Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

lexus gs 450h 4th generation what engine oil i should use?

bladest

Hi all i have GS450H lexus 4th generation year 2012,  in Europe most dealership never use 0w 20, they simply put whatever they have for example 5w 30 or 5w 40,

Also  i had other japanese cars same year 2012 or up, and when i used 0w 20 on hot summer temperature specially highway driving this oil evaporates or it becames like water, so i always receive low oil pressure light....

so oil needs to be added in order light to became off ,  according to GS 4TH gen specs

these are most common oils. 

• 0W-20

• 5W-20

• 5W-30

I wonder can i use either 0w 40 or 5w 30 or 5w 40 i dont want to damage the car engine and i also dont want to have issues when temperatures are hot.

i live in Bg, so here  we dont have winter or harsh winter like other countries...

Which one of the oils should i pick 0w  40 or 5w 30 or 5w 40 , since 0w 20 becames water for high revs and rpm and highway drive and i dont want to bring always oil with me and to stop to add etcs....

If you have the owner's manual you can check p.839-840.

The preferred oil for Europe is 0W-20 but 5W-30 can be used as well. 

I would say that there is no point trying 5W-20 because it will perform very similarly to 0W-20 in the hot weather.

Probably the best solution is to use 5W-30 in the summer and 0W-20 in the winter but this means doing at least two oil changes every year.

image.thumb.png.fb3afd61def42d44bd569371e18e144b.png

Hi i have 3 cars,

i will not drive Gs that much miles each year so i cant do 2 oil changes i dont do to any of my car 2 oil changes per year.I see you own is 250 , are you sure this manual is for gs450h 4th generation?

So is 5w 30 the best choise for 90% highway drive and 10% city drive with Gs450h 4th generation ?

Unfortunately i dont have the manual for my car... since it was imported from non english speaking country...

Will i have any issues with 5w 30 in the winter here sometimes temperatures gets -10 degrees in the winter, for my other older cars i use 5w 30 but they are older cars...Sometimes even in the winter we have 20 degrees of temperature so most of the time its summer or spring here winter is non existing any more due to global warming..

Also how about 0w 40  is it better than 5w 30 ?

I have friends with newer car for which also 0w 20 is adviced from dealer but they are using 0w40 instead, and i know for sure that  most dealership in europe are using instead of 0w 20 either 5w 30 or 5w 40 , but i dont understand the difference between these two .

In instruction manual I remember that recommended oil is 0W-20, and if not available you can put 5W-30 but better while available to put 0W-20, and I would say the specific Toyota oil, as hybrid engines work most time off with frequent start-stop, and this is also the reason to change oil more often , every 15000 km. (10000 miles).

An exceptio could be to use a thicker oil with fast and long  trais percurrences, but for these ones I would get a diesel 😇

• 1 month later...

Oil is 0w-20 Spec, don't deviate from this its a requirement unless you cannot get it.

It needs to be ILSAC GF-5 or API SN 

PS check the oil every 3000 Miles or so, since its thin it WILL use some!