Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car beeps 5 times when locking

Hello

I've got an NX 350h. Sometimes when I lock it with either the key fob or the button on the handle it beeps 5 times. It locks up fine. I've checked the car for open doors, engine still on but can't see any reason. If you unlock and lock it again it doesn't beeps. Does anybody have any ideas? 

36 minutes ago, Andrew Bowden said:

Hello

I've got an NX 350h. Sometimes when I lock it with either the key fob or the button on the handle it beeps 5 times. It locks up fine. I've checked the car for open doors, engine still on but can't see any reason. If you unlock and lock it again it doesn't beeps. Does anybody have any ideas? 

Lovely car Andrew, congratulations.

Look in your Handbook under "hiccups", matey🤣🤣🤣.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Bowden said:

Hello

Hi Andrew. 

I've seen this behaviour reported on the US Club Lexus forum. It was suggested on there that the car emitted these extra beeps when it was parked in a tight spot i.e. when the front or rear of the car was up close to a wall or something similar, and then locked. Maybe it's a proximity warning.

I would have been sceptical about this but I can confirm that my NX does this when I park it in my garage which is indeed a tight squeeze.  

Maybe check this theory when it happens to you in future. 

Hope this helps. 

Mine usually leaves a message on the dash if it’s not happy about something.  Not experienced the close to wall syndrome, is that on Takumis with out parking?

4 hours ago, Don C said:

Mine usually leaves a message on the dash if it’s not happy about something.  Not experienced the close to wall syndrome, is that on Takumis with out parking?

It happens when I reverse too close to the wall behind the rear, or if I drive forward too close to the wall in front. Typically i am about a foot away and it gives 8 beeps after locking the car as I walk away.

Never gone back to look at the dash but will do so next time it happens.

Not sure about your last question Don…. Mine is a Takumi but not sure what “with out parking” refers to.

18 minutes ago, hintonwood said:

It happens when I reverse too close to the wall behind the rear, or if I drive forward too close to the wall in front. Typically i am about a foot away and it gives 8 beeps after locking the car as I walk away.

Never gone back to look at the dash but will do so next time it happens.

Not sure about your last question Don…. Mine is a Takumi but not sure what “with out parking” refers to.

Sorry, should say auto parking 🙄

7 hours ago, hintonwood said:

Yes, it is Takumi with Auto Parking but I don’t haven’t used it yet so the beeps are not directly connected to that function.

Are you talking about parking sensors?

Just for interest, my wife always leaves a shopping bag (don't ask) on the back seat and when I turn the engine off a warning comes on the dash saying "check rear seat) and when I lock the door  I get 5 loud bleeps and a warning flashes up on the screen again.  Quite annoying really.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John Adams said:

Just for interest, my wife always leaves a shopping bag (don't ask) on the back seat and when I turn the engine off a warning comes on the dash saying "check rear seat) and when I lock the door  I get 5 loud bleeps and a warning flashes up on the screen again.  Quite annoying really.

You can disable that rear seat warning in the settings.  Don’t fully understand the point of it 🤔

12 hours ago, Don C said:

You can disable that rear seat warning in the settings.  Don’t fully understand the point of it 🤔

Didn't realise that. In fact I'm finding some of the settings confusing and I still can't get to grips with the the touch sensitive buttons let alone my profile which keeps disappearing.   

14 hours ago, Don C said:

How about saving the life of a passenger in the event of an accident who is not wearing their seatbelt?

Ok maybe unlikely, but given millions of passenger journeys around the world it will happen to someone at some point.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:29 PM, Don C said:

Perhaps to prevent you leaving something valuable on display on the back seat!?

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 12:20 PM, Spock66 said:

How about saving the life of a passenger in the event of an accident who is not wearing their seatbelt?

Ok maybe unlikely, but given millions of passenger journeys around the world it will happen to someone at some point.

You mean if you’ve forgotten there’s somebody in the back?   You are right that a lot of features are added based on fairly low incidence.  Electric parking brakes will become mandatory as a result of cars with not fully applied handbrakes running away?

14 hours ago, Simon F said:

This YouTube video was linked elsewhere, but it does include an explanation of the back seat warning feature (@ 21:40ish).

Good heavens.  How much of my 50k did that cost! 😉

• 3 months later...

I had the annoying 8 beeps at seemingly random times when I walked away from my car and locked it.  Couldn't get to the bottom of it.  Turns out I had a couple of golf clubs on the rear seat that trigger the warning.  I proved it by first of all spending a few days with a completely empty rear seat (1 beep when locking every time).  Then I disabled the rear seat detection warning and put my clubs back.  Still nothing but a single beep on lock.  All seems good.

Whilst we are on the subject of beeping I got mega frustrated with the boot closing button that also locks the car.  Every time I pressed it I just got a prolonged single beep and the boot didn't shut.  Turns out that it has a proximity sensor built in that means after you press the button you need to step right away from the boot and it will then close and lock.  Guess it saves me from taking a chunk out of my bald bonce!  

New cars - new features.

The old CT is parked about 5 - 15 cm from wall and 1 or 2 beeps when locking or opening. Small parking space in garage with about 20 cars, some with drivers that should never have been permitted to drive, so we leave as much room as possible for those passing the place where our car is parked. Parking places in many houses here were made when the normal car was a Fiat 500, Renault 4 or 5 or similar.

The CT is not a big car and look at how much room there is for it in a standard size parking spot on the streets here:

image.thumb.png.b1a31e5f264cc9b91f9734760f40d84f.png

When buying first car (long time ago) I was told that the more features the car has, the more could go wrong. Luckily Lexus seems to have handled that really well. With all the comfort etc. features in the one we have, everything seems to function perfectly well.

Just to say thanks about the 8 beeps, I assumed it was some random locking problem.

I also sometime get the "rear seat issue" message when shutting the car off.  There is nothing on the back set at this point.

Also still getting the cannot login to profile message.  Seems to be linked to starting the car moving off (e.g. out of the garage) and then stopping and restarting.   This is the most annoying as it comes up with connect or cancel message every 10 minutes of the journey.