Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS 300h test drive - 2014 F-Sport

Recently, I decided it is time to replace my 2005 IS250. I've been looking on Autotrader for the last few weeks and decided my next car will be GS mk4 - either 300h or 450h. I am not considering the GS250 only because I want to try a hybrid. 

So today I went for a test drive - I drove a GS 300h F-Sport. My initial worry was that, being a F-Sport, the ride will be too stiff at the expense of smoothness. Well, my assumption turned out to be wrong... kind of.

The F-Sport ride - firm but not harsh. My current IS250 rides firmer and it's uncomfortable over potholes - the GS is just better so I think I can live with it BUT... that made me think how good a Premier car with 18'' will be. If the difference is noticeable I will definitely go for Premier. If not, I will be considering F-sport as well. I looks so good with the 19'' and the f-sport bumpers.

The F-Sport look - I’ve never seen one of these cars on the road before but this one looked amazing! It has just the right amount of aggressiveness without being too much.

The power - it was completely fine in town and when driving in a relaxed manner. When we went to a 60mph road I did accelerate quite hard from 30 to 60 and I immediately thought "this car is not made for this". I’ve seen the stats (it’s slower than my IS250) so I was not surprised in any way.

The seats - amazing! The seats in my car are just bad. They are probably one of the worst seats I’ve sat in. If I drive more than 1 hours my back starts aching like crazy. My brother drives 2006 Peugeot 207 and the seats in this car are much better than mine. Anyway, the seats in the GS felt amazing. I was excited to try the active bolsters. They were “hugging” me very well at the extreme setting so this might be fun to have on a spirited drive (if it wasn’t the 300h).

Pricing - this is what puts me off from buying 300h and going for 450h instead. The prices for both are pretty much the same. Considering the performance difference and that when new, the 300h was £10 - £15k or so cheaper, just makes me thing that the 450h is much better value. I know the running costs (tax, insurance, fuel), maintenance and repairs are all more expensive, but if I was only looking at the lowest running costs I would just buy a 2-3 year old Yaris.

My view before today’s test drive was pretty much to look ONLY for 450h Premier. And my opinion after today - 450h (F-Sport or Premier), or 300h F-Sport (but ONLY if it is a very good deal compared to 450h).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Anevb said:

Recently, I decided it is time to replace my 2005 IS250. I've been looking on Autotrader for the last few weeks and decided my next car will be GS mk4 - either 300h or 450h. I am not considering the GS250 only because I want to try a hybrid. 

So today I went for a test drive - I drove a GS 300h F-Sport. My initial worry was that, being a F-Sport, the ride will be too stiff at the expense of smoothness. Well, my assumption turned out to be wrong... kind of.

The F-Sport ride - firm but not harsh. My current IS250 rides firmer and it's uncomfortable over potholes - the GS is just better so I think I can live with it BUT... that made me think how good a Premier car with 18'' will be. If the difference is noticeable I will definitely go for Premier. If not, I will be considering F-sport as well. I looks so good with the 19'' and the f-sport bumpers.

The F-Sport look - I’ve never seen one of these cars on the road before but this one looked amazing! It has just the right amount of aggressiveness without being too much.

The power - it was completely fine in town and when driving in a relaxed manner. When we went to a 60mph road I did accelerate quite hard from 30 to 60 and I immediately thought "this car is not made for this". I’ve seen the stats (it’s slower than my IS250) so I was not surprised in any way.

The seats - amazing! The seats in my car are just bad. They are probably one of the worst seats I’ve sat in. If I drive more than 1 hours my back starts aching like crazy. My brother drives 2006 Peugeot 207 and the seats in this car are much better than mine. Anyway, the seats in the GS felt amazing. I was excited to try the active bolsters. They were “hugging” me very well at the extreme setting so this might be fun to have on a spirited drive (if it wasn’t the 300h).

Pricing - this is what puts me off from buying 300h and going for 450h instead. The prices for both are pretty much the same. Considering the performance difference and that when new, the 300h was £10 - £15k or so cheaper, just makes me thing that the 450h is much better value. I know the running costs (tax, insurance, fuel), maintenance and repairs are all more expensive, but if I was only looking at the lowest running costs I would just buy a 2-3 year old Yaris.

My view before today’s test drive was pretty much to look ONLY for 450h Premier. And my opinion after today - 450h (F-Sport or Premier), or 300h F-Sport (but ONLY if it is a very good deal compared to 450h).

Boris,Go for the 450h Premier and prepare to be amazed and for your Driving Philosophy to be changed. You might become 10 years older, overnight.

• Like 2

Fsport will always be a touch firm both in ride and steering. Never too hard as it is still a Lexus comfort machine.

Premier has best of both worlds. Super smooth in normal mode but close to F in sport or sport plus mode which tightens steering and improves throttle response. If 80% of your driving is smooth and relaxed then definitely go for Premier as you can switch for other 20% and still enjoy the additional features over the F.

