Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car drifts over to left/right

Hi Everyone,

My car(rx450h f sport) has started to drift over to the left or right.

This happens whether i am going 20 or 70 mph,is this the tracking/balance of wheels.

Where i live in swindon its like pot hole city,maybe something has been knocked out.

Many Thanks

Alan D

Yes car pressre is showing has 2.6 and tyre depth is 4.8 mm.

I  forgot to mention this has only started since i got my car back from a service 3wks ago or is that just coincedence.

Alan

When I had nominal drift, it was old and worn tyres.

When I had significant drift, it was corroded suspension parts.

As situation only noticed on return from service, suggest you contact the garage you used.  Tell them what you have noticed after service and ask if anything they did or noticed could be responsible.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

As situation only noticed on return from service, suggest you contact the garage you used.  Tell them what you have noticed after service and ask if anything they did or noticed could be responsible.

Thx Barry

Rang them,still waiting for reply.

Alan

Apologies for suggesting something as simple as this, but I am drawing from one of my experiences.

A few years ago my wife picked up a new RAV4 and, after driving it for 2 days said to me something isn’t right, the car seems to not drive straight, it wanders from side to side.

I gave it a good look over the following day and was horrified at what I found. This was a brand new car straight out of the dealership and all of the wheel bolts on both front wheels were loose, not dramatically so but still loose.

You may have checked already, but given that you mentioned it was ok until a recent service I thought I would mention it.

4 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

Apologies for suggesting something as simple as this, but I am drawing from one of my experiences.

A few years ago my wife picked up a new RAV4 and, after driving it for 2 days said to me something isn’t right, the car seems to not drive straight, it wanders from side to side.

I gave it a good look over the following day and was horrified at what I found. This was a brand new car straight out of the dealership and all of the wheel bolts on both front wheels were loose, not dramatically so but still loose.

You may have checked already, but given that you mentioned it was ok until a recent service I thought I would mention it.

Chrs for that,but bolts can come loose.i will check before i take too garage on thursday.

alan

I keep a torque wrench in my car with very short extension and appropriate socket, in case I need to use space saver wheel. I use this for final tightening of nuts or bolts (whichever fitted) and do this in cross pattern to manufacturers figure.  Where retorquing already fitted, I slacken them off a quarter turn and then retighten until there is a click.  The manufacturers supplied tool is not good for accurate tightening.