Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

E10 v E5 Fuel consumption

If I remember well, on my RX instructions manual they say to NOT use E10. May be it's different in other countries but better giving a look to manual.

22 minutes ago, Zotto said:

If I remember well, on my RX instructions manual they say to NOT use E10. May be it's different in other countries but better giving a look to manual.

There's a label stuck to the inside of the fuel filler door that (on my 2018 RX) says E5 E10 - meaning that either can be used. Again, different countries may be different but I think all Lexus engines from about 2005 onwards, with just one or two exceptions, can use E10.

59 minutes ago, Cypry 1 said:

I have noticed that with the new E10 petrol that my fuel consumtion has increased.

Yes, sadly that is a known side effect and is well documented.

• Like 1

I think this issue is discussed in other parts of the Forum .....  simply ( if it ever could be :unsure: ) the E10 has less fuel energy than the E5 and therefore one gets less mpg ..  now, whether the E10 or E5 is the most compatible for your engine is quite another telling matter 

Malc

On 3/21/2022 at 11:13 AM, Cypry 1 said:

I have noticed that with the new E10 petrol that my fuel consumtion has increased.

Has anybody done a comparison between E5 and E10fuel consumption

I haven’t done a comparison because I always go to the same BP pump, which turns out to be E5.

But then it IS called BP Ultimate so I might as well get their best!

Mind you, I suppose it also indicates that that’s the best they’ll ever offer - unless they can develop an Ultimate Plus!

my local BP petrol station and pumps are a part of the MFG group ........  you know, the ASDA guys ......... so I'm thinking that it really is all the same stuff coming from the same huge ruddy tanks somewhere next to a shipping oil terminal ......  how MFG can differentiate with octanes of 95  97  and 99 heaven alone knows ...  wonder if they do which is more important 

Malc

Ive noticed a lot of variability not just between E5 and E10 but also between different fill ups of E10 in my C200. Its the car that gets the most miles put on it. 

Between E5 and E10 theres a consistent 2mpg drop in town and about 5mpg drop on a long run. 

When I say Ive noticed a difference between different fill ups of E10, its very variable. Sometimes it'll get 40mpg on a run which is normal on E10. The other day I went on the M62 and the mpg indicator refused to go above 36mpg. Same speed on cruise control, same distance and the temperature was actually higher so the engine warmed up relatively quickly too. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Ive noticed a lot of variability not just between E5 and E10 but also between different fill ups of E10 in my C200. Its the car that gets the most miles put on it. 

Between E5 and E10 theres a consistent 2mpg drop in town and about 5mpg drop on a long run. 

When I say Ive noticed a difference between different fill ups of E10, its very variable. Sometimes it'll get 40mpg on a run which is normal on E10. The other day I went on the M62 and the mpg indicator refused to go above 36mpg. Same speed on cruise control, same distance and the temperature was actually higher so the engine warmed up relatively quickly too. 

Wind direction?

3 hours ago, rayaans said:

I'm finding the same with E10 - variability between fill ups and what I also think is how long E10 has been in my petrol tank - I now think that the longer it's in the tank the worse the mpg is. 

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

I'm finding the same with E10 - variability between fill ups and what I also think is how long E10 has been in my petrol tank - I now think that the longer it's in the tank the worse the mpg is. 

Potentially. I did go on holiday maybe that caused the fuel to go "off" so to speak. 

Also was a bit rough in the lawnmower after 2 weeks

• Like 1