Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Opinion on battery health - GS450h on Autotrader

Hi,

I'm looking at a 2012 GS450h on Autotrader. The car seems to be good (I haven't actually seen it) but there is something potentially worrying from the pictures - the hybrid Battery seem to be very close to minimum. This is possibly caused by the car sitting unused for a while (the car has done only 300ish mile since November). From what I've researched until now the normal range of the Battery charge is somewhere between 2-8 bars. 

So the question is: Is this an issue? I know it's impossible to say 100% without testing the Battery but getting an opinion is a good start.

This is the ad: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202112060279397?sort=relevance&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&make=Lexus&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&postcode=ls134sf&year-from=2012&model=GS 450h&include-delivery-option=on&page=2&percentVehiclePriceDeposit=true

Screenshot 2022-03-27 at 13.49.54.png

Shouldn't be a problem, except the traction Battery may need dealer intervention to recharge to a serviceable level. Whether the selling dealer can do this one would need to enquire.

Personally I would request the car go for a hybrid health check before purchase.

• Like 3

Just now, NemesisUK said:

Personally I would request the car go for a hybrid health check before purchase.

This will be my main requirement if I decide to buy it.

The Battery gauge on that screen isn't a true reading of the state of charge of the actual Battery.

We, as the end users/drivers only get to access 60% of the Battery capacity so, in overly simplistic terms, think of it as having another 20% below the bottom and another 20% above the top. The screen is only illustrating what's left of 'our' capacity.

Given that, I don't think there will be a problem in getting the car started but, as Peter said above, there is a possibility that a dealer may have to be called to get it started, albeit a small possibility.

• Like 1

Hello Boris,

This Battery bar looks to be taken when car is not fully powered on - I have same if I clean interior and only have radio on without ignition 🙂 As soon as you press brake pedal and start button the Battery bar will show reading 🙂

It is also right that for the most of the time you will have 6/8 bars and on 2 car will turn off engine charging if it won't chare by other means like going downhill, coasting.

• 1 month later...

There are 2 main things to consider (as well as loads of other things like its driving history, how it was mainly driven, how often, maintenance, temperatures etc etc of course).

1/ is capacity which cannot be known for sure without full testing with the Battery removed from the car, the other is cycle life which if i am looking at the correct ad, we can only estimate with a car that has covered 160,000miles the Battery modules may now be approaching the end of their natural cycle life. 

I get asked about this a lot & there is no quick or simple answer or reliable user test. If buying from a dealer i would suggest asking for a weeks test drive & I can help advise you with your experience, if they wont agree - walk away.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's probably worth me updating the thread... I actually bought the car (almost 2 months ago) and it is perfectly fine. As Kijan suggested, the picture was taken while the car was not in "Ready". It has passed it's Battery health check since I bought it so I'll have a peace of mind for another year.

42 minutes ago, Anevb said:

It's probably worth me updating the thread... I actually bought the car (almost 2 months ago) and it is perfectly fine. As Kijan suggested, the picture was taken while the car was not in "Ready". It has passed it's Battery health check since I bought it so I'll have a peace of mind for another year.

Hi Boris, I'm pleased to hear you are happy with your GS, I loved mine! - bear in mind though that a "Health Check" is purely a snapshot of the batteries' state of health at that particular moment in time it is not any form of reliable indicator of its health 1 minute or 1 year 2,3, or 4 etc years later. 

• Like 2