me wonder if my breather tube might be clogged.

It's not by any chance at Sainsbury's that you have the issue with the nozzle angle is it? That's where I can recall it happening with my RCF. And I know it's 97 octane before anyone says... Do try to keep it treated properly with 99 usually.

On 4/1/2022 at 2:42 PM, HughTwo said:

It's not by any chance at Sainsbury's that you have the issue with the nozzle angle is it? That's where I can recall it happening with my RCF. And I know it's 97 octane before anyone says... Do try to keep it treated properly with 99 usually.

No, I've never filled at Sainsbury's. I've used Esso, Shell, BP.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 5:38 PM, Rob RCF said:

Mine does this everytime! 

9 hours ago, ben_harmer32 said:

Mine does this everytime! 

The hissing, or the clicking off?

The other day I literally had to hold the nozzle at like a 1 o clock angle (essentially inserting it upside down, which is awkward), to get it to fill without clicking off. I'm starting to question whether I know how to fill a car properly as I've had this happen on lots of other cars as well. I see some people don't push the nozzle in fully, but kinda half way - should I do that instead?

Sometimes I need to angle the nozzle a little bit, maybe to 8 o’ clock, it seems to depend on the pump type. Some are fine, but I’ve found sainsbury’s to be the worst for it.

Previously, I had a BMW Z4M coupé, and this was always very difficult to fill at sainsbury’s. Often had to have the nozzle upside down, various lengths to even get it to flow slowly.
At BP and Shell stations, it wasn’t really a problem :ermm:

On 4/16/2022 at 6:43 PM, Rob RCF said:

The hissing, or the clicking off?

The other day I literally had to hold the nozzle at like a 1 o clock angle (essentially inserting it upside down, which is awkward), to get it to fill without clicking off. I'm starting to question whether I know how to fill a car properly as I've had this happen on lots of other cars as well. I see some people don't push the nozzle in fully, but kinda half way - should I do that instead?

Clicking off, I find if I just put the nozzle in a bit (not all the way) it's usually OK. 

• Like 1