Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check VSC/Engine light on - safe to use Carista OBD2 code reader?

Hi, my engine light + TRC light as well as Check VSC have all come on today.  
I have an old Carista OBD2 code reader and app that I used for my previous car (Skoda) and I was wondering if it is safe to use to read codes on my 2006 Lexus LS430. There are no defects when driving apart from features that use the VSC system (radar cruise control etc...) not working.

I have also read online that things such as the fuel cap not being shut properly can cause issues like this but this happened just before I was getting fuel and the tank must have been fairly empty as it was quite a few miles after the "low fuel" message when checking the estimated miles to empty. 

Thanks.

49 minutes ago, DomTurner said:

I have an old Carista OBD2 code reader and app that I used for my previous car (Skoda) and I was wondering if it is safe to use to read codes on my 2006 Lexus LS430.

Yes, it is safe.

OBD2 is an industry standard, not something specific to Lexus, so there should be no problem at all.

6 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Yes, it is safe.

OBD2 is an industry standard, not something specific to Lexus, so there should be no problem at all.

Cheers, I knew they’re not specific to lexus but just wanted to make sure as i’ve seen posts where an independent garage has scanned them and somehow it LED to more issues. 

Update:

1 fault found and it is indeed the reasoning for the lights; PO430 "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)".

It's obviously something to do with the exhaust system and reading online it appears that it could be a hole in the exhaust, typically found around the Y-section. I have cleared the code for now and took it for a short test drive and nothing reappeared, all features including radar cruise control working as intended.

I imagine the lights will come back sooner or later but for now I will see how it goes as there is no obvious signs anything is wrong whilst driving (although there may well be a small blow in the exhaust). 

• Like 1

I had a big couple of blows from my Y section and further up…nothing deemed an MOT failure which I found staggering. They were proper holes.

I’d recommend fixing the exhaust…maybe an O2 sensor is failing…

My LS400 failed an MOT 2 years ago on emissions at idle. I replaced the air filter and ran Cataclean through on 1/4 tank of fuel. 
Passed on retest and no further problems.

Y section was a later issue.

• Like 1