300h is an excellent well balanced car BUT if you want to enjoy the performance and smoothness then please go for 450! 

i have owned 4 GS models including the unique 460 which is v similar to 450 and even smoother with V8. Then had 300 got 6 years of total fuss free ownership but minus the fun…

• Like 1

Before my RX I had a 2014 GS 300h with all bell and whistles , 19" wheels and Night infrared vision, and it was a WONDERFUL car, more than sufficient to cruise in total comfort and with  great mpg, but I agree that a 450h with V6 engine  gives all another feeling if you like performance.

Just talking about 18 vs 19 inches wheels, I had 19 but with nowadays potholes  they may be easier damaged because of /40 profile. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Boris,Go for the 450h Premier and prepare to be amazed and for your Driving Philosophy to be changed. You might become 10 years older, overnight.

I'm pretty sure that I will go for 450h. Jost not sure if I want to get 10 year older 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mossypossy said:

You pays your money.

You can have my 2009 450h for £6k, or pay MUCH more for a slightly younger model.

I thought about mk3 GS450h but there were two pretty major factors that put me off:

1. I don't particularly like the some details in the interior (the dials being one of them). If I had to choose between 2009 GS or 2009 IS, I would choose the IS (and I own one already);

2. The boot space is not enough for me. 

So yes, I prefer to pay much more for a car that feels and looks much better in my eyes. 

TBF from 30-60mph the GS300h is probably quicker than the IS250. Worth bearing in mind you won't really notice this as it doesnt have the traditional gears, always making a car feel slower than it actually is. I know from some stats posted on autocar etc that the IS300h (same drivetrain) was almost as quick as some 3L diesels with a lot more power during in-gear acceleration but it doesnt have the same level of urgency which is more of a feeling.

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

TBF from 30-60mph the GS300h is probably quicker than the IS250. Worth bearing in mind you won't really notice this as it doesnt have the traditional gears, always making a car feel slower than it actually is. I know from some stats posted on autocar etc that the IS300h (same drivetrain) was almost as quick as some 3L diesels with a lot more power during in-gear acceleration but it doesnt have the same level of urgency which is more of a feeling.

That's true. The feeling of the torque from a standard transmission is deceptive. My dad drives E Class 220d (manual) and it feels as fast as my IS250 despite the 0-60 being around 10.5s. 

But again, my main issue with the 300h is the price, which is the pretty much same as 450h. I would happily go for 300h if it was 25% cheaper than a comparable 450h.

1 hour ago, Anevb said:

That's true. The feeling of the torque from a standard transmission is deceptive. My dad drives E Class 220d (manual) and it feels as fast as my IS250 despite the 0-60 being around 10.5s. 

But again, my main issue with the 300h is the price, which is the pretty much same as 450h. I would happily go for 300h if it was 25% cheaper than a comparable 450h.

The thing you have to be wary of is that the price likely indicates stronger residual values on the 300h in comparison to the 450h. 

At the end of the day the 450h is a V6, so it will use more fuel, cost more to tax, service and insure than the 300h and that could be a factor why it is around the same price now

• 4 weeks later...

You can say it, it's totally right,  but sometimes you have to follow your heart. I have got the same dilema and I had to be rational. I have chosen an Gs300h instead of an 450h only because it is 3 years younger for the same price. I am happy with the car but it always remain the question: "what would it be if...?"

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 4:58 AM, Maverik said:

what would it be if...?"

I know what you mean. I bought 450h and I'm extremely happy with it but for 95% of the time 300h does the same job but costs you much less to run. 

• Like 1

I went from a GS460 to the GS300h some years ago. I had enjoyed 3 GS V8s in a row and loved their smoothness, effortless speed and refinement but did not like the £500 rfl and mpg. Given my typical Lexus relaxed driving style the 300 was just fine 90% of the time but how I missed the 460 at other times!

So glad to then be back to a V8 LS again now. You just takes your choice every time…

• 4 weeks later...

How then, gentlemen, do you rate the GS250? I do like this powerplant in my IS250 but with age the car overall has become...rather floppy and wrinkly. I imagine it is rather slower than the IS because heavier but that's not of first importance — the 'feel' is the thing.

2 minutes ago, MartinH said:

How then, gentlemen, do you rate the GS250? I do like this powerplant in my IS250 but with age the car overall has become...rather floppy and wrinkly. I imagine it is rather slower than the IS because heavier but that's not of first importance — the 'feel' is the thing.

Its not much slower than the IS250. It makes a good noise in F-Sport guise and they can be picked up relatively cheap compared to a 450h or newer 300h. 

Thank you! I found a promising-looking one, of correct mileage for age, and decent spec. I cannot be without the Mark Levinson sounds! And as you say, priced lower than the hybrid.