Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Taking my LS430 off the road for some much needed TLC

Hi everyone, 

So I bought my second LS430 after I unfortunatley had an accident in my first one. I got my first one in mint condition before the crash which was unfortunate. I bought this one as a fixer upper but due to redundancy it ended up being my daily with no work going into it and it's starting to fall apart.

Mechanically it's mostly sound, engine and gearbox are sweet as a nut. But it now needs a lot of work I can't really do over a weekend, so I'm thinking of getting a cheap run around and taking it off the road so I have time to do what work I can by myself.

Some of the work it needs:

• A new or repaired front bumper as my current one is cracked after a small bump.
  • Some body work on the rear bumper.
  • The two front doors will most likely need replacing as they both have bad rust that I think is beyond saving at this point.
  • Some paint work as it's the red/maroon colour which is pretty rare so I doubt I'll be able to find panels in that colour. 
  • A new petrol tank as my current one leaks if I fill it more than half way.
  • A new exhaust as mine is very rusted and leaking; it sounds like a NASCAR - (luckily I have a full stainless steel catback from my old one).
  • A new rear air strut as one is leaking (I may possibly convert it to coilovers but I don't really want to take away the ride comfort.
  • Fixing the AC as it doesn't work. 
  • A new set of alloys, or have my current ones refurbed.
  • Other than that a few bits and bobs but nothing serious. 

My AC doesn't work, nor did it on my old one. While I've never looked into it, I imagine it's the lines that run under the car to the rear. I can find the replacement hoses for not too much considering Lexus' part prices. I know you need to drop the exhaust and fuel tank to get to them but I'll be doing that anyway. Does anybody know of any guides to do this or have any of you done this repair yourself? I also heard of people just blocking off the rear and returning functionality to the front but I think I might as well fix the entire thing if I'm taking it apart.

I also need to fix the leak on one of the struts, it's the rear right. I still need to check where the leak is coming from before I blindly put a new strut in it. In your experience is it the strut that goes bad or could it be a bad line somewhere?

Also, while I'll have the car in pieces are there any other things I should be checking/replacing?

Thanks guys

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm hearing a clicking/clunking sound when I come to a stop sometimes. I imagine it's a bad bushing or something, although it seems to ride just fine. Any ideas where I can look first for the culprit? 

2 hours ago, DruLS said:

and it's starting to fall apart.

this seems a bit of gloom and doom .......... doesn't sound as if she's actually falling apart .  just that there's a few issues that you want to fix to get her much much better ....  did the last MOT show up any potential issues ?

Otherwise I'd be inclined to just get her looking tidy, safe and all essentials working and continue to run her as well you might 

Don't stop using and losing the comfort of such a glorious car and getting a cheap run around  ....... coz you know that some sad day this one too could suffer the same ignominous fate as your last and .  " bang  "      she's gone 

Let us know more please 

Malc

4 hours ago, Malc said:

this seems a bit of gloom and doom .......... doesn't sound as if she's actually falling apart .  just that there's a few issues that you want to fix to get her much much better ....  did the last MOT show up any potential issues ?

Otherwise I'd be inclined to just get her looking tidy, safe and all essentials working and continue to run her as well you might 

Don't stop using and losing the comfort of such a glorious car and getting a cheap run around  ....... coz you know that some sad day this one too could suffer the same ignominous fate as your last and .  " bang  "      she's gone 

Let us know more please 

Malc

It passed last time after I replaced a brake hose. The only advisory was a high lambda reading due to the exhaust leak, but since then the exhaust has started falling apart. I don't plan to keep it off the road for a long time, I'd just like to be able to take my time and have a backup car in case things go wrong. A broken bolt turns a 30 minute job into a 5 day ordeal! I'd only be buing a cheap little hatchback to last a few months that's all.

It's also going to need some paint work - It's next to impossible to find panels in this colour.

• Like 1

One of my rear struts failed last year (which it is entitled to do after 19 years !). It was going to cost over £1000 to replace. Assuming that the other 3 would not last much longer, and bearing in mind the cost of other parts which could fail - compressor, height sensors - I could soon have spent much more than the value of the car. If the car was written off after an accident I would not get that money back.

I converted mine to coil springs and shock absorbers. Total cost about £1000. I fitted them myself. I don't do a big mileage so this setup will probably last the life of the car. The ride is not as smooth as air suspension but it is perfectly acceptable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DruLS

I have a passenger side front door in silver if you're interested? Except for a couple of stone chips good condition and no sign of rust.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links