Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Digital wing mirrors

Julncamp54

Lexus offer  digital wing mirrors as an option on the ES. On my recent purchase of the Takumi edition I opted for this after having an extensive test with my Lexus dealer in Preston.

One has to realise they are very different to plain glass mirrors  and the view on the monitors in the car has not the same pin sharp clarity of a glass mirror. However , with the addition of all the warning symbols superimposed on the  digitial view it makes driving with them very safe to use.  The digital view changes with reversing and turn signal activation to give a wider view. Parking is easier as the guide lines are superimposed on the view and coupled with 360 view makes positioning the car very straight forward. I had perfect parking kerbside when aligning the guide lines.  
Folding of the mirror cameras can be programmed to move when the doors are locked.

any down side ?  Er yes. When driving at night the camera has to deal with car headlights from the rear  and yet still show the road as well. the digital view does this reasonably  well but the headlights tend to halo in the digital view. Despite this the digital view you get is still safe enough to use. One has to remember the digital  view is  not as  well defined as with glass mirrors at night time. I have yet to confirm how they perform in the dark and raining.

The digital screens in the car are fixed position and not adjustable  might not suit all drivers heights  depending on their seat position. However one has to barely move your head and can view LHS and RHS of the car just by glancing at the screen.

This  morning it was quite cold and the digital view seemed blurred due to condensation on the camera lens housing. This was cleared very quickly cleared with the  mirror / rear window heaters. 

Being a person of shorter stature I find them really helpful in parking  using the guide lines as the ES is not a small car.

I looked on line to gather further information of these units and apart from one comparison between the Audi E camera   version I couldn’t find much beyond  one in Japanese showing the functions.

They do take time to get used to under different driving conditions took me about a week to fully trust and have faith in the display , however they’ll be like marmite  love them or hate them.

DE45CD2D-3C20-4F76-BB79-EF16DC25F031.jpeg

• Like 2

My concern would be replacement cost and I would definitely inform my insurer of the option as fitted.

Any ballpark comparisons on costs between standard glass mirrors and these digital ones?

This topic has been discussed before and, like Peter above, I shudder to think how much they'll cost to replace if some scrote breaks one off while it's parked up somewhere. I think a 'standard' mirror is approaching £600 so if one of these is ever needed, be prepared to sell a kidney or some other body part :whistling:

That looks to be a beautiful car you've got there Julian, enjoy it to the full.

I can't help feeling they're a solution looking for a problem. Mirrors work - and you say the image is not as sharp as a mirror. OK - they give you guidelines for reversing, but they're there on the reversing camera. Mirrors tend to be vulnerable to both accidents and vandalism, so I'm not convinced I would want such an expensive option in that position for the sake of a few guidelines and reduced image quality.  

Point taken, for the unsocial elements of our community the fun of yanking at the camera housing is like a red rag to a bull.   The camera should be returned to park position when the door is locked  so perhaps it is less obtrusive. Replacement cost is probably mortgage worthy 😂

apologies  to repeat about this hadn’t seen previous posts.

I think the high cost of the option would put most members off unless money was not an issue.  I would have liked auto folding mirrors but they only come on with a Premium Pack option and not on the Premium Edition.   Funny how you miss things when they are no longer there.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links