Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just picked up my first Lexus - 2004 GS430

Hello Lexus owners!

Today I am proud to say I have become the owner of this 2004 GS430 Sport. 
My partner is Canadian and can only drive automatic so we came to an agreement that if I buy an automatic, she will be able to drive it, but I get to choose what car, and here we are.

I'm already in love with it. I come from a Mazda background but this feels really premium, I cannot believe the lack of road noise. The gentleman I bought it off has told me it has the Y section and behind with an aftermarket exhaust, as well as TTE rear shocks which neither was listed in the advert, but was a great surprise. The only thing I am not loving is the obvious fuel prices.... However, I am able to walk to work, so it is purely a weekend car.

My main query is, should I be running it on premium? For the trip home I decided to opt for Shell V power as I wasn't sure, but I assuming it is the right choice.

This example seems to be well looked after, no rust in the typical spots, minimal bodywork damage (at least no obvious damage in the hideous weather today), no knocks or bangs (besides the rigid rear shocks) and a recent cambelt / water pump replacement.

Thanks for reading, I cannot wait for the weekend to give it a clean and go for a proper drive in the dry!

20220316_181502.jpg

20220316_181525.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to LOC.

looks a nice example, got any daylight pics? I really enjoyed the years I had my silver GS430 Sport. Quick, not bad on fuel for engine size, especially if taking a relaxed long distance cruise. 

Shame that the centre caps are missing, they’ll be tricky to replace as they are very rare. It’s also missing the usual chin spoiler that the Sport had. If you can get one, it does finish the front off nice.

23 minutes ago, TigerFish said:

Welcome to LOC.

Thanks a lot! 

Unfortunately I do not have any day time photos yet, I viewed it early evening as it was about to get dark and drove her home, but soon we will have some!

I'm intrigued by the fuel consumption, I haven't driven it 'hard' yet at all. 83 mile drive back home and took it steady and was cautious of the fuel needle... But i did read online that it's not absolutely terrible on a long run so, we will see. 

Ahh yes, I knew it was missing something but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I have just looked and the centre caps look to have been sprayed black actually! So they could do with a lick of paint which I'm sure will help!

guess you have a rare'ish car so well done 

really !  you cannot surely be too worried about the mpg .....  buying a car such as this and being a tad miserly with fuel seems a bit daft to me :wink3:

ENJOY her .  life's possibly too short to worry about a few pennies on fuel consumption

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Really !  you cannot surely be too worried about the mpg .....  

Hahaha, yeah not worried enough to not buy it, but coming from a Mazda diesel, I'm intrigued to see how it compares. 

But yeah life too short was a big reason for the purchase also. 

Thanks!

• Like 2

Hi and welcome to the LOC.

Very brave of you buying a car during twilight and wet, it is a Lexus though so should be fine.

Mot history looks good with all the advisories apparently sorted and below 100k miles is a bonus.

The seller even got a fresh MOT done.

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Hi and welcome to the LOC.

Very brave of you buying a car during twilight and wet, it is a Lexus though so should be fine.

Mot history looks good with all the advisories apparently sorted and below 100k miles is a bonus.

The seller even got a fresh MOT done.

Thankyou!

Yes I do believe it's been looked after in its life, everything work, drives smooth and the body is in great condition. 

• 2 months later...

Well done for you're purchase mate. Have the same one in dark Green and it's been just a joy so far for a year. Just a couple of advices, witch they gonna save you a lot with a car like this, since it's on an age. Check the radiator if it's still an original one and if it is, check you're transmission fluid to make sure of that the cooler for the transmission is not broke. Check for a leak in the trunk, where the spare tyre is( it is possible..) Careful with the antenna aerial, since it expand every time when you play the radio and the cable can easily snap. And on the last but very important,  check the rest of you're fluids and do change them for a peace of mind. Especially the differential and the transmission. Overall the car is a joy to drive, smooth and picky in the same time and i'm mostly sure that you'll enjoy it.
Have fun