Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Roadside Assistance cover issue

08ISF

Hi,

Just a heads up for those whose  old style warranty has expired and who now have to source roadside assistance. The old Lexus breakdown scheme allowed a member to add a second person on , who would be covered for any car and the Lexus website gives the impression this is still the case. It is not as I've just discovered, upon renewing my cover. It seems that the whole thing has been outsourced to the AA who will not cover a second person in the way offered previously. I've now cancelled my membership and bought elsewhere, but the b*****s have hit me for a cancellation charge. Mis - selling anyone?

I shall be taking this up with Lexus' new CEO once I find out how to contact him. This, together with the Relax so called warranty,  means it is likely that I will becoming an ex customer of Lexus quite soon.

Graham

59 minutes ago, 08ISF said:

Hi,

Just a heads up for those whose  old style warranty has expired and who now have to source roadside assistance. The old Lexus breakdown scheme allowed a member to add a second person on , who would be covered for any car and the Lexus website gives the impression this is still the case. It is not as I've just discovered, upon renewing my cover. It seems that the whole thing has been outsourced to the AA who will not cover a second person in the way offered previously. I've now cancelled my membership and bought elsewhere, but the b*****s have hit me for a cancellation charge. Mis - selling anyone?

I shall be taking this up with Lexus' new CEO once I find out how to contact him. This, together with the Relax so called warranty,  means it is likely that I will becoming an ex customer of Lexus quite soon.

Graham

Whoever you spoke to has got it wrong.

Just three weeks ago I had to buy breakdown cover and did so through Lexus Roadside Assistance. Everything is still the same, from the car cover to the second driver/any car scenario - the only thing that's changed is that it used to be free as part of the Extended Warranty but now it isn't.

5 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Whoever you spoke to has got it wrong.

Just three weeks ago I had to buy breakdown cover and did so through Lexus Roadside Assistance. Everything is still the same, from the car cover to the second driver/any car scenario - the only thing that's changed is that it used to be free as part of the Extended Warranty but now it isn't.

I spoke to two separate people at LRA this morning who said the same thing, and apparently this has happened in the last couple of weeks where Lexus UK have handed it all over instead of administering it themselves. The last person I spoke to said there would be a delay in processing my return payment as they had such a backlog of cancellations. Take from that what you will. It might be that your renewal happened before they changed it all.

The Lexus website still says a second person can be added but the AA will only add that to the main members car , not any car as previously. I would recommend that you all check exactly what you've bought, because there seems to be some wriggling going on.

Lexus seems to be turning into not the company that it has been in the past.

I'll see what their new CEO has to say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've had Lexus Roadside assistance for many years, both as part of the warranty and as additional purchase when it runs out, and it has always been the case that you could add a partners/spouse and that you and your partner were covered for nay vehicle as a passenger or driver. The only time we've ever needed it was when my wife broke down in her Yaris and, of course, they responded.

I have recently renewed my LRA online as it expired 8th March. I got an email confirmation which said that my paperwork and cards would follow in the post. after waiting a couple of weeks and nothing arrived I gave them a ring. I was told that they don't provide plastic cards anymore as they are trying to be "environmentally friendly" but after discussion they agreed to send me some paperwork to confirm my cover. 

This finally arrived after another couple of weeks. When that arrived there was a copy of the Terms and Conditions booklet which looked different to what I've had before. When I read the Ts & Cs there was no mention of cover for a partner or for other vehicles. So I rang again and queried this. I was told that the cover is still there but this is what they have to send out. I said that this was no good to me as if at some time in the future I needed assistance they could refuse to come out and stating the Ts & Cs that I'd been given. The guy on the phone eventually, after speaking to a manager, agreed that he could send me an email to confirm that we are still covered. He also explained to me that although the service has been provided by the AA for a number of years the admin side has always been carried out by Lexus but they have now contracted this out to the AA as well. I also asked if he had many calls querying this and he admitted that he had and that these two terms was what people were asking about.

I have done some research and have found that on the Lexus website Here there are details of LRA stating that partner and other vehicles are included but there are two buttons for links to the Ts & Cs, one for new purchasers and one for renewals. Needless to say the Ts & Cs are different. The one for renewals is the one that was sent to me and the one for new purchases is the old Ts & Cs that we used to receive which includes definitions for Other Vehicle and Partner.

It would seem to me from this that Lexus are changing the cover without telling us.

Interesting info guys, good research. Definitely keep it in mind when ours comes up for renewal.

I remember the first time I used the cover on my Abarth, was told over the phone 'your cover doesn't include that' - after discussion with I presume a supervisor, they then apologised and arranged the call out, followed by 'that's an amazing cover'.

I've only ever used it for my non-Lexus cars and being a passenger in friends cars, always gives me a giggle on how good the cover is.

• Like 1

Well that is certainly confusing on the website - I had my LRA renewed when I took the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty and I received a booklet (and plastic card) as per the new customer T&Cs on the website and then added my partner (who has a Toyota) who also received her own plastic card. According to the documents we received both my partner and I are covered for any car we are driving or in. I will be looking at any T&Cs very carefully come November when I would be renewing again. 

The website states 

PERSONAL COVER

Cover extends to when you're driving or a passenger in any other car.a.

and so does this FAQ document on the Lexus Website
https://www.roadsidecover.com/Documents/Lexus/Lexus_FAQs_0122.pdf

Its clearly a new document on FAQs as its giving the option of renewal for 12 or 24 months. Previously it used to be 12 months and no other option unless you have Extended Warranty

On 3/21/2022 at 11:33 AM, Cypry 1 said:

I have just taken out the new 10 year plus warranty and this includes breakdown cover with the option to add a second person

Jim,is the option if exercised, free of charge in your case ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update everybody, I  took this issue up with Lexus senior management. The result is that yes you can add a partner who will be covered in any car, as it was previously. I have this in writing and a quick check with LRA confirms so the AA have been brought into line.

• Thanks 2

I am kind of late to the party, but my renewal came last week and it definitely includes nominated driver... or so it advertises. Contacting Lexus GB may have been good for all of us! As well, I thought AA was always the LRA partner. 

image.thumb.jpeg.647fa8e9e8ccc4f1e0f99575208750a6.jpeg

The wording hasn't changed , just the definition of the nominated driver. When I renewed I was told by two people at LRA  that the nominated driver was only covered to drive the Lexus, which is no good to me as she won't drive it! This may have been due to the staff not being briefed properly but Lexus have now confirmed that both the main driver and the nominated driver are covered regardless of what car they are driving and LRA staff seem to be aware now. The only proviso is that if you call them out give them the reg no of your Lexus because that is how they identify you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Roadside Assistance and Recovery  .............  not with LRA nor the AA  BUT with the RAC and today the RAC sales lady at the local supermarket proffered her wares and I politely said .................  No Thank You ..  I'm a Life Member ( and now get all add-ons ....  for FREE each and every year ) to which she said  ...........  Thank you for being a Member Sir ! 

How unusual I thought to get such politeness these days :wink3:

AND by the way that also includes, and always has done I believe both me and my partnner driving any car whatsoever anywhere and even free assistance to the car driver when we're a passenger in that car too 

Maybe it's best to just go buy yourself Life Membership of summat like the AA or RAC and enjoy this for the rest of your days 

............would it still be available tho' I'm wondering :unsure:

Malc

sorry if I've hijacked this Thread

Just priced RAC for me and my wife covered for any car for UK National cover and its twice the price of the same Lexus cover (and Lexus cover is also European cover too which would be additional for RAC). Unless I'm missing something the Lexus breakdown cover is still excellent value for money in that case (and mine is included in the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty too). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

Just priced RAC for me and my wife covered for any car for UK National cover and its twice the price of the same Lexus cover (and Lexus cover is also European cover too which would be additional for RAC). Unless I'm missing something the Lexus breakdown cover is still excellent value for money in that case (and mine is included in the 10 Year Plus Extended Warranty too). 

You are missing nothing Phil. Let those that wish to avoid/evade Lexus offerings, do so.👍

4 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

You are missing nothing Phil. Let those that wish to avoid/evade Lexus offerings, do so.👍

I've no problem with market choices - the more the better - but was just rather surprised by how much more the RAC (and I would assume AA too) is over the Lexus offer. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

I've no problem with market choices - the more the better - but was just rather surprised by how much more the RAC (and I would assume AA too) is over the Lexus offer. 

The Lexus cover has always been great value, I guess an additional benefit of a reliable manufacturer is the breakdown services give them good discounts to pass on to owners.

However never purchase direct AA/RAC cover without using some form of discount code/cashback provider such as Quidco - they always have high offers on, and for renewals they tend to give a no claims discounts.

image.thumb.png.3908bc737c9369db51292c0d387093f9.png

• Like 2

OK, maybe I over-egged my RAC cover financial advantages 

Having bought RAC Life Membership Cover back donkeys years ago .  and having then added-on all the extras in latter years when i began my European Grand Tours and , if memory serves me, paid about £80 a year for ALL global and UK cover ......  they now give it to me for FREE  ....  yes FREE ....  as a Life Member i guess for 50+ years :wink3:

I haven't asked for it for free, it's just appeared that way .  a loyalty bonus I guess

AND of course driving my Lexii for 20+ years the call-outs have mainly been for punctures, the rare alternator too ....... twice in 2 different Ls400s over all those years 

Maybe there's a RAC risk analysis bonus for driving Lexus perception of lesser call-outs to attend ????

Malc 

• Like 2